X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Indiana makes it a felony punishable by $10,000 fine and 18-months in jail to apply for a marriage license as a same-sex couple. Oh, they also made it a Class B misdemeanor for a "clergyman, judge, mayor, city clerk or town clerk-treasurer to perform a same-sex marriage" which would certainly seem to violate the first amendment...
    Only in the case of the clergyman.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Only in the case of the clergyman.
      Too bad, so sad. The whole law gets thrown out.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Too bad, so sad. The whole law gets thrown out.
        Not necessarily. Part of DOMA still remains.

Comment

I don't see how you can ban a clergyman/woman from performing a ceremony if the church accepts it should be performed. Otherwise they could ban baptism, confirmation etc of specific people and that makes no sense

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I don't see how you can ban a clergyman/woman from performing a ceremony if the church accepts it should be performed. Otherwise they could ban baptism, confirmation etc of specific people and that makes no sense
            I believe that was the point of Priceless's argument, and if you get dissent on that, the person is likely looking for a fascist dictatorship. The only point I was trying to make is, similar to the line-item veto made during the recent DOMA ruling, the felony portion of the law may still exist, as states are still reserved the right to refuse the recognition of certain unions. It's certainly technicality-based grounds on which they are doing it (i.e. the applicant not of the appropriate sex would be the one charged), but that doesn't mean they can stop someone from crossing the border to join in a civil union and claim corresponding federal credits or deductions as the case may be.

Comment

The felony part of the law (as I read in the article posted) is for "Falsifying a marriage application" which is what would happen if two members of the same gender were to apply for one. Clearly, preventing same sex marriage is the intent of the law, but it's not the only way someone could be charged.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

My head hurts. Wouldn't it be lovely if they would spend half as much time and exhibit half as much creativity trying to solve the real problems of the world that Jesus spent so much time telling us to work on.

Comment

My head hurts. Wouldn't it be lovely if they would spend half as much time and exhibit half as much creativity trying to solve the real problems of the world that Jesus spent so much time telling us to work on.
                  Just think of all the jobs this will create!

Comment

Consequences of Gay Marriage
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I thought, among huff-and-puffers, the J word is a no-no word.

Comment

America is a Christian nation.

Comment

No! No!! No!!! No!!!! No!!!!! No!!!!!! No!!!!!!!

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=11517
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not even close to being the same thing. Would be career suicide for any politician that votes to allow that.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Not even close to being the same thing. Would be career suicide for any politician that votes to allow that.
                              Did you read the part of the article where it says republicans tried to add a stipulation that pedophilia was not a protected orientation and democrats defeated that part of it and proudly claimed pedophiles deserve equal protection as a sexual orientation?

Comment

Time to once again hear from the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X