X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand. Plus, I know from past conversations you know exactly what I mean. You're just trying to pick a fight. No thanks. Been there, done that around here. No point to doing it over again.

I expect to see the Scouts decline from here on out. Just like the mainline denominational churches that went PC and endorsed the trendy social agendas of the day and they've been in decline every since. In the Scouts case, the math is even more compelling. 70 percent of Scout troops are sponsored by churches, with large chunks sponsored by folks like the Southern Baptists, Catholics, and Mormons. But, as is always the case in this sort of push of an agenda, the kids are the ones that will lose out.
    That's odd. I see the kids in our town gaining a lot from this movement. Intangible things that I wish were around when I was in school.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      I get that, but the logic completely defies me. If you are letting these kids progress through the ranks the organization says they have learned the right stuff to move up. Do you unlearn that? Does the organization, which prides itself on building character, think they are doing a poor job training them?
      I assume this half-measure will be extremely short-lived. There were plenty of measures that didn't go far enough during the early parts of the civil rights movement, too. According to the NPR piece I heard on it yesterday, both sides were surprised by the landslide (61-39). Now that people see where the Scouts' leadership really stands on the issue, I expect progress toward full acceptance for homosexuals to increase. I give it 5 years, absolute maximum.

I expect to see the Scouts decline from here on out. Just like the mainline denominational churches that went PC and endorsed the trendy social agendas of the day and they've been in decline every since. In the Scouts case, the math is even more compelling. 70 percent of Scout troops are sponsored by churches, with large chunks sponsored by folks like the Southern Baptists, Catholics, and Mormons. But, as is always the case in this sort of push of an agenda, the kids are the ones that will lose out.
      I disagree. "Sponsored" by churches in most cases means that the church lets them use a room for troop meetings that was going to be otherwise unoccupied anyway. Big deal. Sure, there will probably be some troops that meet at hardcore hate churches who will have to find a new meeting place, but that's hardly the death knell of scouting.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        That's odd. I see the kids in our town gaining a lot from this movement. Intangible things that I wish were around when I was in school.
        Like anything, it depends on where you live. A lot of people talk about how Gen Y isn't getting cars, but I only see that as the case in urban areas, while in rural areas, you can't do anything without a car. Boy Scouts certainly teach invaluable things. Some see use, while others don't.

Comment

Well I am sure that if the Scouts allowed gays to be leaders then that would lead down a slipper slope where all of a sudden dogs and turtles would end up running troops as well!

Think of the children!! Just say no to Den-Turtles!

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            I assume this half-measure will be extremely short-lived. There were plenty of measures that didn't go far enough during the early parts of the civil rights movement, too. According to the NPR piece I heard on it yesterday, both sides were surprised by the landslide (61-39). Now that people see where the Scouts' leadership really stands on the issue, I expect progress toward full acceptance for homosexuals to increase. I give it 5 years, absolute maximum.

I disagree. "Sponsored" by churches in most cases means that the church lets them use a room for troop meetings that was going to be otherwise unoccupied anyway. Big deal. Sure, there will probably be some troops that meet at hardcore hate churches who will have to find a new meeting place, but that's hardly the death knell of scouting.
            I was never a scout but our Catholic church sponsored a scout troop. Around here the Arlington (VA) diocese (conservative) has issues with the decision, while the DC Archdiocese (liberal) has no issues.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Well I am sure that if the Scouts allowed gays to be leaders then that would lead down a slipper slope where all of a sudden dogs and turtles would end up running troops as well!

Think of the children!! Just say no to Den-Turtles!

Boy Scout Troop 62 of New Jersey is led by the Green Lantern at Six Flags Great Adventure.

Comment

The Boy Scouts of America vote to allow gay scouts was a very small step on the road to a true acceptance

The Boy Scouts of America decided to let gay kids in yesterday, only that's not what really happened, is it? There have always been gay children in the Boy Scouts. What changed yesterday is that they won't kick you out if you tell people you're gay. So you won't be told by an adult authority figure – one wearing a uniform, no less – that you're weird and different and don't belong in the special club with the normal kids. I don't think it's much of a stretch to see how the Boy Scout's decision will save lives. We know what happens when we single gay kids out and tell them that their very existence is shameful. It often involves rope, or pills, or high places, or a gun a kid turns on himself.

They still won't let gay adults be leaders, so once you turn 18, you're out. But that will change eventually. Society is clearly moving in the right direction on the issue of treating gay people like actual human beings. We're maybe 20 years away from everyone pretending that the gay rights legacy belongs to them, the way people do today with the civil rights movement. If Republicans can claim Martin Luther King now, surely they can claim Matthew Sheppard down the road.

