X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    So, you're just curious how people feel about this and when it predictably devolves into a right vs. left **** storm you'll be disappointed and shocked?
    I won't be shocked or surprised, no. I'd be mildly disappointed but hey what might one expect? I've actually learned a few new things already so far.

It seems to me that this isn't a "right vs left" kind of situation; it's more "rich" vs "poor", and in some cases, "older" vs "younger"

the traditional definition served the poor pretty well by giving their lives stability and focus. for the rich, the "modern" definition is just fine, but when the poor adopt it they wind up screwed even worse than before. Murphy Brown can be a successfull single mother, she can afford the live-in nanny, and make it look glamorous, fun and exciting. Not sure if Molly Brown can "enjoy" the same experience....
    Last edited by FreshFish; 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

"Marriage is when we admit our parents were right"

Last edited by rufus; 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        It was a distinction made by other writers that clicked an "aha" kind of lightbulb in my head. I probably just botched up how they presented their ideas, and for that I apologize for the confusion.

What is the societal purpose of marriage?

> it serves a social function by establishing a sociological unit called a "family" in which each person's interests are subsumed to the greater good of the whole, for the primary purpose of raising children to a responsible and productive adulthood.

or

> it serves a social function by asking society to recognize that a special bond exists between two people. The primary focus is on those two people. Children might be involved in some situations, but child-rearing is a secondary function. The self-fulfillment of the spouses is primary.
        Any particular reason it has to be either/or and not AND? I think you're creating a false dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          fyp.
          Ah! You must be Catholic. Picking and choosing just what you want to believe in...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Ah! You must be Catholic. Picking and choosing just what you want to believe in...
            No different from a libstain.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Marriage is that thing people shove in my face to boast my difficulties with the fair sex.
              Before my time. And no, I don't. My friend the millionaire has a kickass one.
              No different from a libstain.
              With such witty repartee and millionaire friends on your side, I am SHOCKED you have trouble with the ladies.

Comment

Can't embed from mobile:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52OlkKfNs&sns=em
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  With such witty repartee and millionaire friends on your side, I am SHOCKED you have trouble with the ladies.
                  It's not so much repelling women as it is getting friend-zoned, which is code for "he's absolutely worthless but I don't want to hurt his feelings". I used to perform in musicals; I understand sub-text.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    small c. The cafeteria is, hopefully, closed. Unfortunately, the buffet line is still open.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Well in my case it could be considered a vehicle by which the woman gets quite rich and the man poor.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Well in my case it could be considered a vehicle by which the woman gets quite rich and the man poor.
                        "My ex wife was a great housekeeper. She kept both of them."
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

*****http://img.pandawhale.com/17975-JOmG07hpng-lwuJ.png******.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/04/...k-natural-law/
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

"Natural law" is just a phony term for the kind of thinking that white landowners used to subscribe to in justifying the existence of slavery. Times change, and thankfully the vast majority of people no longer consider blacks an inferior form of human being.

I should've quit reading that nonsense opinion piece when the author referred to the 60s as "execrable". He probably still refers to rock 'n roll as "the devil's music".

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                "Natural law" is just a phony term for the kind of thinking that white landowners used to subscribe to in justifying the existence of slavery. Times change, and thankfully the vast majority of people no longer consider blacks an inferior form of human being.

I should've quit reading that nonsense opinion piece when the author referred to the 60s as "execrable". He probably still refers to rock 'n roll as "the devil's music".
                                "I experienced the sixties."
                                "No you didn't, you had two fifties and went right into the seventies."

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X