X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    No! No!! No!!! No!!!! No!!!!! No!!!!!! No!!!!!!!

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=11517
    Entirely predictable. This will gradually be loosened up over time.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      Entirely predictable. This will gradually be loosened up over time.
      I disagree. We need to protect minors from others, and to some extent, from themselves. They've not yet developed emotionally or intellectually, and the NAMBLA crowd could absolutely go around destroying these children's mental health, let alone any potential physical ramifications.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I disagree. We need to protect minors from others, and to some extent, from themselves. They've not yet developed emotionally or intellectually, and the NAMBLA crowd could absolutely go around destroying these children's mental health, let alone any potential physical ramifications.
        You misunderstand. I'm not supportive of the direction this will go, just the opposite. But that doesn't mean I can't see the writing on the wall.
        Very well, said.
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You misunderstand. I'm not supportive of the direction this will go, just the opposite. But that doesn't mean I can't see the writing on the wall.
          I understood your intent. I'm just saying that I do not think the public will yield to the pedophiles. If anything, we'll mount up a fiercer defense against them. We already see it happening with the statutory rape situations in schools. These things have been going on for a long time in schools, but only in the recent past has it really been coming to the masses via news reports. People have been outraged by this, yet as a kid a lot of us (not all) had thoughts about that one really cute teacher fresh out of school. Back then we didn't understand everything that could come of such a relationship, but now, as adults, we know so much more and can see the problems.

Now, with the NAMBLA crowd you ratchet up every one of those concerns a notch or six, and the public will react in a most vociferous manner. This is one of those times where everyone will say that we need to protect our children.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just wanted to make sure you understood what I meant, and didn't mean.

Even if you are correct, it'd be interesting to see how the courts differentiated what relationships are ok or not ok given recent developments.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure you understood what I meant, and didn't mean.

Even if you are correct, it'd be interesting to see how the courts differentiated what relationships are ok or not ok given recent developments.
              Well, the thing with two consenting adults is they both need to be adults, so that makes it pretty simple.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                Did you read the part of the article where it says republicans tried to add a stipulation that pedophilia was not an orientation and democrats defeated that part of it and proudly claimed pedophiles deserve equal protection as a sexual orientation?
                So does that mean I get to attribute every bullshiat statement that comes out of steve king's or ted cruz's mouths to the entire republican party?

Beyond that, even if pedophilia is technically deemed to be an orientation, it doesn't change the fact that minors cannot legally consent, and it is still illegal to be sexually involved with a minor in all states. And things like daycares would have legitimate reasons for not hiring them.

This is a bullshiat scare tactic article, something I'm guessing came from some ultra-right wing nutjob. Oh look, I was right. He's a WND author. http://mobile.wnd.com/author/jackmino/

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  So does that mean I get to attribute every bullshiat statement that comes out of steve king's or ted cruz's mouths to the entire republican party?

Beyond that, even if pedophilia is technically deemed to be an orientation, it doesn't change the fact that minors cannot legally consent, and it is still illegal to be sexually involved with a minor in all states. And things like daycares would have legitimate reasons for not hiring them.

This is a bullshiat scare tactic article, something I'm guessing came from some ultra-right wing nutjob. Oh look, I was right. He's a WND author. http://mobile.wnd.com/author/jackmino/
                  Why are you asking permission? You do that already, despite being unfounded.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    Well, the thing with two consenting adults is they both need to be adults, so that makes it pretty simple.
                    There's a lot more nuance than you're letting on. For example, various states allow people under 18 to marry.
                    Very well, said.
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I was once on a bus ride traveling through the countryside when one passenger who had seen a cow was going on about how wicked and dangerous cows were and how this was dangerous country. It turned out his parents or brother or somebody had passed on scary stories about a cow in his formative years that was motivating his conversation. We were not driving through cow country--it was all cropland--but this one cow gave him a basis to see it that way. Of course, an argument arose between him and another person who was fine with cows but had a thing about how irrigation was bad for the land and led to all kinds of health problems (don't ask me how--he had some reasons) and that this would be a risky place to live because he had seen one of those circle sprinklers on one of the farms. Turns out, that was an isolated attempt at irrigation in this area and that the farmers rarely irrigated there, but it tripped his trigger and drove the conversation for him. Silly argument.

