This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    What standard are you getting said tradition from? How far do you go back? Who's culture?
    Marriage has always been one man-one woman for all of human history.

Comment

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Are you referring to transsexuals? Or sex change operations? Or perhaps hermaphrodites (which are generally considered to be male because of the existence of Y)? What other definitions are you referring to?
      And as far as hermaphrodites, I would use the word intersex to describe them. Not for political correctness necessarily but because biologically, it is a more accurate description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Marriage has always been one man-one woman for all of human history.
        Unless you're black and want to marry white

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          From an earlier post:

I really want to know your definition of gender because you believe marriage is between a man and a woman. In order to have that viewpoint, I believe you need to have a fairly solid idea on what constitutes a specific gender.

For me, I do not have a good enough definition of gender to base gender specific rules on who you can or cannot marry. What is more important? Genotype (XX, XY, XXY, XO etc)? Phenotype (observable characteristics like genitalia)? Is it the gender the person best identifies? Is it based on what the doctor and parents decide for their child when born with ambiguous genitalia?

I do not think these questions have absolute answers. Biology informs us that gender (like sexuality) is a diverse spectrum instead of a rigid dichotomy. There are women out there who are XY. Should they not be allowed to marry a man because they share too similar genotypes? (Not talking close cousins here but sex chromosome makeup).

For me, there is too much uncertainty out there to continue to make rigid distinctions. If you believe God created this wonderful experiment, I think you have to believe that God created the tremendous diversity we see. With that, he also must have created pretty darn ambiguous gender lines. What is the difference between a clitori s and a peni s? Not much actually. A dash of hormones at the right time. Lacking that, you have a problem on your hands if you want to put that person in a rigid category.
          Using the ends to justify the means again?

Is there actually any evidence of people being born with just Y chromosomes (whether 1 or more)?

Comment

Using the ends to justify the means again?

Is there actually any evidence of people being born with just Y chromosomes (whether 1 or more)?
            I would argue more like using reality to inform decisions. I am not sure where you got the idea of a single Y chromosome. I understand you are not medically trained so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume my phrasing was a bit confusing.

Comment

Unless you're black and want to marry white
              We have to use human history and what has been accepted as a guide to what is right. That's why heterosexual marriage allowing marriage between races should be the definition, as that has what it has been throughout human history, with human history defined as 1968 to 2013.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I would argue more like using reality to inform decisions. I am not sure where you got the idea of a single Y chromosome. I understand you are not medically trained so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume my phrasing was a bit confusing.
                That's what could happen in your example women who are XY.

Comment

That's what could happen in your example women who are XY.
                  In that case, they would not just have a Y chromosome as they would also have an X chromosome. YO genotypes are incompatible with life.

Individuals who are XY with androgen insensitivity will grow up phenotypically as a female. This can actually go undetected until an adult female is unable to conceive and seeks medical testing.

Additionally, there is a concept in biology known as mosaicism. Simply put, normally an individual has the same genetic makeup in all of their cells. In humans with mosaicism, somewhere in development, a precursor cell has a different genetic makeup (and every cell that comes from that precursor cell). Therefore, there are individuals who are XX for some cells and XO in other cells. Or XY in some cells and XO in others. Depending on the cells, these individuals could be anywhere on the spectrum of external genitalia.

Comment

What standard are you getting said tradition from? How far do you go back? Who's culture?
                    I'm ignoring your rabbit trails, which distract from how this applies to most, most, most people.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      Not just sex. There are lots of arbitrary age cutoffs codified in law (drinking, voting, serving in office, etc). Bob's argument is "If we repleal Prohibition, then we'll have to let 4-year-olds have keggers just for the sake of consistency." Well, 80 years on, and we're still waiting for someone to propose a law to achieve that consistency - how long do you suppose we should wait, Bob?

Bob's argument is as nonsensical as if I came to the conclusion, "Since Bob thinks two men should not be allowed to marry, then to be consistent, he must believe that no one should be allowed to get married." Gay marriage proponents want to allow marriage for some, but not for all, just as gay marriage opponents want to outlaw marriage for some, but not for all.
                      To help you, and narrow the rabbit trails, I'm talking about what types of marriage are allowed, or not for consenting adults.

The inconsistency is staggering. Expanding marriage to include gays is a fundamental right, but expanding it to include others, such a polygamists, is fine and dandy to not allow.

"no one should be allowed to get married"? What are you talking about?

If people had a shred of consistency, you'd have to support polygamous marriage for adults to the same extent you support it for homosexuals. Of course that would punch yet another hole in what is really little more than a popularity contest.
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        I'm ignoring your rabbit trails, which distract from how this applies to most, most, most people.
                        No, it actually addresses a pretty important question. Whose definition of "traditional marriage" are you using? You aren't using anything from the Bible, as it was common for men to have many wives (and concubines on the side). You aren't using the "tradition" of using marriages as business transactions or a way to curry favor among the ruling class. So one has to wonder from where this idea of "traditional marriage" originates.

Comment

http://www.isna.org/faq/frequency

Total number of people whose bodies differ from standard male or female one in 100 births
                          Total number of people receiving surgery to “normalize” genital appearance one or two in 1,000 births

Care to define most, most, most people?

Comment

To help you, and narrow the rabbit trails, I'm talking about what types of marriage are allowed, or not for consenting adults.

The inconsistency is staggering. Expanding marriage to include gays is a fundamental right, but expanding it to include others, such a polygamists, is fine and dandy to not allow.

"no one should be allowed to get married"? What are you talking about?

If people had a shred of consistency, you'd have to support polygamous marriage for adults to the same extent you support it for homosexuals. Of course that would punch yet another hole in what is really little more than a popularity contest.
                            I don't think you answered the question. Why is it ok to limit marriage to 1 man 1 woman and not ok to limit it to two people? It's the same argument.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

From a moral standpoint, I really don't give the slightest crap if people who are not me decide to have a polygamous marriage, as it effects me in no way whatsoever. Yes I suppose they are more likely to shoot out more kids, but frankly they could do that in a two-person marriage, as the Duggars show, or they could easily do it out of marriage, as Shawn Kemp shows, so pretending I'm avoiding that result by outlawing polygamous marriage seems naive.

From a legal standpoint, codifying the contracts between people in a polygamous marriage gets a little more complicated, as it is no longer two people. So I don't know how easy it or viable it would be to get things set up there. But really, in the end, if people want to do that, really what the hell do I care?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                I don't think you answered the question. Why is it ok to limit marriage to 1 man 1 woman and not ok to limit it to two people? It's the same argument.
                                No. Actually the question is if we expand beyond one man-one woman marriage, why set some other apparently artificial boundary, other than it simply being a popularity contest and polygamists aren't that popular. The arbitrariness is startling.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X