X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    The best part is imagining a day when Minnesota is liberated from the presence of Michele Queen of Whack-a-Doodle Bachmann and its associated embarrassment.
    Just so long as she doesn't come here.....oh wait we believe in equality here too. Phew Safe.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Adultery is one of the no-nos in the 10 Commandments. Sodomy is also a bibical no-no. So, as the Hebrew National commercial goes, "We answer to a higher authority."

Premarital sex is a current bug a boo with some. With the increase of teenage baby mamas, the adage of playing with fire and you might get burned may be a good teaching point.
    Too lazy to look but I don't think the stat of teen mamas is going up. Since the advent of education it is less.

All those things are no-nos. As are a number of other things that have become so acceptable that no one even blinks when they happen or don't- covering your head, eating certain foods, shunning if the person is not compliant with 'The Way' and does not respond to the community trying to correct them. I am sure the others could quote more. The whole of Matthew talks about paying attention to the intent of the law and not being literal. There were reasons many things were not acceptable that had to do with health and protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      You've basically defended my position for me...why does the religious right need want more laws? They already have their own set of laws that they are suppose to follow. This country is based on a freedom of religion, and not all religions believe the same things so not we shouldn't be making law of scripture. The bible says not to do something, so if you believe in the bible, don't do, but not everyone believes in the bible so we don't need a law to say someone can't do something. That is the beauty of America.
      Thou shall not kill (commit murder). Thou shall not steal.

Don't need laws on the books?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Apparently not. Republicans in Congress just argued that criminals will break the law anyway, so why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Apparently not. Republicans in Congress just argued that criminals will break the law anyway, so why bother?
          Isn't breaking the law the definition of a crime, and a person who commits a crime a definition of a criminal?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Isn't breaking the law the definition of a crime, and a person who commits a crime a definition of a criminal?
            Don't ask me...I'm not the one who made the argument.

Comment

Don't ask me...I'm not the one who made the argument.
              Neither am I. Who did? Or are you just going on another partisan tirade?

Comment

I chuckled. Twice. They are running an ad (incessantly) against someone in NH right now about the background cks helping the criminals have better access and one of the people makes a comment very similar to Priceless. I guess you have to be here.
                Last edited by leswp1; 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Sens Shelby, Grassley and Coburn specifically.

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
                  Broken Bad - Legislated Evil
                  www.thedailyshow.com
                  ****** style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:425592' width='512' height='288' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'>
                  Daily Show Full EpisodesIndecision Political HumorThe Daily Show on Facebook

Feel free to fast forward to 2:20

Comment

Feel free to fast forward to 2:20
                    I'm confused. Is this supposed to be funny or legitimate commentary to be taken seriously, or does it conveniently depend on the circumstance?
                    Last edited by XYZ; 05-14-2013, 01:08 AM. Reason: the answer is "all three"
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      I'm confused. Is this supposed to be funny or legitimate commentary to be taken seriously, or does it conveniently depend on the circumstance?
                      Here's a hint: It's on a network called "Comedy Central" and its lead in show is South Park

The key aspect in this is the clips from Senators Shelby, Coburn and Grassley where they argue that laws don't stop evil-doers so there's no point in trying.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                        It can't be both? It is either laugh or cry.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          It can't be both? It is either laugh or cry.
                          ♪ I'm so happy that I can't stop crying ♪

Comment

They only want laws that come from sources other than religion. Anything goes, as long as has no connection whatsoever with religion. It's a fool's concept, but it is what it is.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                              They only want laws that come from sources other than religion. Anything goes, as long as has no connection whatsoever with religion. It's a fool's concept, but it is what it is.
                              So you'd be fine if we instituted some sharia law? Or maybe some Buddhist principles?

Comment

Are people actually arguing that if it wasn't for the 10 commandments, we'd think that killing someone would be ok? Seriously, to think that that law is not based on basic human understanding of good, and is only there because it was written in the bible is ludicrous.

I don't think religions should enter into the decision of what should be a law or not. I'm with SG, it doesn't hurt anyone else if the gays are getting married, or if people are having pre-marrital sex, why should we listen to a religion to decide that those things are right or wrong? We shouldn't. With that said, that doesn't mean we can't have overlaps, like "thou shall not kill", because you know what? That is ****ing common sense.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X