I was raised to detest irrational, emotion driven ways of problem solving, and I concluded that this part of the country and the people who traveled through it was destined for failure, if not catastrophe, because it was in control of idiots.

Turns out, we were driving through a very special and unique area in which there were beautiful, naked women everywhere in the fields and in front of houses. We just didn't notice them for the cow, irrigation sprinkler, and two idiots. Now, I'm a woman, so I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. I AM gay, so you would think that would have made a difference, but I have just never been taught by experience or by my forebears to fear gay women so I guess that might explain my blindness.

But those farkin' idiots--that's the problem. And cows, to be honest. I had heard those stories too.

Comment

But that doesn't mean I can't see the writing on the wall.
                        I don't buy the slippery slope argument which I think you are alluding to here. I agree more with St Clown here. I'd say there is about zero chance that gay marriage being legal leads to adults marrying children / animals / plants or wherever else someone could dream up.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          I was once on a bus ride traveling through the countryside when one passenger who had seen a cow was going on about how wicked and dangerous cows were and how this was dangerous country. It turned out his parents or brother or somebody had passed on scary stories about a cow in his formative years that was motivating his conversation. We were not driving through cow country--it was all cropland--but this one cow gave him a basis to see it that way. Of course, an argument arose between him and another person who was fine with cows but had a thing about how irrigation was bad for the land and led to all kinds of health problems (don't ask me how--he had some reasons) and that this would be a risky place to live because he had seen one of those circle sprinklers on one of the farms. Turns out, that was an isolated attempt at irrigation in this area and that the farmers rarely irrigated there, but it tripped his trigger and drove the conversation for him. Silly argument.

I was raised to detest irrational, emotion driven ways of problem solving, and I concluded that this part of the country and the people who traveled through it was destined for failure, if not catastrophe, because it was in control of idiots.

Turns out, we were driving through a very special and unique area in which there were beautiful, naked women everywhere in the fields and in front of houses. We just didn't notice them for the cow, irrigation sprinkler, and two idiots. Now, I'm a woman, so I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. I AM gay, so you would think that would have made a difference, but I have just never been taught by experience or by my forebears to fear gay women so I guess that might explain my blindness.

But those farkin' idiots--that's the problem. And cows, to be honest. I had heard those stories too.
                          I grew up with a farm down the street and let me tell ya, those things stink to high hell. All these idiots in Cleveland who like killing people and stashing their bodies until the stench gives them away should just move out to a dairy farm and nobody would be able to tell the difference. Don't get me started on when they'd bust out of their pen (only about twice a week) and I'd be flying aroung the corner on my street only to find 15 cows in the middle of the road that I'd have to dodge like my life depended on it (because it probably did!)
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            I don't buy the slippery slope argument which I think you are alluding to here. I agree more with St Clown here. I'd say there is about zero chance that gay marriage being legal leads to adults marrying children / animals / plants or wherever else someone could dream up.
                            Maybe not, but gay marriage could easily lead to more heteros yelling a lot during sex. And I'm not talking about nice things.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              I wish!!

I can't remember where I saw it, but the other day there was a story about two people in what used to be called an "old folks' home" (I forget the PC term I'm supposed to use in these enlightened times). They had dementia and engaged in sexual intercourse, and people on the staff were worried about whether they had the capacity to form intent.

If you are horny you want to have sex even if you also have dementia: but does that mean you are a "consenting" adult??
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                I wouldn't call it a slippery slope. I'd call it consistency. But, probably not a bad idea to bet against consistency.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X