X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I think some folks believe people that want to get married in churches that do not believe in gay marriages will use the courts to get their marriage in that church. Simple as that.
    There is no way in hell that will happen. That would be in direct violation of the Constitution and everyone like me who supports Gay marriage WOULD NEVER support forcing a Church to perform a ceremony against their beliefs.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Norm of human history is a horrible standard.
      Norm from Cheers, on the other hand....
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Norm of human history is a horrible standard.
        Who's talking standards? A norm is what it is. Or in this case was what it was since we're talking history. But, hey, that's how it works around here. Every takes a discussion sideways.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          Who's talking standards? A norm is what it is. Or in this case was what it was since we're talking history. But, hey, that's how it works around here. Every takes a discussion sideways.
          Societal norms change. It's called progress.

Comment

There is no way in hell that will happen. That would be in direct violation of the Constitution and everyone like me who supports Gay marriage WOULD NEVER support forcing a Church to perform a ceremony against their beliefs.
            25 years ago their was no way in hell gay marriage would ever be legal
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

For all those worried this decision will somehow impact them (even though it won't) here is an option for you

*****http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/6/27/18/enhanced-buzz-7524-1372370477-5.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Societal norms change. It's called progress.
                Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Obviously.
                Very well, said.
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I lean towards Bob's view. After Christ confronted the mob about to stone the woman ("...cast the first stone"), he admonishes the woman to go and sin no more. Christ did not condone the sin, He just told the sinner to stop sinning.

If one believes that the homosexual act is a sin, then you want the person to stop to protect their immortal soul. But should the Christian (or other religion) do a hellfire and ****ation rant on that group or person? Nope. We were given free will to do what we want. Some of our choices are correct, and some are incorrect. We live with the consequences of these actions.

If a homosexual wanted my advice I would say, "Don't do it." But it is always their choice and the consequences (if any) are theirs.
                  So being gay is a choice...right congrats on being completely out of touch.

Or did you mean to act on your gay feelings is a choice...congrats on being out of touch.

Just remember Jesus loves everyone...except fags, women, gentiles...etc.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Obviously.
                    I would have called it evolution, but I know how crazy that word makes some people....

Comment

I would have called it evolution, but I know how crazy that word makes some people....
                      apparently not obviously to some people. my bad for making that assumption.
                      Very well, said.
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

apparently not obviously to some people. my bad for making that assumption.
                        Societal norms do change. I'm sorry that it's uncomfortable for you, but they do. We progress as a species.

Comment

And then the queers were made, and it was FABULOUS!!!, and the evening and the morning were the 8th day.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            If a homosexual wanted my advice I would probably say, "Don't do it" also. But that's primarily because it makes no sense to me. As the son of God, Jesus could wordsmith his words very carefully...and the practice doesn't make His top 100.
                            It amazes me that we can feel confident about what a man may have said two thousand years ago in a language few of us understand, reported as heresay, translated more than 1,500 years after the fact for the English power structure with a stake in controlling the beliefs of the masses, and shaped and manipulated by policymakers in Turkey three hundred years after he died--yet so many refuse to believe documentary proof that the current president was born in this country.

I'm not mocking or questioning your faith, 5mn, just marveling at how we all, as Justice Holmes said, "wager our salvation upon some prophesy based upon imperfect knowledge."

If a homosexual wanted my advice, I would say, "follow your heart." We are all fools, and life is to short to do otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              25 years ago their was no way in hell gay marriage would ever be legal
                              You don't see the difference? I sure do. The difference is one is Constitutional and the other is not.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You mean the norm of all of human history until the last handful of years?
                                When is the norm in history and where? Being Gay was not invented in our lifetime. There are cultures where it has been acceptable over the centuries or where is just wasn't a big deal. Being a history buff this type of comment drives me wild. There is no norm. Things have never been static, different cultures have had different views and all cultures views change about many things. When we like the change it is progress (you can't sell your wife) and when we don't (interracial marriage) then it is the demise of the society. Same sex couples have lived together forever. Now they can say they are spouses instead of special friends.

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                It amazes me that we can feel confident about what a man may have said two thousand years ago in a language few of us understand, reported as heresay, translated more than 1,500 years after the fact for the English power structure with a stake in controlling the beliefs of the masses, and shaped and manipulated by policymakers in Turkey three hundred years after he died--yet so many refuse to believe documentary proof that the current president was born in this country.

I'm not mocking or questioning your faith, 5mn, just marveling at how we all, as Justice Holmes said, "wager our salvation upon some prophesy based upon imperfect knowledge."

If a homosexual wanted my advice, I would say, "follow your heart." We are all fools, and life is to short to do otherwise.
                                Word. You must spread.

Comment

Working...
                                X