Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    And now its going to be a whole month of meely mouthed *******es whining about the Favre trade and listening to Favre-first fans run their mouth. And I have to be at a wedding in Minnesota on the 24th. And the Bride, and her whole family, are die hard Vikings fans. They may be dear old friends of my family, but I have a feeling I'm going to have a long weekend of bull**** to deal with, and there's nothing I can do about it. Isn't that just ****ing great?
    A little good natured ribbing is always fine. Hopefully that's all it is...

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Well, if the roles were reversed...
    If they don't let up you can always toss out, "3 > 0" and, "It takes a Packer to make you guys win" if you don't mind sounding too much like Sioux fans.
    Everybody wants to sound like us. We're the envy of the college hockey world.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      Reading Sloe Gin's post makes me think it's North Dakota.
      He wasn't whining...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        He wasn't whining...
        I have no reason to whine. I don't blame the refs.
        Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
          I have no reason to whine. I don't blame the refs.
          I do.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            A little good natured ribbing is always fine. Hopefully that's all it is...
            From most of the Vikings' fans it is. As I've said all along, the real loonies who are full of all sorts of anger are the small minority of (former?) Green Bay fans who get all hostile anytime someone suggests that Favre and the Vikings' aren't the greatest thing since the steam engine.

For example...from the same guy who said "he is an amazing man" in reference to Favre, I present this:

"How can you all just forget about all the great things he has done for us...He has gone out of his way to be there every step of the way for all of us. He even had part of his intestines cut out for us. Think of him as your own child that you love who does something wrong...You might be mad at him for a little while but you still love him...and he will always have a special place in your heart"

Posted on facebook last night. Those are the types that need some sort of help.
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              From most of the Vikings' fans it is. As I've said all along, the real loonies who are full of all sorts of anger are the small minority of (former?) Green Bay fans who get all hostile anytime someone suggests that Favre and the Vikings' aren't the greatest thing since the steam engine.

For example...from the same guy who said "he is an amazing man" in reference to Favre, I present this:

"How can you all just forget about all the great things he has done for us...He has gone out of his way to be there every step of the way for all of us. He even had part of his intestines cut out for us. Think of him as your own child that you love who does something wrong...You might be mad at him for a little while but you still love him...and he will always have a special place in your heart"

Posted on facebook last night. Those are the types that need some sort of help.
              Our Favre who art in Lambeau.....

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Well....here's hoping to a win against Detroit. I know they probably should win....but Detroit is only a play or two away from beating Pittsburgh. So...what do you think? Do they beat Detroit? Can the O-Line stop anyone?
                "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

So they won by almost 4 TDs via shutout. With this in mind you'd think I'd feel more satisfied, but I wasn't horribly excited about yesterday.

Still too many negatives. I like 24 carries by Grant, but 90 yards isn't good enough. I realize more and more every game he is just a guy. I think there were another 5 sacks, which are 3 or 4 too many. WAY too many penalties. They'll never overcome that slop against a good team. Only 1 TD in 5 red zone trips. Again, they won't beat good teams kicking FGs.

I thought 3 really good things happened for them yesterday and 2 of them were several states away. 1) Driver's record. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I have a really neat story about him that I'll throw on the bottom of this post. 2) Philly losing. 3) Chicago losing.

As far as 2 & 3 goes, I'm looking at the Wild Card picture. I know there is a long way to go in the division, but right now the Vikings are the better team, they are living a charmed existence, and I don't think it will be until close to playoff time when we see Old Balls QB start to wear down and implode. When I sum up the NFC, the Saints, Giants, and Vikings should probably all win their divisions. The West I don't care about because in the end I don't see them being a factor in the Wild Card. It will take at least 10 wins to get in. The non-division winners who I could see approaching 10 wins are the Eagles, Bears, Falcons, and Packers. To get in the playoffs they'll need to finish ahead of 2 of these 3. Philly losing was quite a surprise, but obviously the Bears or Falcons were going down so #3 was going to be something positive regardless.

Here is the DD story. Some kids from Langlade Elementary in Allouez (GB suburb for those not familiar) were at the Lambeau Atrium in June 2008 on a 5th grade graduation fun function when someone saw DD in the Pro Shop buying some gear. He was asked if he'd come out and say hello to the kids. He came out without hesitation and told them he'd answer a few questions. One kid asked him how old he was. He said all of the kids could guess and those who got it right would get a prize from him. Three of the kids got it right, so he told them he'd be right back and went into the Pro Shop. He bought 3 of his own jerseys and autographed each one. I realize he'll never miss the money he spent, especially for a guy who lives relatively modestly for a guy making several million per, but the point is he didn't have to do any of that. Even a friendly wave on the way thru would have been nice. He's a great guy who I can't be more happy for. He's certainly a lot more personable than the guy whose record he broke.
                  Last edited by MW4Bucky&SNC; 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM.
                  Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                  2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                  2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                  Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

It might be just due diligence, but I found it interesting to see they worked out Ahman Green and Dominic Rhoades. I guess Rhoades couldn't be any worse in the short term than Wynn. Green didn't have anything left when they let him walk to Houston. I can't envision him getting any better a few years later.

