• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bomber
    replied
    Re: My Stanley Cup Runneth Over

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I love that Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, St. Louis, and Winnipeg are together.
    That's all fine and good, but the Minnesota team should be the North Stars, the division should be called the Norris, and Detroit is missing.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Unbalanced conferences are BS.
    Agreed, at least in the abstract.

Thinking out loud: Is there any particular reason we need to have conferences in the NHL? Surely it can't be to preserve a role for a pair of trophies that no one's willing to touch! Assuming the first two rounds of the playoffs are going to be intra-division, you're basically talking about pairings for the third round. Why not just rotate those pairings? It could work like this:

Year 1
    Metro vs. Central
    Atlantic vs. Pacific

Year 2
    Metro vs. Pacific
    Atlantic vs. Central

Year 3
    Metro vs. Atlantic
    Central vs. Pacific

Doing it that way you'd only have a 16 team "conference" once every three years. Also, regardless of the playoff format, a somewhat regionalized schedule for the regular season could still be retained -- Metro gets extra regular season games with Atlantic, Central gets extra games with Pacific.

I'm still thinking this through; maybe there's a better option for reducing the imbalance. But at least from a CBJ perspective, the motivation for realignment was not having enough Eastern Time Zone match-ups during the regular season. As long as the regular season is properly structured, I gotta believe that if a team is fortunate enough to be one of the last four standing, a little extra travel in Round 3 wouldn't be a huge issue for them.

Leave a comment:

• jmh
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    If you think about it...Atlantic works better as a name with the teams in that division than it does with the current ones.
    Truth. This realignment is crappy. Unbalanced conferences are BS.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut92
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

After seeing how Justin Bieber treated the Black Hawk logo when he was in the Chicago locker room, the Bruins took appropriate measures before Bieber's concert at TD Garden last night.

*****https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPukBf7CcAAMh8o.jpg:large******

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    That division is going to be brutal.

Will look like the Eastern Conference. All clutch & grab & trap.

Except for the one skilled team, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    That division is going to be brutal.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Me too although I don't care about Dallas. Can see why Minnesotans might though.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Thought you were kidding. Did they really name it that?

Actually, if they shorten it to Metro Division, as Fade said, it will be a decent name although Columbus, Carolina and Pittsburgh in a "Metro" division is laughable.
    If you think about it...Atlantic works better as a name with the teams in that division than it does with the current ones.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Glen Metropolit only played for two teams in the Metropolitan Division.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    Seriously? The Metropolitan Division? It's almost as bad the Legends and Leaders Divisions.

Thought you were kidding. Did they really name it that?

Actually, if they shorten it to Metro Division, as Fade said, it will be a decent name although Columbus, Carolina and Pittsburgh in a "Metro" division is laughable.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Seriously? The Metropolitan Division? It's almost as bad the Legends and Leaders Divisions.
    "The whole arrangement looks great. But those other three divisions need to reconsider their names."

-Jim Delaney

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Should've just shortened it to the 'Metro Division'.

People need to face that we were never going to get the Patrick, Adams, Smythe, and Norris Divisions back.

If they're going with divisional playoffs for the first two rounds, then I don't like the wildcard thing. There's invariably going to be years where a better 4th place team in a tough division gets screwed by a mediocre 5th place team in a sh*tty division that got 12 pts. from shootout 'wins'.

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X