But not today. Today there a people who would still look a gay child in the eyes and tell him "you don't belong here". Give the Westboro Baptist Church nutters credit: at least they don't hide what they believe. Is there really a substantive difference between "God Hates Fags" and "you aren't allowed to join the Boy Scouts"? The only reason anyone opposed the scout's policy change was the belief that being gay is somehow against God, that it makes God sad or angry. They like to mask the hate behind "hate the sin, love the sinner," but what good does that do you when the sin is who you are?
                You want to blame someone for adults preying on kids? Look in the mirror. Do you insist on shaming gay kids? Do you drive them to the closet? You're like Santa Claus to child predators. You're more useful than the internet.

Honestly, I cannot fathom what drives these people to be so cruel to children. They're no better than schoolyard bullies – worse, in fact, because they have the perspective of adulthood and still hate. They have something else, too: power. The power of an organization that claims to protect families. The power of media platforms on radio and TV. The power of a governor's mansion.

When they tell gays they don't get to have special rights, like having a normal childhood, or loving someone forever, when they call treating gay children like children "political correctness," when they tell those same kids God will take revenge on them for having feelings, when they say now you will be raped, that's when they show their true, ugly faces. That's when we know them.

Comment

Uh, yah, very comparable.
                  You compared it with churches....how is that any more comparable than the military?

In the end, I think it will make the program stronger. I know a few scouts who have worked in the program for decades who left when the initial decision (against inclusion) was made. I think this will bring a lot of strong leaders back into the program (and hopefully they will allow gay scout leaders as well).
                  In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                  I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Understandable, yet regrettable that the Boy Scouts crumble under the extreme pressure they were put under. But such is what America has become. I'm sure they'll cave the rest of the way soon, as those pushing these agendas brook no disagreement with their views.
                    This PC garbage really got out of hand when they started allowing women to own land and vote and black people to eat in restaurants with white people. Back when America was America, by Parise.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                      You compared it with churches....how is that any more comparable than the military?

In the end, I think it will make the program stronger. I know a few scouts who have worked in the program for decades who left when the initial decision (against inclusion) was made. I think this will bring a lot of strong leaders back into the program (and hopefully they will allow gay scout leaders as well).
                      The military is something mandated by and paid for by government. It's not a voluntary association like a church or the Boy Scouts. One is comparable to the Boy Scouts, the other isn't remotely.
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

One potential that I think could very well arise, and we saw it WAY too much during civil rights in the 60's, is that they bring in gay people solely because of their sexual orientation.

“Thank you all very much, but I don’t want this. Look, I appreciate what you kids did, I really do, but this isn’t what I wanted. I’m proud to be gay, and I’m proud to be in a country where I’m free to express myself, but freedom is a two-way street. If I’m free to express myself, then the Scouts have to be free to express themselves too. I know these men; they are good men. They are kind men. They do what they think is best for kids, no matter how wrong we think they might be, it isn’t right for us to force them to think our way. It’s up to us to persuade and help them see the light, not extort them to. Please don’t cut the Scouts’ funding. The Scouts help and have always helped a lot of kids. That’s why I love them. I will continue to persuade them to change their minds, but this is the wrong way to do it.” -Big Gay Al

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          One potential that I think could very well arise, and we saw it WAY too much during civil rights in the 60's, is that they bring in gay people solely because of their sexual orientation.

“Thank you all very much, but I don’t want this. Look, I appreciate what you kids did, I really do, but this isn’t what I wanted. I’m proud to be gay, and I’m proud to be in a country where I’m free to express myself, but freedom is a two-way street. If I’m free to express myself, then the Scouts have to be free to express themselves too. I know these men; they are good men. They are kind men. They do what they think is best for kids, no matter how wrong we think they might be, it isn’t right for us to force them to think our way. It’s up to us to persuade and help them see the light, not extort them to. Please don’t cut the Scouts’ funding. The Scouts help and have always helped a lot of kids. That’s why I love them. I will continue to persuade them to change their minds, but this is the wrong way to do it.” -Big Gay Al
                          "When do we want it?" "Timmay!"

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            "When do we want it?" "Timmay!"
                            "Attention shoppers, outside of the store, we have cripple fight... Cripple fight outside."

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              "Attention shoppers, outside of the store, we have cripple fight... Cripple fight outside."
                              You silly goose.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                You silly goose.
                                Frenchy, you call me an ***hole right now!

Comment

Working...
                                X