X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state of hockey
    replied
    Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

I thought the Bears were the huge rival for Green Bay. That is what every Packer fan I know tells me anyways.

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    I won't give Favre props for his 16 years until he's out of enemy colors. In fact, I don't see any point to giving him any sort of ovation until his number gets retired. Even then, I'm done acting like he was the greatest quarterback ever. I feel like we've all had this terribly unbalanced view of Favre during this decade.

As much love as we owe him for what he did for this franchise in the 90s and for the way he represented everything we value in football in Green Bay... there's got to be a limit. It's silly for us to look at Favre and only see that glorious night in New Orleans twelve Januaries ago. I love that we had a great team for much of his tenure here, and his enthusiasm and the fact that he was the toughest QB I've ever seen play... but that's only part of the story, and its too selective for us to ignore how poorly he played in the playoffs and in cold weather in the last eight years. Or to ignore how absurd his whole feud with Thompson is. Or how annoying and distracting his yearly retirement debacles (yes, I'm talking about the stuff that started 5 years ago) have been. Those things need to be remembered just as much as the fact that he played hurt so many times.

I'm not saying overcompensate, and deny what Favre did for this franchise. But we do need to stop pretending like we owe him anything. Especially while he's wearing another team's colors.

A well written post.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Maybe he can add "Lake Minnetonka Party Boat Cruising" to the list now?
    I hope he gets a Whizzanator too.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

I think he'll be a great fit!

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Drug addiction and marital infidelity?

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

and for the way he represented everything we value in football in Green Bay...
    Drug addiction and marital infidelity?

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

I won't give Favre props for his 16 years until he's out of enemy colors. In fact, I don't see any point to giving him any sort of ovation until his number gets retired. Even then, I'm done acting like he was the greatest quarterback ever. I feel like we've all had this terribly unbalanced view of Favre during this decade.

As much love as we owe him for what he did for this franchise in the 90s and for the way he represented everything we value in football in Green Bay... there's got to be a limit. It's silly for us to look at Favre and only see that glorious night in New Orleans twelve Januaries ago. I love that we had a great team for much of his tenure here, and his enthusiasm and the fact that he was the toughest QB I've ever seen play... but that's only part of the story, and its too selective for us to ignore how poorly he played in the playoffs and in cold weather in the last eight years. Or to ignore how absurd his whole feud with Thompson is. Or how annoying and distracting his yearly retirement debacles (yes, I'm talking about the stuff that started 5 years ago) have been. Those things need to be remembered just as much as the fact that he played hurt so many times.

I'm not saying overcompensate, and deny what Favre did for this franchise. But we do need to stop pretending like we owe him anything. Especially while he's wearing another team's colors.

Leave a comment:

• powerofyellowandblack
    replied

I am in the "Standing ovation for what you did for this franchise then boo the **** out of you" camp. You simply can not overlook what he did for Green Bay. 16 years of wonderful memories. But now that he pulled what he did, and donned colors of the enemy, then screw him.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think it would be classic for the entire staduim to go silent when the Vikes prance onto the field. Not 1 word or sound.
    Homer on 540AM in Milwaukee suggested that someone hand out 70,000 green t-shirts with Rodgers' number on it.

Me, I just want to get tickets behind the Vikes' bench and get back in touch with my inner Crease Creature. It'll be fun to find ways to taunt him. (See: my comment about the "It's all your fault" chant.) The only question will be whether the crowd is willing to play along:

Will Lambeau see only the purple, and boo and taunt him for wearing the wrong colors (let's wait until his jersey is retired before we're nice to him again)?

Will there be Favre apologists in the stands, decrying Ted Thompson and not ever being willing to boo Favre (maybe even cheer for a Vikings touchdown)?

Will there be people who just want to thank him for his years served, even if he's now the enemy? Perhaps they give him a standing ovation at the beginning, then go back to normal.

Tough to say what November 1st will be like. But I know that I want to be there. Even if only in the parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Someone had a t shirt that said "thanks for the memories, Brent". LOL.

I think it would be classic for the entire staduim to go silent when the Vikes prance onto the field. Not 1 word or sound.

I too was resonably encouraged by the game. Clearly Cleveland is going through growing pains with the new coaches.

Leave a comment:

• XYZ
    replied

Green Bay should be starting Brian Brohm.

Leave a comment:

• UMDbulldogs#1
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Last time I checked, Mike Holmgren left Green Bay.
    Which is why Green Bay has been irrelevant (sans a couple of season) after Christmas for the better part of a decade.
    Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 01-22-2010, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1 View Post
    As long as childress is their coach....
    Last time I checked, Mike Holmgren left Green Bay.

Leave a comment:

• UMDbulldogs#1
    replied

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
    Judas Favre T-Shirts

ordering mine tomorrow, anyone else with me?
    I don't care enough to give those nut-jobs $15. As long as childress is their coach, they won't be relevant after Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Painted_Bandit
    replied

Judas Favre T-Shirts

ordering mine tomorrow, anyone else with me?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X