Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    But until then (and this is the clean version): Suck it, Old Man. I'm never buying another pair of Wranglers again.
    How can you hate Brett, he is having so much fun out there...he really loves playing the game!
    -Any Packer fan previous to his "retirement"

Come on Exile you know you love him...HE IS A GUNSLINGER!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I couldn't be more happy to be out in New Hampshire all week. I don't hate Old Balls QB and I don't love Old Balls QB. I just want the story to go away, so there couldn't be a better week to be out of town. Those who think he should be cheered are dead wrong. It was part of the consequence of his decision. Leroy Butler has it right. That said, I wish people wouldn't boo him either. It just feeds to the attention addiction. I'd love nothing more than hearing crickets chirp when he takes the field, but obviously that isn't going to happen. The 4 or 5 thousand Vikings' fans would cheer loud enough to overcome the cricket noise anyway. The reaction will be an interesting mix to be certain.

Brittnay's interview was nothing surprising. I would expect her to stick up for her dad and spew the company line. Two things I got a chuckle out of though.

1) Her saying he doesn't care about the attention. He isn't a diva in the sense about being vain about his appearance, but his attention addiction is apparent to all. The way he lets little bits and pieces leak and keeps himself somewhat of a mystery during the offseason is an intentional feed of the frenzy. If he really didn't want the attention he could do so many things to set the record straight, but he does quite the opposite.

2) This whole "truth will come out someday" concept is such a farce. He's never been afraid to speak freely. He threw the Jets under the bus with the injury cover up situation and he has no beef with them. They gave him everything he wanted. To think he'd spare Packers' management if he was truly wronged just isn't believable. Also, his actions don't tell me he gives a rip about his legacy with the Packers. If he was truly wronged it would have come out by now. The Favre camp acts like this was a one way street where he just gave and gave without getting anything in return. It isn't as if he volunteered his services for decades for nothing other than the satisfaction of helping. They rescued a guy who was close to drinking himself out of the league at a young age and helped make him one of the sports icons of his generation while paying probably $100 mil plus (never counted so I can't say for sure). Packers' fans were fiercely loyal to the guy and as Handyman implied they largely gave him a free pass. There were very few things he could have done to make a large number of Packers' fans ever consider booing him at Lambeau, but the decision to come back to eventually end the Vikings' season in disappointment was #1 on the list.
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
        There were very few things he could have done to make a large number of Packers' fans ever consider booing him at Lambeau, but the decision to come back to eventually end the Vikings' season in disappointment was #1 on the list.
        *****http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/91/5150vdwpnjlsl500aa240k.jpg******
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the US (1911-2004)

Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Comment

Originally posted by SIOUX4EVER View Post
          *****http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/91/5150vdwpnjlsl500aa240k.jpg******
          Never saw it. Is it any good?

So maybe I can't avoid it. I'm in Kittery, Maine last night eating and some guy from WI (via Kentucky) was there who was talking about it. He's one of those hate TT for the decision kind of people. I couldn't stomach it.

Comment

• Those who think he should be cheered are dead wrong. It was part of the consequence of his decision. Leroy Butler has it right. That said, I wish people wouldn't boo him either. It just feeds to the attention addiction. I'd love nothing more than hearing crickets chirp when he takes the field, but obviously that isn't going to happen.
            You got that half right. It wasn't his decision to get pushed aside by TT and anything that happened after I think that it's time to get over it. If what you say is true that Favre was part of the problem, do you boo TT for also being part of the problem?

That said I don't think Packers fans should necessarily cheer for him but I see nothing wrong if it happens when he first enters the field within the context of showing appreciation for what he did while he played in Green Bay. I'm sure Rodgers himself understands what Favre meant while he was there. However, once the game starts I imagine Packers fans will be 100% about cheering for GB.

Comment

I say that on the day they retire his jersey, give him a long standing ovation.

However, this Sunday he will be a Viking and Packer fans should treat him as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                You got that half right. It wasn't his decision to get pushed aside by TT and anything that happened after I think that it's time to get over it. If what you say is true that Favre was part of the problem, do you boo TT for also being part of the problem?
                I call shenanigans.

TT should have offered the "personal services contract" to Favre right after he retired instead of waiting until Favre "felt the itch".

Other than that, what was he supposed to do differently? I find the argument that Favre was "pushed aside" by Thompson to be a bunch of hogwash.

Favre was the one who took his sweet time letting the team know if he'd be coming back year in, year out since 2004 or so.

Favre was the one who decided to "retire" in 2008. Even if you want to believe that he was "pushed out", Favre's the one who took the bait.

