X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Interesting idea. I myself am Christian but not evangelical. Many evangelicals believe what you say (it wouldn't be the first time they were off the mark) as do other social conservatives. Homosexual behavior is just not a priority for me (as it wasn't for Jesus)...but along with other stated dangerous hobbies, it will 'cull the heard'. In the end though, I think your premise is off. I'd bet serious money that homosexuality will be as prevalent when mankind goes exitinct as it was 2000 yrs ago.
    I'm not saying that it will or won't. I'm just trying to draw a conclusion from their interpretation of logic that would be considered acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
      Not sure if this conversation is a Poe, or just napalm grade flaming stupidity.

I admit I am having trouble following what is "sarcastic," but I do find a good rule of thumb to determine if a statement is reasonable is to replace homosexuality with heterosexuality and see if it reads basically the same way.
      I remember we did that with the mission statement of RPI's Black Students Alliance, replacing "black" with "white" and "white" with "black".

Comment

I admit I am having trouble following what is "sarcastic," but I do find a good rule of thumb to determine if a statement is reasonable is to replace homosexuality with heterosexuality and see if it reads basically the same way.
        The latter.

I'd respond further, but it's pointless given most of the discussion in this thread.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

What doesn't make sense?

I guess I don't believe in the whole 'I'm not following or disagree...so the statement's stupid' point of view.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Correct you are. Being promiscus and gay are deadly. So is gun ownership.

Although not all gay, 15,529 people with AIDS died in 2010. Firearm-related deaths totaled 31,672 in 2010. Both by the CDC. In fact in the United States in 2010, the rate of firearm deaths was 10 people per 100,000, while for traffic accidents it was 12 per 100,000.

A couple of deadly hobbies.
            What doesn't make sense?

I guess I don't believe in the whole 'I'm not following or disagree...so the statement's stupid' point of view.
            Rereading this, it is not as bad as I originally interpreted it. Although I would never describe sexuality as a hobby...
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Rereading this, it is not as bad as I originally interpreted it. Although I would never describe sexuality as a hobby...
              Sadly, there are a number of people who do, and I bet many are part of the whole abortion argument, too. I know I don't find making babies to be a hobby.

Comment

I don't see sexual preference as a hobby...and didn't expect it to be read that way.

A guy choosing to spend their time sleeping around with a bunch of strange men...on the otherhand...I can see as a dangerous hobby. Is that really stupid?
                Go Gophers!

Comment

I don't see sexual preference as a hobby...and didn't expect it to be read that way.

A guy choosing to spend their time sleeping around with a bunch of strange men...on the otherhand...I can see as a dangerous hobby. Is that really stupid?
                  It can be if you equate homosexuality with that behavior. Unprotected anal sex with multiple partners is a dangerous activity, yes, but it has nothing to do with sexuality.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

It can be if you equate homosexuality with that behavior. Unprotected anal sex with multiple partners is a dangerous activity, yes, but it has nothing to do with sexuality.
                    for whoever is rec'ing- female or male- not a good idea.

Comment

Logically "a guy choosing to spend their time sleeping around with a bunch of strange men" equates with homosexuality. If not, exactly who is engaging in this behavior? Or is this one of those Bill Clinton definitional type things?
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        Logically "a guy choosing to spend their time sleeping around with a bunch of strange men" equates with homosexuality. If not, exactly who is engaging in this behavior? Or is this one of those Bill Clinton definitional type things?
                        There's a difference between being a gay man and being a promiscuous gay man. To your example, there's a difference between being a straight man, such as you, and a straight man such as President Bill Clinton. It's just that people never talk about the gay men in committed relationships because it's not as salacious a story to use politically.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          There's a difference between being a gay man and being a promiscuous gay man. To your example, there's a difference between being a straight man, such as you, and a straight man such as President Bill Clinton. It's just that people never talk about the gay men in committed relationships because it's not as salacious a story to use politically.
                          Certainly not everyone is promiscuous, whether straight or gay. I don't think I said everyone was or that's an issue anyone has discussed or is disputing. Just noted that if some is "a guy choosing to spend their time sleeping around with a bunch of strange men", it's likely this person is gay.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I did not intend to try and split hairs semantically. I was more trying to make clear the difference between correlation and causation in this instance. Some phrasing can tend to imply that homosexual behavior causes the spread of HIV. Although HIV infection is positively correlated to MSM (men who have sex with men), homosexuality is not the cause of the increase in HIV. In fact, you can have multiple partners (maybe not "strange men") as a MSM and have the same incidence rate as anyone else if you take the proper precautions. The cause of the increase in HIV incidence is the unprotected anal sex (among other things like needle sharing), which is neither gender nor sexuality specific.

I also know no one here is necessarily pushing that thought, it is just a conversation. I just think it is more accurate to identify HIV infection with the high risk behavior instead of the sexuality.

Comment

I did not intend to try and split hairs semantically. I was more trying to make clear the difference between correlation and causation in this instance. Some phrasing can tend to imply that homosexual behavior causes the spread of HIV. Although HIV infection is positively correlated to MSM (men who have sex with men), homosexuality is not the cause of the increase in HIV. In fact, you can have multiple partners (maybe not "strange men") as a MSM and have the same incidence rate as anyone else if you take the proper precautions. The cause of the increase in HIV incidence is the unprotected anal sex (among other things like needle sharing), which is neither gender nor sexuality specific.

I also know no one here is necessarily pushing that thought, it is just a conversation. I just think it is more accurate to identify HIV infection with the high risk behavior instead of the sexuality.
                              While you're technically correct, I do think you are exercising a good bit of semantics. HIV certainly is linked to certain high risk behaviors (including ones like intervenous drug use that have no relationship to sexual activity), but those high risk behaviors do not fall randomly across all demographic sectors of our society. And yes, within each demographic sector, some people of course are more at risk than others due to various behaviors, etc.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

While you're technically correct, I do think you are exercising a good bit of semantics. HIV certainly is linked to certain high risk behaviors (including ones like intervenous drug use that have no relationship to sexual activity), but those high risk behaviors do not fall randomly across all demographic sectors of our society. And yes, within each demographic sector, some people of course are more at risk than others due to various behaviors, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X