X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Stanley Cup Runneth Over

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    The was a good addition. Makes it softer somehow.
    It does, it really does!!

And look, I get it. I took "an embarrassment of riches" photo after the Bruins won it two years ago of my tshirt and hat collection. It's been an amzing run and I know it's something unprecendented and I absolutely don't take it for granted. I'm also fully aware and totally understand the resentment. It just rings a little hollow coming from Chicago. And I know it hurts even more when teams like the Ducks and the Marlins win championships when the Cubs and the Maple Leafs and the Bills have nothing.

And I never said you said the Bruins didn't deserve it. It was some idiot columnist of a national publication. In fact, I think when it came out posters here thought it was a stupid article. I thought it was so unfair to the Bruins. Say the city doesn't deserve it because of M******* fans - that I could understand. I would roll my eyes and disagree, but I would understand. I know it was implied, but I didn't like how the team, who made it to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in a long time should face that kind of blanket statement.

Comment

Hold on, did someone suggest that Scarlet might be a BC fan?
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post

You all look the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          I also want to add that when Boston played Vancouver, I was very much cheering for Boston.
          As was I. Vancouver can never win.

EVER!

Comment

White people?
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

White people?

Eastie hockey fans... so yes, you're correct.

Comment

I hope you didn't just clump in NU fans into that mix... We're a totally different breed of fans. NU fans are to college sports like MNS is to dating women. (Just playing! I kid!)
                Originally posted by Bakunin
                Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

White people?
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I had a lady call me that last year in the school parking lot.

I had never even heard that word used in public (not even in the 70s when it seemed to be more common) other than on the Jeffersons.

I just started laughing and she flipped me off and drove away.

Still makes me smile.

Comment

I know!!! [/Monica Gellar]

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Since the Snow Bowl in 2002, Boston has been in the final four of the various professional sports leagues 17 times out of a possible 184 (9.2%). The Bruins twice, Celtics and Red Sox four times each and the Patriots seven times. In that time Boston has won three Super Bowls, two World Series, an NBA title and a Stanley Cup. If the Bruins win this year, it will give Boston eight titles since 2002, or 17.4% of championships in the four major sports. You can toss in the four straight title game appearances by the New England Revolution in MLS, plus the five NCAA titles won by BC (one in 2001) and BU hockey and you'd be hard-pressed to find another city that has enjoyed a stretch like this in all athletics.
                        and yet... enough Boston fans still think nothing ever goes their way and complain incessantly. I really wonder if those people actually enjoy sports, or if they just enjoy complaining.

Comment

I had a lady call me that last year in the school parking lot.

I had never even heard that word used in public (not even in the 70s when it seemed to be more common) other than on the Jeffersons.

I just started laughing and she flipped me off and drove away.

Still makes me smile.
                          Once upon a time, Mrs. EoDS and I were looking at a house in a decent area of suburban Milwaukee that just so happened to be inhabited mostly be minorities. Afterwards, we took a little drive around the neighborhood to get the lay of the land, and someone yelled "Cornbread!!!" at our car as we drove past. Good times.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Once upon a time, Mrs. EoDS and I were looking at a house in a decent area of suburban Milwaukee that just so happened to be inhabited mostly be minorities. Afterwards, we took a little drive around the neighborhood to get the lay of the land, and someone yelled "Cornbread!!!" at our car as we drove past. Good times.

I believe that's a good thing...

"Whazup Cornbread!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              and yet... enough Boston fans still think nothing ever goes their way and complain incessantly. I really wonder if those people actually enjoy sports, or if they just enjoy complaining.
                              A lot just enjoy complaining. For so many years things did NOT go our way. The Red Sox famously did not win a World Series for 86 years, with some spectacular heart-wrenching moments along the way (along with some absolutely dreadful seasons) but the Bruins and Celtics hadn't won in ages (1972, 1986) and the Patriots did get to the Super Bowl twice but got stomped by the Bears and their coach had one foot out the door 10 years later. It became habit to wonder when things were going to go against us, how a team was going to crush your heart in the end. Fans in New England have been slow to recognize this is a Golden Era in Boston sports and it isn't going to last forever. Rather than be grateful to witness this embarrassment of riches they are so used to being disappointed. Many of these people aren't able to enjoy these days and will only realize how good these days are when this era is over.

Comment

NHL considering making the spin-o-rama illegal in the shootout

Just eliminate the *ing shootout if you're going to start limiting creative moves, JFC.

Comment

Working...
                                X