Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Welcome to the world the Vikings fans lived in when you had Favre...the officials have always sided with his team (see also: Brady, Tom) especially at home. The rest of the league isnt going to shed tears for you because you have to now experience the same crap we did.
    Disclaimer - To be clear, I'm analyzing the officiating from the standpoint of whether it was any good and not whether it made a difference in who won and lost the game. I'm probably fair to a fault when it comes to officiating because I've worked so many games in my life in many different sports. On the flip side, working for the team for many year's I'll just say I've seen too much not to be extremely skeptical, which stinks because it doesn't match up with my largely trusting personality and my love of truly fair competition.

Now, on to some of the things being kicked around. I fully expected penalties if they were getting near him. Unfortunately, the Packers treated him as if he was still on their practice field wearing the traditional red jersey and never made this an issue. Just like I'll point out when my favorite team got hosed, I'll fully admit he got some really weak calls in his favor once he established himself as an elite player. The NFL protects QBs at all costs and it's worse with future Hall of Famers.

I wasn't upset about the penalties called on Packers. Specifically the ones on offense. They were pretty much legit. I know some are upset about the interference call on Woodson, but I've largely given up on these types of issues. Should this be interference in a physical game like professional football? Not a chance, but I don't blame this crew. This is an NFL thing. They want any hint of contact in the secondary called. The NFL is one step away from instituting a penalty for covering to closely, so complaining about secondary penalties is an exercise in futility.

I was just annoyed by what wasn't called on the Vikings. What was and wasn't a hold was completely dependent on which team had the ball. If you think I'm full of crap, check Minnesota's first offensive play if you still have the game on DVR. Peterson ran to the left for about 7 yards. Tramon Williams (#38) was lined up on the slot WR who in the process of blocking grabbed him above the shoulder and had his jersey pulled up so high we saw the bottom half of his back. It was right at the point of attack and as Peterson was near him Williams actually got turned away. In calling a couple of penalties on the Packers during their first offensive series and letting this go right off the bat it really set the tone. It was going to be over one way or another.

Slap Shot, you questioned my statement about who had the pressure last night. It is true they aren't mathematically in control of their own destiny at this point, but it's a long season and I don't think falling 2 games behind is a big deal this early. The pressure was going to be on the home team to hold serve. They didn't want to lose that home game and then go on the road to try and earn a split. They got the win they were expected to get and the pressure now shifts in a big way for next month.

On something unrelated to officiating, has anyone heard any updates on the health of the Vikings' QB? That one time Kampman tackled him semi-gently he could have fallen awkwardly and bruised.

I'm in no way angry or bitter, but I am simply sick of the main subject of last night's game. If he comes back someday to get enshrined in the Packers' Hall of Fame and gets up on the ring of honor, that's fine. If he never sets foot in the state of Wisconsin again and they give #4 to a punter, that's fine as well. I'll make no special effort to attend or avoid any of this. I just hope he goes away as soon as possible because I'm sick of the story and I refuse to join the entire staff at ESPN as they simultaneously kiss his beanbag. I've said this before, but if it was this bad for all of these years I sincerely apologize to fans of other teams who had to endure this circus. My next post will follow shortly and it will be looking forward.
    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Is anyone else interested in what may happen over the bye week with the team just not clicking? It isn't like any of the other sports where blockbuster trades are made, but early in the bye week they do a lot of self-scouting and take a long look to evaluate some guys and see if they can't find a way to upgrade or at least give someone else a chance where somebody just isn't working out.

Brandon Jackson and Clifton will be back and their skillsets have been missed, but this won't cure everything. They brought in a bunch of OT's last week, including former top 10 pick of the Bengals Levi Jones. I don't know what he has to offer, but I do know what the current roster is offering and I see little downside in considering a guy with some physical talent. If Blackmon's injury is bad they might be looking at a DB as well. If they need a roster spot, the 3 fullback situation may be a place to look. This is largely a waste. I know they hoped someone would need one and offer a trade, but that reminds me of a guy in my fantasy football league who drafted 3 kickers figuring someone would need to come to him when they had a bye situation. Adequate fullbacks are a disposable commodity in this league.

Comment

to all you Green Bay whiners out there complaining about penalties...realistically, in football, every single play has a holding penalty or a pass interference penalty or...or...really? Are we going to start saying "well on x play the Vikings fullback had his thumbs up in the shoulder pads of the Packer linebacker."?

Just suck it up. Your team lost. Woodson may not have interfered, but a lineman jumped outside. Had that interference not be called, the play still would have been negated. They did it again the very next play!

Get over it you whiny whores.
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
          I've said this before, but if it was this bad for all of these years I sincerely apologize to fans of other teams who had to endure this circus.
          It was this bad. It has been for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
            to all you Green Bay whiners out there complaining about penalties...realistically, in football, every single play has a holding penalty or a pass interference penalty or...or...really? Are we going to start saying "well on x play the Vikings fullback had his thumbs up in the shoulder pads of the Packer linebacker."?

