X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Like many topics in the Bible, you can probably find several subtle inferences regarding homosexuality (whether intended or not). Likewise, its entirely possible to look past the many strong, multiple messages that you shoud neither judge others nor discriminate. This has been commonplace since the Bible was written. Thankfully society has largely understood what's important...and is greatly improved since the Bible was originally printed.
    And then there's subtle messages where the Bible should not be followed because it fits someone's agenda. If you want my stance, here it is: Some people want to follow the Bible because it gives them direction and purpose, and makes them happy. I say let them do it. Some people don't want to let some enshrined artifacts run their lives and instead make their own decisions to make them happy. I say let them do it. The dispute has always been when one person believes that his or her beliefs directly trump another person's beliefs, and therein lies the issue. This is where a governing body needs to get out of the way and look at the situation from a standpoint of the person's beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      And then there's subtle messages where the Bible should not be followed because it fits someone's agenda. If you want my stance, here it is: Some people want to follow the Bible because it gives them direction and purpose, and makes them happy. I say let them do it. Some people don't want to let some enshrined artifacts run their lives and instead make their own decisions to make them happy. I say let them do it. The dispute has always been when one person believes that his or her beliefs directly trump another person's beliefs, and therein lies the issue. This is where a governing body needs to get out of the way and look at the situation from a standpoint of the person's beliefs.
      Absolutlely. I always thought that evangelicals were the primary offenders of rigid, preachy behavior regarding this. In the last few years, I have been exposed to quite a few athiests who shown the same behavior.

The worst is when some tailor the meaning of the Bible (or other doctrine including athiesm) to fit their own beliefs...and then use it to 'tell others what to do'. Frankly that behavior is the antithesis of Jesus' teaching.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Absolutlely. I always thought that evangelicals were the primary offenders of rigid, preachy behavior regarding this. In the last few years, I have been exposed to quite a few athiests who shown the same behavior.

The worst is when some tailor the meaning of the Bible (or other doctrine including athiesm) to fit their own beliefs...and then use it to 'tell others what to do'. Frankly that behavior is the antithesis of Jesus' teaching.
        Sort of reminds me of that one scene from "Footloose" when Kevin Bacon pulls out the Bible and John Lithgow has that "oh ****" look on his face.

Comment

Like many topics in the Bible, you can probably find several subtle inferences regarding homosexuality (whether intended or not). Likewise, its entirely possible to look past the many strong, multiple messages that you shoud neither judge others nor discriminate. This has been commonplace since the Bible was written. Thankfully society has largely understood what's important...and is greatly improved since the Bible was originally printed.
          So lobsters, scallops and gay people are allowed now?

Comment

Well before I answer priceless, you have to understand something about the bible. If you have an agenda, any agenda, you can find quotes there to support your point of view. You can also find quotes refuting that point of view. So the evangelicals are guilty as charged, and the real problem is no one really hits them in the face with their own BS.

From my point of view, I left church for a long time, but after some thought, came back. I find it makes my life better.
            So Priceless, sure, whatever.

Too many people use Chirst's message and the bible in general for money and power. Been going on for a long time, but Don't confuse that with the message.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Well before I answer priceless, you have to understand something about the bible. If you have an agenda, any agenda, you can find quotes there to support your point of view. You can also find quotes refuting that point of view. So the evangelicals are guilty as charged, and the real problem is no one really hits them in the face with their own BS.

From my point of view, I left church for a long time, but after some thought, came back. I find it makes my life better.

Too many people use Chirst's message and the bible in general for money and power. Been going on for a long time, but Don't confuse that with the message.
              Replace the Bible and Christ's message with any religion or cult, and you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Comment

If the aftermath of my fiancee's bridal shower yesterday is any indication, marriage is about carrying boxes out to the car.
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  If the aftermath of my fiancee's bridal shower yesterday is any indication, marriage is about carrying boxes out to the car.
                  No wonder women want huge weddings... a bunch of crap the happy couple doesn't need, even if it is free.

Comment

I refer you to my comment today in the other thread, as they apply here and I'm too lazy to retype them.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      No wonder women want huge weddings... a bunch of crap the happy couple doesn't need, even if it is free.
                      Hey, I need that $200 cake stand. What, you want me putting my cakes on a $195 cake stand? Well **** you.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                        I refer you to my comment today in the other thread, as they apply here and I'm too lazy to retype them.
                        They have these wonderful functions these days called "copy" and "paste" that you might want to explore a little.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          They have these wonderful functions these days called "copy" and "paste" that you might want to explore a little.
                          Naw.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Naw.
                            You have to forgive Fishy. He's been a bit cranky ever since he found out that he doesn't run these boards.

Comment

There is significant validity that the only way to heaven is through Christ and that helping others to find it is 'blessed'. Although it is an outstanding Biblical question whether that means literally through outright belief in Him...or whether its through adherance to what He espouses - the Word. I happen to believe the latter..and that those who are good people will not go to hell (including if they've never been exposed to Christianity).

The problem is that at best many misunderstand and at worst many consciously misuse the Bible to preach to others about how they should be living. Misapplication of the Bible has led to much societal alienation and much worse (see the inquisition, crusades) and still goes on today. For example, an evangelical could likely preach someone who more closely follows Jesus' teaching than the evangical him/herself does.

IMO definition of marriage is one such area. I really don't know where Jesus would come down on the issue. But many evangicals appear to have no doubt.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

My path, beliefs and rewards almost exactly.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X