A Little Internet History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Internet History

Here's a link to a website that is pretty interesting - the first ever use of www. Ancient history - it goes back to 1992.

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Re: A Little Internet History

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
    ...- the first ever use of www. Ancient history - it goes back to 1992.
    Which is also the exact same year Al Gore became Vice President. Coincidence?
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      Which is also the exact same year Al Gore became Vice President. Coincidence?
      No, he was elected in 1992, but didn't become the VP until January, 1993.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        No, he was elected in 1992, but didn't become the VP until January, 1993.
        Slow pipeline. 2400 baud was fast then.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Yeah and you generally had to stick your telephone handset into your modem....

I suppose some of our younger posters might not even know what a 'telephone handset' was, unless they see one when they visit their grandparents....
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

I suppose some of our younger posters might not even know what a 'telephone handset' was, unless they see one when they visit their grandparents....
            What was the communication software that came with every modem? Black case.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Offices still have them; it's not all headsets. You may have to explain to them why we still call it "dialing"...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                I remember how excited I was when I upgraded from a 2400 baud modem to 14400. Prodigy loaded so much faster!
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                X