This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

So the third person is condemned to lesser status, and that's ok. Got it.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      So the third person is condemned to lesser status, and that's ok. Got it.
      If the 3rd person is ok with that then why not?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Inheritance Laws? Though a Last Will & Testament should take care of that. Intestate would be a different animal.
        Another question would be citizenship by marriage laws...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          If the 3rd person is ok with that then why not?
          They don't have a choice though, do they?
          Very well, said.
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            They don't have a choice though, do they?
            Of course they do - there are lots of choices available for them. Nobody has the "right" to choose to be married to *anyone* that they designate. You might as well say that I have lesser status than Barack Obama, because he's entitled to make the "choice" of being married to Michelle while I am not since she is already married (and so am I).

You're desperate to find an inconsistency where none exists. Once gay marriage is legal in all 50 states, every adult in the US will be entitled to be married to exactly one other adult at their mutual choice, which is perfectly consistent.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Why would anyone care if 3, 5 or 10 people want to be married? Whats it to you? What someone does in their home is up to them, Right?
              I'd say we have two logical choices. Ban interracial marriage, or allow people to marry multiple humans, roller coasters, and box turtles, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I'd go with option "A". It would be more consistent with our choices in health care and taxes.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Of course they do - there are lots of choices available for them. Nobody has the "right" to choose to be married to *anyone* that they designate. You might as well say that I have lesser status than Barack Obama, because he's entitled to make the "choice" of being married to Michelle while I am not since she is already married (and so am I).

You're desperate to find an inconsistency where none exists. Once gay marriage is legal in all 50 states, every adult in the US will be entitled to be married to exactly one other adult at their mutual choice, which is perfectly consistent.
                Which is what I said about any man or woman being free to marry anyone of the opposite sex, an concept that was decried as hateful, against civil rights, etc. You just like the draw a different boundary on what is ok to be defined as marriage than I do, but you aren't willing to acknowledge that's what you're doing, unlike me.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Which is what I said about any man or woman being free to marry anyone of the opposite sex, an concept that was decried as hateful, against civil rights, etc. You just like the draw a different boundary on what is ok to be defined as marriage than I do, but you aren't willing to acknowledge that's what you're doing, unlike me.

Where does the idea that it must be of the opposite sex come from?

Is it a religious conviction? A "yuck" reaction? A "because that's how it's always been" sort of thing?

Trying to apply this (one man + one woman) to polygamy or even bigamy or marrying a goat or whatever is not the same thing - even if you really really want it to be.

Yuck, religion and history are not valid reasons to disallow two people to be married. Don't believe me? Watch how this plays out over the next several years.

Wrong side of history, you are... or will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    That woman has some serious issues if she thinks that is even remotely normal.
                    I always though a three income household is a great idea. Or two incomes plus a stay at home parent. But everyone knows it is supposed to be two chicks (bonus of they are also into each other).

Comment

Plus...as I have pointed out before...this is very much based on the assumption that gender is binary. It is demonstrably not binary, but instead on a continuum. This is (one reason) why gender should not be taken into account in marriage since it would be (and is) inherently inconsistent. I understand this is not an important point to you but I know it is a very important point to many, many, many other citizens.
                      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                        Plus...as I have pointed out before...this is very much based on the assumption that gender is binary. It is demonstrably not binary, but instead on a continuum. This is (one reason) why gender should not be taken into account in marriage since it would be (and is) inherently inconsistent. I understand this is not an important point to you but I know it is a very important point to many, many, many other citizens.
                        You keep making this point and it is a very, very good point. Unfortunately grey is not a comfortable shade, it is easier for people to think in black and white.

Comment

Or that you ask pertinent questions!
                          Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          You keep making this point and it is a very, very good point. Unfortunately grey is not a comfortable shade, it is easier for people to think in black and white.
                          Haha I know. I am hoping to eventually re-phrase it in a way that it makes it into the "Gray Zone of Pertinent Questions"
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                            Plus...as I have pointed out before...this is very much based on the assumption that gender is binary. It is demonstrably not binary, but instead on a continuum.
                            First time I learned my wife had penile tissue down there I had to buy a Harley jacket, get a barb wire tat and work on making my voice deeper.
                            Last edited by burd; 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              First time I learned my wife had penile tissue down there I had to buy a Harley jacket, get a barb wire tat and work on making my voice deeper.
                              Van Kliburn's wife had pianist envy.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Have to admit I have been following this discussion from the beginning and I'm genuinely surprised it has lasted this long. Of all the issues on the planet, I just cannot comprehend why this one is such a big deal. Well, I can, but I can't, but as probably as genuine of a civil libertarian as one is going to find, it really does surprise me that so many people are willing to spend as much time as they do fighting gay marriage.

I have a pretty diverse array of friends, including one diehard Catholic who is adamantly opposed to legally recognized gay marriage. Thing is, the guy legitimately cares about all people, has five kids and wishes harm on no one. In his mind, he views the issue as no different than stealing, lying, etc.; an entity that just shouldn't be legally recognized as it isn't just. I find his stance wrong, but relatively reasonably and consistent in context, but that makes me acknowledge that there are reasonable people out there that oppose it. Bob Gray is one of those people, so I must admit that the repeated useless comments about Bob "nailing himself to his cross," which I've seen at least three references to over the past few days in various threads, are fairly pathetic and those of you who have said it should probably take the plastic bag off your head. I think Bob is wrong, but to think he's being malicious or carries any ill will is ridiculous.

Granted this is a generalization, but it seems to me that a lot of the opponents of gay marriage have a hard time making a distinction between what is morally acceptable per a given religion and what is legal and proper per the implementation of our governmental rules. In my mind, even if morally unacceptable per one's religious tenets, I fail to see how one can contend that it should be prevented under the rules we are (supposedly) governed by. So much opposition to a passive action that infringes on the freedoms and rights of absolutely no one. Government recognized marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. Should we prevent gays from signing lease agreements? Of course not. In a very simple legal sense my mind fails to see a difference. Those who contend there is a difference only ever seem to find one by bringing in tenets of their own doctrine that have nothing to do, and shouldn't have anything to do, with the governmental recognition thereof.

Again, I know plenty of reasonable people who are opposed, but it still astounds me people get so wound up to fight against it. Just baffles me from a common sense standpoint, but not really from a human nature one. Letting good people live their lives freely is something our government is actually supposed to be doing and doesn't do anywhere near enough of. Seems to me there are a myriad of other issues out there where the government is actually doing the opposite. Yet no one seems to care much about any of those...

Anyway, I'm certainly no activist and have been of this mindset for some time now but for anyone who is opposed to gay marriage, riddle me this:

I am straight. My roommate is gay. I don't have children, but let's assume I was a single parent and had a young son. Were that the case, and were I to unexpectedly perish, all I know is that she would be **** near the top of the list on the people I would wish to raise that son were I not around. Because of her character, integrity, common sense and my full belief that she would raise a wonderful person. End of story for me.

Yet I'm supposed to buy an argument that says she can't obtain simple legal protections like power of attorney, tax benefits and family insurance benefits because she might find a soul mate that might be a woman?

Per some, apparently so. And I've never heard a good reason as to why.
                                Last edited by XYZ; 08-07-2013, 12:54 AM.
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X