2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

I actually woke up feeling very good about this game today and am not the least big nervous like I sometimes get on Packers' game days. Maybe it's because the Wisconsin football teams got a road split this weekend regardless of what happens tonight. Maybe it's because morepressure for tonight is currently on the Vikings since they need to hold serve at home. It's also on Favre to prove he's still got it and can overcome a highly emotional situation he hasn't always been great at handling post-Holmgren. The pressure of course will shift directly to the Packers and the Thompson/McCarthy braintrust for next month's matchup (especially if the Vikings hold serve tonight AND Favre plays reasonably well), but right now I think the Packers can go in with an underdog "nothing to lose" approach.
    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

As far as how the Packers win, here are my keys.

*Don't load up on Peterson. He'll get some yards regardless. Make sure his bursts are for 15 and not 60. Loading the box is riskier to giving up the home run. Make Favre be patient because I just don't believe he'll patiently dink and dunk his way to a win in this one.

*Defensive or special teams TD. There will be shots between Favre's propensity to throw a few interceptable balls a game and the Vikings' coverage units. Without this I honestly think they'll have a tough time pulling one out and they couldn't do it last year even with this advantage.

*Spread out the Vikings and throw every variety of play you have at them. It will be hard to out-execute the Vikings d-line, so keeping them guessing is key. This is a spot the Packers are lacking, a good 3rd down back who is explosive on screens and draws.

*Be smarter about taking your shots downfield. Rodgers has taken too many hits looking too far downfield so far this season. When the Vikings think they can blitz the 5 man protection is when they need to have a motion man come in and help to give him that extra partial count needed. The Packers have an advantage on each side of the DB vs WR matchup, but if they treat their weaknesses like they aren't there they won't be able to take advantage.

*Chip and release blocking by the TEs to be OK with checking down for 4 or 5 yards at a crack. They need to take what is there to stay in more favorable down and distance situations. Predictability will be a killer.

Comment

Matthews > Peterson
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
          Matthews > Peterson
          think about that statement again
          Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Matthews > Peterson
            Well this is about the dumbest thing you've ever posted...
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              Well this is about the dumbest thing you've ever posted...
              Well, in regards to the one play it's an accurate statement. Otherwise, he always could have been talking about hair length.
              I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I know the game isn't officially over yet, but to be honest this was the most relaxed I've been watching a Packers' game in a long time. I knew going in they needed to play without major mistakes and they needed a fairly officiated game to win. The error-free football went out the window on the largely unforced fumble as the Packers were moving the ball downfield with ease. The officials being on the take was out the window on the Vikings' first play from scrimmage as we watched Tramon Williams have his jersey pulled over his head hockey style right at the point of attack with nothing called after the Packers were flagged a couple of times on their opening drive. I knew then it was over.

Comment

• Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                  The officials being on the take....
                  You wouldn't be a Packers fan if you didn't blame a loss on anything other then simply getting beat. Good job outta you.

Comment

The officials didn't lose this game for the Packers, their terrible line play on both sides of the ball cost them the game.

It wasn't the best officiating ever, but it didn't cost the Packers that one.
                    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      You wouldn't be a Packers fan if you didn't blame a loss on anything other then simply getting beat. Good job outta you.
                      I'm just too mellow to throw the crackback on you. I'll just ask you to please quote the entire post next time if you are going to try and crack me. I know you can do better. I've seen it. Did the officials cost the Packers the game? No. Did they officiate it objectively? No. 2 different issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Rodgers getting sacked 8 times had nothing to do with it. Greg Jennings only having 3 catches for 31 yards? Nothing to do with it. It's all because the officials were on the take...
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Well. There was no pressure on the Packers for this one. It was up to the Vikings to hold serve. That will change in a few weeks. Hopefully the wear down will start for the old man by then so we get to enjoy part of it in person and not just wait for late December and the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                            I'm just too mellow to throw the crackback on you. I'll just ask you to please quote the entire post next time if you are going to try and crack me. I know you can do better. I've seen it. Did the officials cost the Packers the game? No. Did they officiate it objectively? No. 2 different issues.
                            And that second issue is complete mularkey.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                              Did the officials cost the Packers the game? No. Did they officiate it objectively? No. 2 different issues.
                              I knew going in they needed to play without major mistakes and they needed a fairly officiated game to win.
                              I'm mostly having some fun with you, but to be clear the officiating wouldn't be key were it not to play a major part in the game. Here's a novel concept - perhaps GB was called for more penalties because the Vikings DL beat the crap out of the GB OL?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                                Rodgers getting sacked 8 times had nothing to do with it. Greg Jennings only having 3 catches for 31 yards? Nothing to do with it. It's all because the officials were on the take...
                                You guys crack me up. I thought the education in Minnesota was supposed to be good. Good enough to read part of the post anyway I guess. If you can point out to me how I said it was all about the officials without mention of any problems by the Packers then you'll get my full written apology. I'd now crack you but I'm laughing to hard at you right now to do so. Sorry if I'm not taking the bait.

Comment

Working...
                                X