X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Stanley Cup Runneth Over

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Looks like we're the only ones bothered by this.

In our defense, I'll note that MLB just dropped a 16/14 split, moving to 15/15. But I guess for the silent majority, this is a non-issue. Or, at least it will be until some team on the bubble decides they were wrongly excluded from the playoff field, due to the imbalance.
    I don't like unbalanced conferences at all, but I'm not overly concerned with it as the NHL is merely where the really good college players get set out to pasture.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Be in the top 8 and you don't have to worry about it.

By and large, with 16 teams making it, nobody of any consequence will be left out (the Kings were an anomaly).

Comment

I had thought that the original idea was to have 4 conferences with no divisions, with the playoffs being done similar to what pgb-ohio noted above. In that case, is the 8-8-7-7 disparity that big of a deal?
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

It is just leaving room for expansion. We'll only have to deal with it for a few years.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            It is just leaving room for expansion. We'll only have to deal with it for a few years.
            And Detroit will back out west when they put a team in Quebec City and Markham.
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
              And Detroit will back out west when they put a team in Quebec City and Markham.
              Nah, it will work better with Seattle and Kansas City getting expansion teams in the West.

Then the Panthers move to Quebec City...
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                I had thought that the original idea was to have 4 conferences with no divisions...
                That would have been my preference. Of course then we'd need to create two new trophies that no one would be willing to touch. But getting a couple more iconic names on prominent trophies might be a good thing.

...with the playoffs being done similar to what pgb-ohio noted above. In that case, is the 8-8-7-7 disparity that big of a deal?
                We're on the same page. However it's labeled, this change would take a small problem and turn it into a non-issue. Rotating the semi-finals is the key element.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Nah, it will work better with Seattle and Kansas City getting expansion teams in the West.

Like it. KC fits well in the Central, as does Seattle in the Pacific. I also believe Quebec deserves a team and could make it work...

Comment

Like it. KC fits well in the Central, as does Seattle in the Pacific. I also believe Quebec deserves a team and could make it work...
                  The Panthers to QC would be interesting. Especially since it really puts Tampa in a funny spot. The Flortheast division really turns into something funny then.

Also, I'd vote for Milwaukee to get involved somehow, but we missed our boat. Unless we can start making more beer again, or unless more people buy Harleys, I think we're done for on the NHL front.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Also, I'd vote for Milwaukee to get involved somehow, but we missed our boat. Unless we can start making more beer again, or unless more people buy Harleys, I think we're done for on the NHL front.

The Bradley Center could become the UC North.

They'd be assured of at least 3-4 sellouts a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Whatever allows us to keep making money off of Baja Wisconsin, I'm fine with.

Comment

...Also, I'd vote for Milwaukee to get involved somehow, but we missed our boat. Unless we can start making more beer again, or unless more people buy Harleys, I think we're done for on the NHL front.
                        Of course Milwaukee would be a great fit for that division. Whether there's any chance of viable application is hard to say. Would a Milwaukee team have to indemnify the Blackhawks for encroaching on their territory? That would make the mountain somewhat more difficult to climb. Does the Bradley Center have enough bells and whistles to fit in with the current generation of NHL arenas? And then there's the question of the local economy, which you raised. Observing only from afar, I guess I've stopped thinking of Milwaukee as a likely expansion candidate. But purely as a hockey town, with all other variables set aside, I've got to believe MIL > KC.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

And, once the Milwaukee team became competitive, the UC might occasionally become Bradley South. As I know you know, quite a few seats at the UC are purchased primarily for resale on the secondary market. If an opposing fan base is willing to throw money at the problem, they can definitely get people into the building.

Comment

Would a Milwaukee team have to indemnify the Blackhawks for encroaching on their territory?
                          Dollar Bill wouldn't even hear of an expansion fee when Milwaukee originally proposed a team. Said a Milwaukee team would ruin the Blackhawks bottom line (read: I don't want any competition within 200 miles).

Comment

Didn't Kansas City move to Colorado who then moved to New Jersey? I am not a fan of a lot of US cities for an expansion team.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Dollar Bill wouldn't even hear of an expansion fee when Milwaukee originally proposed a team. Said a Milwaukee team would ruin the Blackhawks bottom line (read: I don't want any competition within 200 miles).
                              Dollar Bill was also a minor investor in the St. Louis Blues because he wanted a closer NHL team than Detroit.

While I don't remember all the details, the Bradley Center was built to woo the Blues to MKE. Dollar Bill stopped it because the Bradley Center was built a mile within the territory radius of the Chicago Stadium.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

What everyone says about Wirtz re: Milwaukee is completely true (one reason I still hate the Hawks, even if that old ******* is rotting in the ground), and it was also true that the BC was built to lure the NHL, not just necessarily the Blues (albeit over 20 years ago... it might not necessarily be up to par as far as luxury stuff goes, but it's the right size and made for hockey sightlines).

Comment

Working...
                                X