This brings me to a point of questioning a few things about TT and his evaluators this offseason. There were several head scratchers where they kept guys who either can't stay healthy, can't play, or some of both. Why did they keep a habitual bum like Wynn over Lumpkin and Sutton? Why did they keep Giaccomini (sp?) and get rid of Meredith when Meredith is actually starting now in Buffalo and Giaccomini is nowhere close to the field despite some struggles at OT. Finally, they kept "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" Aaron Rouse and when he predictably broke down and they then had problems at safety instead of having a 3-4 vet who went thru camp in Smith they had to pick up a waiver wire guy and trade for Martin out of Baltimore who they had to alter the gameplan for because he just isn't holding up.
                    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

In honor of Favre-a-Palooza II- we now have yet another perspective on the Cornbread Judas, from someone who ought to know him pretty well. "Interview" with Brittany Favre (discovered via Jason Wilde).

Pretty good interview, and it really seems like she's a good kid. It's a pretty good read on its own, but what's really of interest (for us, anyway) is what she has to say of her father's situation.

Of pertinence (questions underlined, stuff I thought interesting bolded):

What has been the greatest experience of your life so far?
                      Most people would say the Super Bowl, but I was too young to be at all interested. I would say the greatest moments are now. My dad went through so much drama in the past and now he’s 6-0 having the time of his life. He’s having fun again and that’s what it’s all about. People that really know him, know that “revenge” is not a factor. If anything, his young spirit just loves the fact that he just made that rivalry more interesting.

When people at school find out that your dad is Brett Favre, how do they react?
                      I’m in my 3rd year of college so most people know by now. Whether they’ve met me or not, they know I’m around campus. It’s either a super positive or super negative reaction. I’ve had people say the meanest, nastiest things because of my dad. It’s sad really, they don’t see him as a person, they see him as a guy they love to hate. So when they say they hate HIM, I know they mean they hate his success against their favorite team. But I’ve also had people nearly in tears because they love him so much so it varies a lot.

How did you feel seeing your father’s press conference when he retired from the Green Bay Packers. Did you think it was going to be that hard for him to do?
                      I knew it was going to be hard because what a lot of people didn’t realize at the time was that there was a lot of pressure for him to do so. People deny it, but drafting a quarterback isn’t exactly welcoming for a veteran. He was being worked out of the picture and he knew that. That year he brought the packers to the NFC championship game that came down to the wire. It was emotional for him because he knew he wasn’t ready to retire. He was right about the fact that he didn’t have much to give, because he was tired of feeling like the organization was waiting to pull the plug. It was a tough time, even before he retired. I’m so happy he came out of that situation without ever losing his character.

What was your favorite and least favorite parts of being the daughter of an NFL QB? What will you miss the most?
                      Favorite part would be the free stuff from endorsements and deals and whatnot. Least favorite would be the constant judgment of my dad when he is just trying to play the game. He really doesn’t care about the glam. He spends his entire offseason in a cut-off shirt working on our land, and he gets called a diva. It’s sad how misled people can be.

Your father decided to come back out of retirement again to play for the Minnesota Vikings. Were you shocked when he told you he would come out and play again? What were your thoughts on that?
                      I was so excited. He deserves to play. It shouldn’t be left up to a few guys trying to get rid of him. When he wants to quit, he’ll tell us. The best part is, the entire truth will come out one day and all of those people that called him a traitor will realize exactly what he went through. The truth always comes out and my dad is finally respected for all of the hard work he has put in. Sadly, the 16+ years of hard work (he dedicated his entire life, since he was my age) he put into one organization was forgotten about under new management. He can still play and I’m so proud of him. He doesn’t have to prove himself to anyone.
                      Doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already. It does sort of confirm that Favre felt shoved out just by the mere presence of Aaron Rodgers. It is kind of hard to reconcile the "not a diva" parts with the "threatened by Rodgers/was pushed out" parts. None of it really explains why he took the bait and "retired", and it doesn't really reconcile the way he's been handling "retirement" since 2004 or so. But, I certainly can't blame her for sticking by her old man... who would be giving him the benefit of the doubt if not for his kids?

It's always pretty sad to see how some people take their issues with Favre out on his kids. 'Tis the life of the rich and famous, I guess. But even I (as someone with a very strong anti-Favre sentiment) have to cringe at the thought of what they must put up with from some people.
                      Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

In honor of Favre-a-Palooza II- we now have yet another perspective on the Cornbread Judas, from someone who ought to know him pretty well. "Interview" with Brittany Favre (discovered via Jason Wilde).

