The Cicadas are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Cicadas are Coming!

Onion headline that for some reason I found really funny: "17-year cicadas horrified to learn about 9/11"

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

First news I've heard of cicadas actually being seen emerging from the ground in CT. We haven't seen any near our house yet but where we live is generally cooler than the place cited in the article.

http://www.zip06.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...ipshoregallery

http://www.zip06.com/article/2013052...=shorezip06art

The entomologist in some of the pictures is wearing a T-shirt that says

Sing
      Fly
      Mate
      Die
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Has anyone seen any this year? They have supposedly passed there peak here, and I haven't seen them.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Has anyone seen any this year? They have supposedly passed there peak here, and I haven't seen them.
          Have not seen nor heard a single one so far. The last mention in the New Haven Register was May 20, and it's been nearly two weeks since I posted the article from a neighboring community weekly paper. If they appeared there, they haven't appeared where we live, yet.

I may go to a nearby "open space" area this weekend with lots of trees to see if there are any signs there.

After all the hype, nothing?? it was truly an epic invasion back in the 1970s in Illinois. This kind of buildup with no follow-through damages the credibility of "experts."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

According to this article, if you haven't seen any of the 17-year cicadas yet, you probably aren't going to. It appears that a few places in NJ were infested, but many areas that were hyped to get them, are not seeing any at all.

There's a map in the linked article too.

Comment

While we did not see nor hear a single 17-year cicada, on Friday night we heard the annual cicadas for the first time this summer.

It always as indicated that summer is shifting into the end of July and the beginning of August when we hear those suckers for several weeks. They'll be followed by crickets and earlier sunsets and in six weeks or so the first hints of autumn will start to appear.

Comment

Who needs cicadas when you have crickets?

This year the crickets are louder than I've ever heard them where we live. If a cicada is like a percussion instrument, and gets boring pretty quickly since it never varies the rhythm, crickets are like strings: even if they play a simple tune, I could listen to it for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Who needs cicadas when you have crickets?

This year the crickets are louder than I've ever heard them where we live. If a cicada is like a percussion instrument, and gets boring pretty quickly since it never varies the rhythm, crickets are like strings: even if they play a simple tune, I could listen to it for hours.
                  From the Old Farmer's Almanac...
                  To convert cricket chirps to degrees Fahrenheit, count number of chirps in 14 seconds then add 40 to get temperature.

To convert cricket chirps to degrees Celsius, count number of chirps in 25 seconds, divide by 3, then add 4 to get temperature.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    From the Old Farmer's Almanac...To convert cricket chirps to degrees Fahrenheit, count number of chirps in 14 seconds then add 40 to get temperature.

Have you ever tried this in practice? if it is 82o F that is three chirps per second (42 chirps in 14 seconds). The trick for me would be to be able to hear one cricket in isolation as there is a regular chorus all going at once.

Comment

I recall a correlation between chirp-rate and temperature taught to me when I was MUCH younger, and also recall confirmation of this age-old-knowledge, however I do not remember the exact details. It was much simpler than the Farmer’s Almanac sited by Joe though (ie - no math)... something like the number of chirps in 30 seconds equates to the Fahrenheit temperature. Although for a valid temperature reading, the key is finding a properly-calibrated cricket.
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                        I recall a correlation between chirp-rate and temperature taught to me when I was MUCH younger, and also recall confirmation of this age-old-knowledge, however I do not remember the exact details. It was much simpler than the Farmer’s Almanac sited by Joe though (ie - no math)... something like the number of chirps in 30 seconds equates to the Fahrenheit temperature. Although for a valid temperature reading, the key is finding a properly-calibrated cricket.
                        Or a thermometer. I hear they work pretty well.
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Working...
                        X