X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I've been trying to point out that this culture of "do it and **** the consequences" is not necessarily a good thing.

Perhaps society should have more restraint?
    You'd have a point - if you could find a single iota in a single post where anyone was postulating that society is better off when people have sex irresponsibly.

Watch out for those windmills, Sancho.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

is the man fathering 7 kids with 7 women a good thing?
      Depends. Was he married to all seven women when he had the seven children?
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        I've been trying to point out that this culture of "do it and **** the consequences" is not necessarily a good thing.

Perhaps society should have more restraint?
        As opposed to people who have seven kids with no job or means of support beyond welfare? But that's ok because they were virgins when they married?

Comment

Why does it have to be either or?

In some respects I agree with the thought that the culture of "do it and **** the consequences" is not a good thing. It seems it has become not PC to say people should be responsible simply because it is presented as a religious construct or impedes personal freedom. There are plenty of people who have no business putting tab A in Slot B that get defended because they should have a right to exercise free will. We have a culture that reveres doing what is best for yourself. We have lost the rules that previously may have stopped some of the non-thinking individuals from doing stuff that has consequences that reach into the community.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            You'd have a point - if you could find a single iota in a single post where anyone was postulating that society is better off when people have sex irresponsibly.

Watch out for those windmills, Sancho.
            Bingo!

joe - you can't seriously be this naive. No one is advocating for irresponsible behavior, but sex before marriage isn't necessarily irresponsible and conversely sex after marriage isn't automatically responsible. Some people make lousy parents, some cannot afford the children they are rearing, some abandon their children, etc. Heck even after marriage not every time a couple has intercourse is it for the purpose of conception. Your argument is akin to one made by those that insist gay marriage will ruin the "sanctity" of the institution, something that has already been accomplished by heteros that abuse their spouses, commit adultery and divorce at a high rate.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-04-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Bingo!

joe - you can't seriously be this naive. No one is advocating for irresponsible behavior, but sex before marriage isn't necessarily irresponsible and conversely sex after marriage isn't automatically responsible. Some people make lousy parents, some cannot afford the children they are rearing, some abandon their children, etc. I've seen it argued there should be no birth control period, but even after marriage not every time a couple has intercourse is it for the purpose of conception. Your argument is akin to one made by dopes that insist gay marriage will ruin the "sanctity" of the institution, something that has already been accomplished by heteros that abuse their spouses, commit adultery and divorce at a high rate.
              I believe that today's culture is more self centered than previous generations. That narcissism(?) has led to a whole lot of problems that you cite. We all think that behavior is wrong, but is it "do as I say, not as I do"???

Marriage is a sacrament (at least to me) that is "until death do us part." I believe it should be only between a man and a woman. I believe that kids born from a marriage are much better off than those who are not. Call me a racist homophobic knuckedragger if you want.

In closing, let me leave you with the words of the psalmist
              "I will go into the altar of God
              To God who gives joy to my youth"

Joy comes from God and last a very long time.
              Pleasure comes from the senses and is temporary.

IMO, we've become pleasure seekers.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I believe that today's culture is more self centered than previous generations. That narcissism(?) has led to a whole lot of problems that you cite. We all think that behavior is wrong, but is it "do as I say, not as I do"???
                Even nostalgia was better back in the day...
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I believe that today's culture is more self centered than previous generations.
                  As has been said by every generation about every subsequent generation since history began being recorded.

In other words, you gotta come up with something more than a cliché.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    As has been said by every generation about every subsequent generation since history began being recorded.

In other words, you gotta come up with something more than a cliché.
                    Get off his lawn!

Comment

I don't disagree. But as is often the case with God...it can be and not just or.

God (i.e., Jesus) is not against pleasure.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Don't agree with the man and woman thing but I do agree we are more self centered. When I was a kid you were taught not about how to please yourself but how you were to think of others and how your actions affected them. I lived in a culture that frowned upon people who chose to do things for themselves if it would adversely affect others. The way you decided it was Ok was by deciding if it would be ok to everyone else around you.

I run the Sunday school group at my church. Every year I ask what crosses the line for human behavior. I list stuff like premarital sex, cheating on tests/papers, cheating on partner, alcohol/other drugs, prostitution, etc. Kids think everything is OK if the person is OK with it (not coerced) except murder. They don't think it is OK for themselves, for the most part, but they don't feel they should sit judgment on what someone else is doing. This response is consistent for the last few yrs. I can tell you that would not have been the response the kids I was hanging with at that age. We would have had a list a mile long of what was wrong and people who did the listed things were not acceptable. .

Comment

Marriage is a sacrament (at least to me) that is "until death do us part." I believe it should be only between a man and a woman. I believe that kids born from a marriage are much better off than those who are not. Call me a racist homophobic knuckedragger if you want.
                          You're a homophobic knuckedragger (I left out racist, no reason to connect that dot from what I've seen) and I mean that without a hint of regret.

And as I already noted that sacrament was not only already bastardized by heteros, but there are gays that want to commit to, "until death do us part". I think that's a commitment a Christian would champion not obstruct - I believe Jesus would.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            The declaration from Jason Collins that he is gay also caused some people to note that his identical twin brother is not. That led someone else (link not handy) to review some studies on correlation among identical twins on how many of them had the same sexual orientation (in other words, is "homosexuality" genetic?)

upon review of the evidence beyond this one set of twins, if i recall correctly, it appears that statistical studies of identical and fraternal twins have found that "homosexuality" is not highly correlated with heredity, though the correlation is twice as high for men as it is for women. Some have interpreted this to mean that there might be a "predisposition" based on genetic factors that requires an environmental trigger.
                            It's the same reason there are sets of identical twins where one is 100% normal and one is autistic: Epigenetics.
                            Last edited by Rimbaud; 05-05-2013, 02:52 PM.
                            Old Monster Records

Comment

How are kids born from a marriage that is not between a man and a woman?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Bull ****. No one more selfish or self centered than a boomer.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X