Just suck it up. Your team lost. Woodson may not have interfered, but a lineman jumped outside. Had that interference not be called, the play still would have been negated. They did it again the very next play!

Oh get off your high horse. Vikings fans typically have too much sand in the vag, but I think in your case, you have Daytona Beach in your drawers. I have heard and seen you people ***** about sooo much more. There are at least THREE occasions I can think of when the Packers d-lineman's jersey was coming off. Yes, there is holding on every play. I used to play offensive line(in fact, that reminds me, I should try and play for Green Bay....I would be a very, very cheap alternative....), and I held on every play. But if I was pulling a guys jersey off, I got flagged. So did someone jump offside on the Woodson pass interference? I am not sure...it hasn't been mentioned on this thread roughly 2038 times....
            "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
              So did someone jump offside on the Woodson pass interference? I am not sure...it hasn't been mentioned on this thread roughly 2038 times....
              And yet someone is still whining about the PI call.

Comment

You're sad. I actually feel sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  And now its going to be a whole month of meely mouthed *******es whining about the Favre trade and listening to Favre-first fans run their mouth. And I have to be at a wedding in Minnesota on the 24th. And the Bride, and her whole family, are die hard Vikings fans. They may be dear old friends of my family, but I have a feeling I'm going to have a long weekend of bull**** to deal with, and there's nothing I can do about it. Isn't that just ****ing great?

Now, if you would excuse me, I need to get back to making pipe bombs that I can throw at whomever tossed that game-altering pass interference call on Woodson.
                  Was the Woodson call the one in the end zone? If so it didn't matter because the ref said there was two fouls on the play cause you guys were offsides also IIRC. The INT was never going to count. (the PI was bs at best it was illegal contact but I would not have pulled a flag)

Sucks about the wedding, when it comes to games like these I make one comment and let it go mainly because I hate when people smack talk to me about sports so I never really give any.

edit: Scott W beat me too it...
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    I'll try, but the Pats were called for two roughing the passer calls on the Monday Night Football. Unless the refs were confused and thought Trent Edwards was Tom Brady, it would appear that this rule sucks across the board...

I just find it amusing how everyone assumes that the Pats are the Lakers of the NFL. Phil Jackson is MUCH more entertaining than our coach and Brady hasn't been caught in a Denver hotel room. Yet.
                    And yet all it takes is The Golden Boy getting hurt for them to change the rules in the NFL. Now he only needs point to a ref and the flag comes out. Those calls against Baltimore were putrid and dont even pretend most QBs would get them. Christ Favre doesn't get them half the time and he is BRETTFAVRE!!!!!11!

edit: MW I wasn't saying you dont have a gripe I am sure you doo (hell I could say the Pack should have been called for more holding penalties as they definitely were holding a lot more than flagged for) but it just isnt worth the yelling. Every game is filled both ways with missed calls and bad calls and all of our biases make us look the other way. No one team gets ripped off by the refs more...unless they play Tom Brady and dare fall in his meer presence
                    Last edited by Handyman; 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What the hell is wrong with you...
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hey everybody, we got a tough guy over here!
                        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          And yet all it takes is The Golden Boy getting hurt for them to change the rules in the NFL. Now he only needs point to a ref and the flag comes out. Those calls against Baltimore were putrid and dont even pretend most QBs would get them. Christ Favre doesn't get them half the time and he is BRETTFAVRE!!!!!11!D
                          I'm not arguing that motioning for the flag wasn't bush league. It was and I agree with Harrison that he shouldn't be doing that.I'm not even saying that the rule is good: it sucks on toast. But it is a penalty. And it has been called on the Pats this year. The fact that you missed it is irrelevant.

Sloe Gin is about to dole out some hammerpunches, I see!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Hey buddy, have you had a psych eval lately?
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              And now its going to be a whole month of meely mouthed *******es whining about the Favre trade and listening to Favre-first fans run their mouth. And I have to be at a wedding in Minnesota on the 24th. And the Bride, and her whole family, are die hard Vikings fans. They may be dear old friends of my family, but I have a feeling I'm going to have a long weekend of bull**** to deal with, and there's nothing I can do about it. Isn't that just ****ing great?
                              Well, if the roles were reversed...

That said EoDS, tell them to suck it from a Vikings fan. I like to talk about the rivalry as much as the next guy, but some people need to take it easy. If they don't let up you can always toss out, "3 > 0" and, "It takes a Packer to make you guys win" if you don't mind sounding too much like Sioux fans.

Sloe - dude, go easy there buddy.

yellowandblack - we could go back and forth all day on which set of fans are bigger whiners. That one will probably never be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                yellowandblack - we could go back and forth all day on which set of fans are bigger whiners. That one will probably never be solved.
                                Reading Sloe Gin's post makes me think it's North Dakota.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X