X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    As to the latter is also had to do with the Creed and the status of the Holy Spirit (Ghost). Latin Rite (Rome) uses Filoque (...proceeds from the Father and the Son). The Eastern Rite does not (proceeds from the Father). Then it got UGLY. Popes were firing off excommunication notices to the Patriarchs of Constantinople and Patriarchs telling them to stick it (figuratively). It lead to the Great Divorce between the two great churches of Christendom. Sad.

IIRC, during the Crusades, Europeans slaughtered more Orthodox on the way to Jerusalem than Saracens in the Holy Land proper.

BTW, the Divine Liturgy blows the Latin Rite (Ordinary Form) out of the water. Only the Solemn High Mass in the Tridentine Rite is its equal in terms of solemnity.
    Yah, when the Crusaders decided to detour and sack Constantinople instead of head to the Holy Land to fight Islam, that was a watershed moment that I've heard even echoes down to this day. The Byzantine Empire was already weakened before that, but the 1204 sacking and occupation for a number of years destroyed what staying power the Byzantines had left. Which really worked against western Europe, for whom the Byzantines were a shield against Muslim incursion (at least in that part of Europe) for a good long while in the Middle Ages, a time western Europe was not in good shape to defend itself.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      So in other words, he's fine with Catholics being gay, as long as they keep their mouth shut about it.
      Many other people feel the same way. Do whatever you want in your private space, just keep it private...PLEASE! I'd feel the same way if someone got off by phone sex or texting pictures of his weiner: I don't need to know this about you! I'm fine with you as you are without you over-sharing.
      Last edited by FreshFish; 08-01-2013, 12:07 PM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Yes, it's across the Pond, and it's a different legal system. Plus that separation of Church and State thingy does not exist in the Mother Country...
        http://www.christian.org.uk/news/gay...riage-opt-out/

And the probable solution....
        https://www.vulcanhammer.org/2013/07...ivil-marriage/

Oh and about Bobby who is now Roberta... Dorm arrangements may be a bit sticky...
        http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org...-Colleges.aspx

(Yes, they're not the MSM, but ...)
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Many other people feel the same way. Do whatever you want in your private space, just keep it private...PLEASE! I'd feel the same way if someone got off by phone sex or texting pictures of his weiner: I don't need to know this about you! I'm fine with you as you are without you over-sharing.
          This makes a ton of sense to me. Anyone is welcome to do what they will as long as it doesn't hurt others or break laws. Society should give gays respect. Gays should repay society by respecting it also and being less flagrant.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            This makes a ton of sense to me. Anyone is welcome to do what they will as long as it doesn't hurt others or break laws. Society should give gays respect. Gays should repay society by respecting it also and being less flagrant.
            In a perfect world...

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              No problem whatsoever with this.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Update: Gay marriage has been legal here in Minnesota for nearly 13 hours.

Fire has yet to rain down from the sky.
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post

But people have been acting a bit queer around the office today.

Actually, now that I think about it, most of the gay people I know here have the day off. It's quieter than normal for a Thursday (a lot of gay people work on this floor).
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

This morning I saw the following tweet

Congrats Minnesota & Rhode Island on day one of marriage!
                    The tweet was accompanied by a picture of Minnesota and Rhode Island with a giant heart between them.

I thought Minnesota could do better. Rhode Island is tiny and doesn't seem to bring much to the marriage besides a fishing industry, which Minnesota could have gotten from several other, larger states. But the heart wants what the heart wants, so I congratulate Minnesota and Rhode Island on the nuptials. I hear they'll be honeymooning in Hawaii.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      This morning I saw the following tweet

The tweet was accompanied by a picture of Minnesota and Rhode Island with a giant heart between them.

I thought Minnesota could do better. Rhode Island is tiny and doesn't seem to bring much to the marriage besides a fishing industry, which Minnesota could have gotten from several other, larger states. But the heart wants what the heart wants, so I congratulate Minnesota and Rhode Island on the nuptials. I hear they'll be honeymooning in Hawaii.
                      Doesn't hurt to have some Mob connections, and Rhody is more mobbed up than Sicily.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Doesn't hurt to have some Mob connections, and Rhody is more mobbed up than Sicily.
                        ...and more attractive than New Jersey...

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post

How many people have married their dogs so far?
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            How many people have married their dogs so far?
                            Somebody did marry a roller coaster a few years ago. Guess they're going through their ups and downs.

However, to be technical, marrying a b!t** has been going on for years.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Somebody did marry a roller coaster a few years ago. Guess they're going through their ups and downs.

However, to be technical, marrying a b!t** has been going on for years.
                              What about man on box turtle sex? Is that rampant yet?

A guy tried having sex with a couch, but that was in Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                What about man on box turtle sex? Is that rampant yet?

A guy tried having sex with a couch, but that was in Wisconsin.
                                Those Packer fans . . . .
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X