X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    How are kids born from a marriage that is not between a man and a woman?
    Surrogate mothers.
    Adoption.
    Artificial insemination.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      How are kids born from a marriage that is not between a man and a woman?
      If you have to ask big fella, you can't afford it...
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I believe that today's culture is more self centered than previous generations. That narcissism(?) has led to a whole lot of problems that you cite. We all think that behavior is wrong, but is it "do as I say, not as I do"???

Marriage is a sacrament (at least to me) that is "until death do us part." I believe it should be only between a man and a woman. I believe that kids born from a marriage are much better off than those who are not. Call me a racist homophobic knuckedragger if you want.

In closing, let me leave you with the words of the psalmist
        "I will go into the altar of God
        To God who gives joy to my youth"

Joy comes from God and last a very long time.
        Pleasure comes from the senses and is temporary.

IMO, we've become pleasure seekers.
        So then you didnt have sex before marriage? If you are married your wife didnt either? If the answer isnt "no" to both of these questions your judgement is ridiculous and you are a flat out hypocrite.

Not to mention, random banging is nothing new...promiscuity dates back to biblical times. Virgin marriage as the standard is a hoax and is only important on the female side anyways because heaven forbid women have any sexual freedom. Men have been promiscuous for thousands of years.

Sorry Sancho but even my great grandfather is laughing at your outdated view.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Bull ****. No one more selfish or self centered than a boomer.
          Vote of confidence their especially knowing your feelings about boomers
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            So then you didnt have sex before marriage? If you are married your wife didnt either? If the answer isnt "no" to both of these questions your judgement is ridiculous and you are a flat out hypocrite.

Not to mention, random banging is nothing new...promiscuity dates back to biblical times. Virgin marriage as the standard is a hoax and is only important on the female side anyways because heaven forbid women have any sexual freedom. Men have been promiscuous for thousands of years.

Sorry Sancho but even my great grandfather is laughing at your outdated view.
            No and wife was previously married, but she was a no prior to her prior, too. Sorry. But even if I was a rabbit prior to marriage, there is such a thing as reflection and repentance and realizing that such behavior is wrong and counseling others not to proceed down that path. We don't call people in AA who tell people not to get drunk hypocrites, do we?

But, I am not disputing your assertion that promiscuity and adultery have existed a very very long time. But, as some other poster has posted, the acceptance of such behavior is much more widespread these days. And I repeat, is that a good thing?

Don Quixote, we have opposite views. We disagree. The tenor of good debate is to respect the opinions of your foe and do your best to refute his/her arguments and make your case. It's a foul to directly attack the opposite party. But, again, that seems to be the tenor of the times, doesn't it? When you disagree, attack.
            Last edited by joecct; 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Congrats to you, you are just completely clueless but you are not a hypocrit
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Not to mention, random banging is nothing new...promiscuity dates back to biblical times.
                It was flat out of control back in the primordial soup. Those were some days. If you were a molecule you were getting some.

Comment

No and wife was previously married, but she was a no prior to her prior, too.
                  She was a widow right? Otherwise you married an adulteress.
                  "a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress.”

Comment

I don't see why you guys are attacking someone for their views rather than trying to debate. I don't agree nec with what he is saying but I do agree that one can decide the path they took was not a good idea and say so.

As to the boomers being selfish- I told my Sunday School kids what was being debated in here and asked them whether they thought their generation was more self centered. What a fascinating response. They said yes but no for the reasons I would have thought. They said that they felt they were definitely more self absorbed/self centered but felt that part of it was because they did not need to rely on society around them. If they experienced disapproval then they could just hop on their phone and appeal to social media where someone would tell them what they were doing is OK. Social media could make anything normal and acceptable if you looked in the right place Way more insight than what I think I would have had at that age. WHat the hell do you say to that??

Comment

But, I am not disputing your assertion that promiscuity and adultery have existed a very very long time. But, as some other poster has posted, the acceptance of such behavior is much more widespread these days. And I repeat, is that a good thing?
                      Yes and no. No, in that we shouldn't have to worry about things like baby-mamas. HBO shouldn't be asking Cromartie about his kids from umpteen different mothers that are so numerous he forgot how many there were or their names.

On the other hand, now that it is accepted people like Les can help people have sex responsibly (without pregnancy and disease) rather than hiding it in the closet and never acknowledging that it exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        On the other hand, now that it is accepted people like Les can help people have sex responsibly (without pregnancy and disease) rather than hiding it in the closet and never acknowledging that it exists.
                        Exactly. There are many, many problems inherent to human existence. However, solid education with real facts is usually the best way to approach most problems. Scare tactics or ignoring that a problem exists just kicks the can down the line.

