This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Could it be that sodomy was a no-no under the Old Testament and He saw no reason to change it?

As to the last paragraph, that does not mean you have to give everyone a big wet sloppy kiss. Ignore the homeless is bad. Comforting the sick and afflicted is good. Condoning bad behavior is bad.
    Jesus hung out with prostitutes and other undesireables. He told a mob to "let you who is without sin cast the first stone." I think he was fine condoning bad behavior, at least in a live and let live manner.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Jesus hung out with prostitutes and other undesireables. He told a mob to "let you who is without sin cast the first stone." I think he was fine condoning bad behavior, at least in a live and let live manner.
      He then said "Go and sin no more."
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Jesus married a prostitue and had a kid. He could have been friends with Tucker Max. Seems like an ok dude to Mookie
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Jesus married a prostitue and had a kid. He could have been friends with Tucker Max. Seems like an ok dude to Mookie
          HERESY!!!
          *****http://www.marypages.com/ArchangelMichael.jpg******
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Maybe one of the theologians in this thread can tell me exactly where the good book says same sex marriage is supposed to be against the law. I can't seem to find the passage, but I'm just a layman.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Maybe one of the theologians in this thread can tell me exactly where the good book says same sex marriage is supposed to be against the law. I can't seem to find the passage, but I'm just a layman.
              'Cause, see, ... well, er... the Bible *does* mention heterosexual marriage, but it doesn't say anything about homosexual marriage, and, um, so I guess anything that is not discussed in the Bible must be a sin. It absolutely, positively is not the simple fact that homosexual marriage happened to be culturally irrelevant at the time the Bible was written. That would make no sense whatsoever.

Speaking of things not addressed in the Bible being sins - what are all you heathens doing on the internet? And driving cars? And watching hockey? BLASPHEMERS!
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I think Sodomy is one of things that are listed as very bad.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I think Sodomy is one of things that are listed as very bad.
                  did the bible define sodomy????

Comment

I'm hardly a theologian, but there is a passage of the Old Testament which states something along the lines of, "If a man lies with another man, or a woman with another woman, or a man or woman with an animal, it shall be an abomination". I believe it is only in the King James Version of the Bible. I'm paraphrasing, but I know I've heard of this passage before from Protestant folks (I went to Catholic school, though I no longer practice the faith, which used the New American Version). One of the devout will have to clue us in as to the exact book, chapter, and verse. Since marriage implies an exclusive sexual relationship, this passage is usually extended by Christians to include to gay/lesbian marriage.

As always, don't shoot the messenger!
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 04-07-2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I'm hardly a theologian, but there is a passage of the Old Testament which states something along the lines of, "If a man lies with another man, or a woman with another woman, or a man or woman with an animal, it shall be an abomination". I believe it is only in the King James Version of the Bible. I'm paraphrasing, but I know I've heard of this passage before from Protestant folks (I went to Catholic school, though I no longer practice the faith, which used the New American Version). One of the devout will have to clue us in as to the exact book, chapter, and verse. Since marriage implies an exclusive sexual relationship, this passage is usually extended by Christians to include to gay/lesbian marriage.

I believe it's in Leviticus, and not just the King James version. Then again, I've only ever browsed through it as a favor to a friend of mine with whom I have philosophical debates. She's devout Lutheran and I'm atheist and we go back and forth with respect on these things.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I believe it's in Leviticus, and not just the King James version. Then again, I've only ever browsed through it as a favor to a friend of mine with whom I have philosophical debates. She's devout Lutheran and I'm atheist and we go back and forth with respect on these things.
                        next you gonna tell us you only brush past the pictures in playboy while reading the articles "in case i see someone i recognize"?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Leviticus also says eating a lobster is a sin. So much for the Maine economy.

Comment

Leviticus also says eating a lobster is a sin. So much for the Maine economy.
                            *****http://i470.***********.com/albums/rr63/1995mookie/12691C17-B749-4CEC-8BDC-F62ED4E453D3-3148-0000035E49A5EF66_zps852cc90d.jpg******.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Probably because there's also another passage talking about sleeping with someone before you're married. I'm not surprised that it would only be in King James; like I said, the Roman way of thinking would take something and screw it up in order to fit their own agenda. Granted, King James was a Brit, but they liked to do the same thing. Not to mention, this was at about the time the Church of England was coming to be, not too far removed from the Western Schism.

Comment

Like many topics in the Bible, you can probably find several subtle inferences regarding homosexuality (whether intended or not). Likewise, its entirely possible to look past the many strong, multiple messages that you shoud neither judge others nor discriminate. This has been commonplace since the Bible was written. Thankfully society has largely understood what's important...and is greatly improved since the Bible was originally printed.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X