X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part 4: Donkeys, Elephants, and Porcupines

The Bone Man fails again.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Given the huff-and-puffers' beliefs when it comes to knucks and greedy corporations, I'm shocked you're calling this a fail.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Given the huff-and-puffers' beliefs when it comes to knucks and greedy corporations, I'm shocked you're calling this a fail.
        Big Banks are given an interest rate of almost nothing from the Federal Government. The prime rate is 3.25%. Yet, we're going to charge the "hopefully" future middle class 6.8% to go to school??

That's an epic failure by our Federal Government of epic proportions. Most other nations around the globe are investing in higher education knowing that their population needs it to compete.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tavis-...b_3418669.html
        Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Big Banks are given an interest rate of almost nothing from the Federal Government. The prime rate is 3.25%. Yet, we're going to charge the "hopefully" future middle class 6.8% to go to school??

That's an epic failure by our Federal Government of epic proportions. Most other nations around the globe are investing in higher education knowing that their population needs it to compete.
          At this point, given it's difficult to find an 18-year-old that DOESN'T want to go to college, raising the rates is a pretty good idea to push out some of the demand, especially for the worthless majors like English and history. Of course, I don't know how many college students are smart enough to know that they can't afford college. Not to mention, student loans still cannot be dissolved in bankruptcy court. That'd be an interesting way to draft people for federal tasks: If you owe student loans to the government, you work it off. Granted, I'm not sure how it'd work with the 13th and 8th amendments.

Comment

Scoobs is 100% correct. Its amazing that the same people who cry at the top of their lungs that Obama is leading the nation to ruin in the next breath think its okay to make it harder for working class people to afford college, an attitude that will in fact ruin the country. Few of us can go the "Mitt Romney Route" where he famously declared that kids should just ask their parents for the money.

Worse yet is the condescending attitude out of righties that taking out loans is a sign that you don't belong in college. Even the most responsible of students may have to rely on some level of loans to get them through school. 6.8% is an absurd borrowing rate in this day and age, especially since students will have to pay the money back eventually as those loans can't be disposed of.

But hey, go on telling students this is all their fault. Nothing will consign conservatism to the dustbin of history quite like screwing over a whole generation of people in their formative years! Remember, we ain't creating any new crabby old white guy voters.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Simple math.

Those loans get statements, make phone calls, make payments and don't pay their bills a healthy % of the time. 6.8% asks the student benefitting from the loan to pay back with interest and hopefully provides some incentive to borrow with some forethought. Charging them less means everybody else pays more for it. At 6.8% they don't even cover the losses now. The govt has lent $900billion with no underwriting at all, some say losses are 20%. They could do something like this to win votes from young people and either raise the deficit, cut back on other services to non-students or raise taxes.
              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                Simple math.

Those loans get statements, make phone calls, make payments and don't pay their bills a healthy % of the time. 6.8% asks the student benefitting from the loan to pay back with interest and hopefully provides some incentive to borrow with some forethought. Charging them less means everybody else pays more for it. At 6.8% they don't even cover the losses now. The govt has lent $900billion with no underwriting at all, some say losses are 20%. They could do something like this to win votes from young people and either raise the deficit, cut back on other services to non-students or raise taxes.
                And yet the folks who are getting practically zero percent can almost cause the collapse of the entire financial system and their rates stay the same?

What ****ing planet are you people living on?

Comment

And yet the folks who are getting practically zero percent can almost cause the collapse of the entire financial system and their rates stay the same?

What ****ing planet are you people living on?
                  What the heck are you talking about? You asked a question. Not my fault you and Rover don't understand it costs money to run the program. Oh right, I forgot, somebody else pays for it all so you don't care. Rationalizing government decisions to the point that they all need to be bad decisions for the purpose of consistency has gotten us to this point. Like I said, just cut social security (or any other goverment expense) or raise taxes. Problem solved.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                    What the heck are you talking about? You asked a question. Not my fault you and Rover don't understand it costs money to run the program. Oh right, I forgot, somebody else pays for it all so you don't care. Rationalizing government decisions to the point that they all need to be bad decisions for the purpose of consistency has gotten us to this point. Like I said, just cut social security (or any other goverment expense) or raise taxes. Problem solved.
                    General Electric pays zero in taxes. That's what I'm talking about. The Bone Man has just passed legislation to raise interest rates on the middle class by 3.4% to go to college and we still haven't fixed the loophole for GE and we still don't charge Big Banks even the prime rate to borrow money.

It's wrong.

Comment

As someone who has spent the last 7 years putting 2 through college, and working on the 3rd, right now, some might say I have a vested interest in this issue.

I'm a big supporter of education, as I think a lot of our welfare issues can be solved if we get people the education needed to make a go of it themselves.

Unfortunately, our system of funding higher education has turned into something a little bit like our failed medical insurance/reimbursement industry.

Having the government throw a bunch of free or extraordinarily cheap money at students in the form of grants and minimum interest loans means that there is a big supply of dollars out there available for universities to tap, just like hospitals did.

As a result, we just see this exponential increase in tuition costs that bear literally no relation to inflation at all.

I'd be much more in favor of a "single" payer system for college, basically like we do for K-12.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Scoobs is 100% correct. Its amazing that the same people who cry at the top of their lungs that Obama is leading the nation to ruin in the next breath think its okay to make it harder for working class people to afford college, an attitude that will in fact ruin the country. Few of us can go the "Mitt Romney Route" where he famously declared that kids should just ask their parents for the money.

Worse yet is the condescending attitude out of righties that taking out loans is a sign that you don't belong in college. Even the most responsible of students may have to rely on some level of loans to get them through school. 6.8% is an absurd borrowing rate in this day and age, especially since students will have to pay the money back eventually as those loans can't be disposed of.

But hey, go on telling students this is all their fault. Nothing will consign conservatism to the dustbin of history quite like screwing over a whole generation of people in their formative years! Remember, we ain't creating any new crabby old white guy voters.
                        Actually, 6.8% is a halfway decent rate these days. That's how much I owed for freshman and sophomore year, and were the first loan(s) to be paid off. The whole point behind this is where students should have a plan of how they're going to pay for college. We're not talking about asking mommy and daddy, either. Pick a major that is the most in demand (or at least what looks to be becoming as such), ESPECIALLY if there is a shortage in supply of that particular vocation. If you're going to make me tell you who is to blame, I'd say the lenders because they're dumb enough to shell out $120,000 for some kid to learn quotes from Carl Jung. Pick something where you know the kid is going to have a job right away, as not only will they be able to pay you back, but you'll be able to make a lot more money off of them in the form of income taxes. At least they were smart enough to put clauses in there that you can't dissolve the loan in bankruptcy court. Before I EVER lend someone money, especially if it's a substantial amount, they gosh darn better be showing me how they're going to pay it back.

Comment

Working...
                        X