States that have comprehensive, factual sexual education tend to have lower teen pregnancy rates. States that have "abstinence only" education tend to have higher teen pregnancy rates. Telling teens to not have sex does not work. People are going to have sex. We have way too much "animal" in our neurobiology to prevent that on any meaningful scale. The best approach is to educate them about the risks/benefits and they will be much more likely to be safe when they have sex.

You want to prevent (some) people from multiple unwanted children with multiple partners? Give them access to free/affordable birth control. For those who cringe at using tax dollars for contraception...think how many condoms/oral contraceptives you could buy for the cost of one child on welfare. Also think how much Medicaid pays right now for preventable STI treatment. Penicillin is not too pricey but a condom is a hell of a lot cheaper.
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                          Exactly. There are many, many problems inherent to human existence. However, solid education with real facts is usually the best way to approach most problems. Scare tactics or ignoring that a problem exists just kicks the can down the line.

States that have comprehensive, factual sexual education tend to have lower teen pregnancy rates. States that have "abstinence only" education tend to have higher teen pregnancy rates. Telling teens to not have sex does not work. People are going to have sex. We have way too much "animal" in our neurobiology to prevent that on any meaningful scale. The best approach is to educate them about the risks/benefits and they will be much more likely to be safe when they have sex.

You want to prevent (some) people from multiple unwanted children with multiple partners? Give them access to free/affordable birth control. For those who cringe at using tax dollars for contraception...think how many condoms/oral contraceptives you could buy for the cost of one child on welfare. Also think how much Medicaid pays right now for preventable STI treatment. Penicillin is not too pricey but a condom is a hell of a lot cheaper.
                          This. The kids I take care of that have had a good education in the school do better than the kids who don't. The ones who's parents opted out because they would teach it or the ones whose parents told them don't do it are much more likely to do something stupid. There is something to be said for herd learning. If everyone learns something the same way then there is much less room for stupidness passing as information because the kids don't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            I don't see why you guys are attacking someone for their views rather than trying to debate.
                            Because his initial premise - that all people who have sex before marriage are irresponsible sluts on par with Wilt Chamberlain - was itself an attack.

Only after he got called on that statement did he switch gears to trying to debate whether today's kids are worse than he was.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Because his initial premise - that all people who have sex before marriage are irresponsible sluts on par with Wilt Chamberlain - was itself an attack.

Only after he got called on that statement did he switch gears to trying to debate whether today's kids are worse than he was.
                              My initial post (#214) asked why virginity is no longer an admired trait. It was a question, not an attack.

Then I asked in 219 if it was a good thing.

Then in post 222 I asked the following:
                              is the rise of unwed motherhood a good thing? Is "hooking up" a good thing? is the man fathering 7 kids with 7 women a good thing?

is adultery wrong? is being promiscuous good or bad?
                              I then responded in 225
                              I've been trying to point out that this culture of "do it and **** the consequences" is not necessarily a good thing.

Perhaps society should have more restraint?
                              In 231 I professed by beliefs. That stirred up a hornet's nest.

Not once did I resort to a personal attack on anyone here in this forum. I have questioned beliefs that may or may not have made people uncomfortable. However, we are not on Talos 7 where right thinking is rewarded and wrong thinking is punished. We debate, we pun, we poke fun at each other in here and other forums.

I am seeing a rise in personal attacks when person X disagrees with person Y. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but that's not how I was brought up.

Maybe, just maybe, we can be a bit more polite when we disagree.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                My initial post (#214) asked why virginity is no longer an admired trait. It was a question, not an attack.

Then I asked in 219 if it was a good thing.

Then in post 222 I asked the following:

I then responded in 225

In 231 I professed by beliefs. That stirred up a hornet's nest.

Not once did I resort to a personal attack on anyone here in this forum. I have questioned beliefs that may or may not have made people uncomfortable. However, we are not on Talos 7 where right thinking is rewarded and wrong thinking is punished. We debate, we pun, we poke fun at each other in here and other forums.

I am seeing a rise in personal attacks when person X disagrees with person Y. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but that's not how I was brought up.

Maybe, just maybe, we can be a bit more polite when we disagree.
                                You're right, you never explicitly said it. Of course, all of your "questions" led to there. And not one did you ever deny or refute that your agreement with what every one inferred from your "questions." Silence speaks as much as words at times.

I'll note even in the post I'm quoting you never actually say that is not what you were going for. Besides, when people mention the very rational scenario of two committed, financially responsible people in a monogamous relationship other than marriage, and you respond by asking about people who have seven kids with seven women, what did you expect us to believe you were saying?
                                Last edited by unofan; 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X