Pretty good interview, and it really seems like she's a good kid. It's a pretty good read on its own, but what's really of interest (for us, anyway) is what she has to say of her father's situation.

Of pertinence (questions underlined, stuff I thought interesting bolded):

Doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already. It does sort of confirm that Favre felt shoved out just by the mere presence of Aaron Rodgers. It is kind of hard to reconcile the "not a diva" parts with the "threatened by Rodgers/was pushed out" parts. None of it really explains why he took the bait and "retired", and it doesn't really reconcile the way he's been handling "retirement" since 2004 or so. But, I certainly can't blame her for sticking by her old man... who would be giving him the benefit of the doubt if not for his kids?

It's always pretty sad to see how some people take their issues with Favre out on his kids. 'Tis the life of the rich and famous, I guess. But even I (as someone with a very strong anti-Favre sentiment) have to cringe at the thought of what they must put up with from some people.
                        Meh....he's still a doosh.
                        "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

I never understood that crap myself. It's not the kid(s) fault who their parents are. Don't spew the venom on them. It makes zero sense. I guess if anything, it shows what aholes those people are.

That being said, I think the worst thing for the Packer faithful was to have the Vikes lose this past week. As the old cliche/saying/adage/whatever you wanna call it goes, "Now they know what it's like to lose, and they were taken down a notch."

Should be another close game, IMO. It will help you guys with Winfield out, that's for sure.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
                            Meh....he's still a doosh.
                            He'll be forgiven when he's no longer a Viking (as long as he doesn't then become a Bear). Or maybe a year or two after he's no longer a Viking. And only on the condition that the Vikings continue to not win anything more than a division title.

But until then (and this is the clean version): Suck it, Old Man. I'm never buying another pair of Wranglers again.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I'm living this town before it gets invaded by 10s of thousands retards who are driving across Highway 29 and overpaid for tickets (you just paid for that dude's season tickets next year!).

at least it's not Bears weekend.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
                              Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

Originally posted by BigPieps View Post
                                I'm living this town before it gets invaded by 10s of thousands retards who are driving across Highway 29 and overpaid for tickets (you just paid for that dude's season tickets next year!).

at least it's not Bears weekend.
                                There won't be 10s of thousands of Vikings fans, will there? Maybe if you tack on the Favre apologists on top of all that...

In related news: JS columnist insists that we give Favre an ovation before we boo him.

Seems stupid to me.

He'll get his huge ovations when he gets his number retired, when he's inducted into the Packers HOF and in Canton. But why should we insist on giving him those ovations when he is wearing THAT jersey?

I'd rather be considerate of Rodgers' feelings than Favre's right now.

The only thing I like about that idea is getting Favre all emotional and having him soak his little grey beard in his tears before playing. Might get us a few interceptions.

LeRoy Butler is awesome.

Q. What do you think the fan reaction to Brett Favre should be at Lambeau Field this Sunday and what do you think it actually will be?

A. The reaction should be 100% about Aaron Rodgers. When Aaron Rodgers comes out there you should give Aaron Rodgers a standing ovation because he’s our guy for the next 10 years. When Brett comes out you do like any other opposing quarterback, you boo him. If you don’t want to boo him, don’t say anything. But if you’re going to stand up wearing Packer clothing or a Packer uniform and cheer when Brett Favre comes out, you should bring a bag and put it over your head. You don’t cheer for somebody to beat your team, I don’t care who it is. You don’t cheer for another quarterback. If you want to cheer Brett, just bring a bag, put it over your head and you can cheer, and no one will hear you and that’s fine. This is Aaron Rodgers’ show. Don’t let somebody come into your back yard and cheer against you. You don’t cheer for another guy to beat your team. I hope I’m crystal clear with these fans who say they love to see Brett Favre. Well, Brett Favre is gone. It’s Aaron Rodgers’ show. He’s the No. 1-rated quarterback in the NFC, including Brett Favre. I’m happy we’ll be good for the next 10 years. I hope they’ll cheer Aaron and boo Brett. If they don’t want to boo him, that’s their right. But any other quarterback they’d boo, what makes him so special? I mean, wait until he has his number retired, you can cheer him then. You can applaud him all you want. You can’t do that the day of the game, and want your team to win. That’s standing on the fence. You’re either a Packer fan or a Brett fan. If you’re a Brett fan, go buy some purple and wear purple. I have a strong feeling on this, this is my team. I played 12 years for this team. Anybody who comes into that stadium, I want them to lose. If it were me coming back, I wouldn’t expect anyone to cheer for me when I’m going to destroy your team. Of course not.

Comment

Working...
                                X