Favre was the one who couldn't give management a straight answer about his desire to play until AFTER FAMILY NIGHT that summer.

Favre was the one who didn't want to accept an open competition with Rodgers for the starting job at that point (which, when you think about it, is the only reasonable way to handle the situation: Rodgers had been there all summer, learning the new adjustments to the system, and Favre had not).

How did Thompson cause all of that? Was he supposed to NOT take Rodgers, a blue chip quarterback recruit who was thought of as a top-5 pick going into the draft, when he was still on the board at the 25th pick in 2005? Was he supposed to cater to every one of Brett's whims (hire Mariucci, resign Wahle and Rivera, trade for Moss, etc.), and ignore every other part of his job?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

That said I don't think Packers fans should necessarily cheer for him but I see nothing wrong if it happens when he first enters the field within the context of showing appreciation for what he did while he played in Green Bay. I'm sure Rodgers himself understands what Favre meant while he was there. However, once the game starts I imagine Packers fans will be 100% about cheering for GB.
                  TT and the organization bumbled thru the situation with Old Balls QB. We'll agree on that. However, nobody forced him to retire. He could have said he wasn't ready and made TT have to force him out and then it would all be on TT. We don't have to agree on how much forcing out or pressure there was, but don't bother telling me he caved to the supposed pressure because he was thinking of the organization. His handling of this "retirement" issue for about 6 years running makes it clear who he cares about. He could never commit long term, the Packers prepared themselves for the day, and when he finally retired they moved on from the drama. The only real decision here was deciding whether to take him back when he waivered and they were correct when they didn't. If I boo TT for anything regarding the QB, it will be because the one we have is laying half buried in the turf after one of the mediocre offensive lineman TT has compiled whiffs on a block.

Comment

Never saw it. Is it any good?
                    In my Netflix queue...I'll let you know.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan, 40th president of the US (1911-2004)

Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Comment

I don't think Brett Favre or TT handled the situation well at all.

But, if Brett Favre said you know I'm not sure but I might change my mind later I think Green Bay probably needed to account for that and accommodate it. Sounds like they gave him an ultimatum and people with Brett's career don't particularly like those and think they deserve more.

Green Bay's loss is Minnesota's gain. Since we can't develop our own QB we'll just borrow yours.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I don't think Brett Favre or TT handled the situation well at all.

But, if Brett Favre said you know I'm not sure but I might change my mind later I think Green Bay probably needed to account for that and accommodate it. Sounds like they gave him an ultimatum and people with Brett's career don't particularly like those and think they deserve more.

Green Bay's loss is Minnesota's gain. Since we can't develop our own QB we'll just borrow yours.
                        We don't cheer for the same teams, but I've always found tDoo to be wise. I don't know if there is a model for handling such a situation, but I do know this example won't be used as the standard from either side of it. How many endings are truly perfect on both sides when it comes to legends? Very few I would have to say.

I've said all along the root issue is he just wanted to be wanted. I see why they couldn't take the chance with the reverse psychology approach, but I still maintain he would have said thanks but no thanks had they just told him he could come back when he waivered. I think the competitive spark really returned with a fury when he hinted at it but was given a firm no.

While he has every right to play for whomever is willing to pay him, we have every right to like or dislike him. The worship when he did great things was probably over the top, so nobody should be suprised if this is over the top. Like I said, I wish he would just be ignored and treated like any other opposing QB because right now that's what he is. If people really want to show their displeasure it would be the best way since attention is what he most craves. Obviously I understand that isn't going to happen.

Comment

We don't cheer for the same teams, but I've always found tDoo to be wise. I don't know if there is a model for handling such a situation, but I do know this example won't be used as the standard from either side of it. How many endings are truly perfect on both sides when it comes to legends? Very few I would have to say.
                          I said the same thing - that neither side comes out clean on this.

Comment

I said the same thing - that neither side comes out clean on this.
                            Yeah, but you didn't claim Scooby was wise...
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Putting together a mix CD of songs for my drive up to Green Bay for the game on Sunday. So far, here's what I have:

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" -The Band
                              "Mississippi Queen" -Mountain
                              "Bang The Drum All Day" -Todd Rundgren
                              "Wooly Bully" Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs

... and that's all I got.
                              Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 10-28-2009, 09:29 PM.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Putting together a mix CD of songs for my drive up to Green Bay for the game on Sunday. So far, here's what I have:

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" -The Band
                                "Mississippi Queen" -Mountain
                                "Bang The Drum All Day" -Todd Rundgren
                                "Wooly Bully" Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs

... and that's all I got.
                                How about "Rock and Roll all Night" by KISS? Plus any road trip mix CD had got to have some AC/DC on it.
                                "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                                X