X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MW4Bucky&SNC
    replied
    Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

The question of how long Rodgers is holding the ball is an interesting one. On one hand he certainly could stand to get rid of the ball a little earlier. On the other hand, if your QB starts getting jumpy and starts thinking more about the protection than his job...he's often done. One of the biggest signs an old QB is done even when he could show you he can still make every throw in 7 on 7 drills is when he stops looking downfield and starts looking at the rush. They need to find a way to make sure Rodgers isn't there for 10 or 12 years. They can't have him worrying about the protection once the ball is snapped. He needs to make the right pre-snap reads and trust those reads along with his guys.

Since they aren't getting it done, and to save him from his tendence to hold the ball, at this point the solution is changing the design of the routes and his drop so the ball gets out quicker as well as sticking with the run better than McCarthy tends to by rotating Grant and Green for fresh legs. 5 step...read, read, read...dump off or get what you can with the legs. Their toughest opponent has been themselves with poor early down run gains and penalties putting them in situations where they have to throw downfield. It's easy to be a defensive coordinator when your opponent is constantly 3rd and 12 and it's easy to be an offensive coordinator when you are sitting 2nd and 5 and 3rd and 1. Without early down execution they'll continue to have issues with down and distance.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    You would think the QB on a team with a line that bad would try and get rid of the ball quicker...he stands in the pocket for way too long and even good lines can only block so long.
    I know that I'm probably guilty of making excuses for Rodgers, and what you say certainly is a contributing factor. But lets put this in perspective here.

I've watched every game this year, and I would estimate that (from what I can tell from watching on TV) about 1/3 of the sacks are from Rodgers not getting the ball out and the other 2/3 are from our pathetic excuse of an offenSIEVE line.

Now, from that 1/3- there are a few different reasons for why Rodgers doesn't get rid of the ball:

- Recievers aren't open, and there's nowhere for him to throw it.
    - Recievers aren't quite open, and Rodgers doesn't have the confidence or desire to "force" it in there.
    - Recievers aren't open, and Rodgers isn't getting to the underneath routes.
    - Nothing good is happening, our protection is terrible, and he has no chance in hell of getting outside the tackles.

Two of those four reasons are completely on Rodgers. Even then, one of them sort of makes sense if you'd rather he take a sack than risk an INT.

I have no idea how to break down the 1/3 of the sacks among those four reasons. But I do know that there's no way you put them all on Rodgers.

The people blaming Rodgers for our team right now are the same idiots that give all the credit for SB XXXI to Cornbread Judas- when everyone who watched that year (even me, and I was freakin' 12 at the time) knew that the reason we were so good that year was because we had an amazing defense and outstanding special teams. They don't know football, they just want to write about it. Hacks.

As if Cornbread Judas would magically make this team any better. Can he play tackle?

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    From Milwaukee paper blog on Packers.
    LOL. Pure genius. Almost as good as the Kangass article on "No alibis, no regrets" blog.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

From Milwaukee paper blog on Packers.

Real Men of Genius,

Today we salute you. Mr. Football General Manager guy.

Any General Manager can guide a team to mediocrity, but it take as a special talent to build a juggernaut capable of losing to both a baby and an old man in consecutive weeks.

You’ve drafted a record breaking offensive line that is the pride and joy of every other defensive coordinator in the league. And while your OL makes obscure defensive linemen look like Reggie White, you can take solace that at least they won’t be breaking your salary cap!

(What a relief!)

You’ve rigorously groomed your franchise quarterback for years for this day. The one where he is out dueled by a rookie playing his first game for an 0-7 squad.

(Do we still have Brett’s cell number?)

Because while building a Super bowl contender is difficult, you’ve proven even a blind chimp gets a banana once in awhile.

(See my big contract!)

So crack open an ice-cold Bud Light, GM guy, because every franchise needs an anti-christ, and you're the second coming.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Never fear GB - your team is 4-2 against teams not named Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• MW4Bucky&SNC
    replied

The big questions over the past 48 hours seem to be about the same old mistakes being repeated as well as a major doubt that the players are even listening to the staff. I'm getting a sense the staff is starting to lose their players and this loss may really signal the beginning of the end to this regime.

If they don't turn it around into at least a winning record, I honestly believe the only thing that could save TT and MM is the labor problems. I'm not sure the team wants to buy these guys out, pay big bucks for a new GM, new coach, or combo, so they can coach a year and then possibly sit around just collecting during a prolonged lockout or labor unrest with no cap.

Leave a comment:

• MW4Bucky&SNC
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Well MW4 it appears we don't have a match, but we hope you had fun playing the game and we are going to send you home with the home version of the game and a years supply of Rice o Roni, the San Fransisco treat!

Maybe next time you should try "Press Your Luck"
    I loved the consolation prizes on those shows!

Brad, I understand. If this was your wife I would be giving you grief, but at this point it's all good.

As far as the team, what a pitiful performance. No urgency. If they can't get it turned around to at least 9-7 I'd be in favor of dumping both TT and McCarthy. The roster has had the same problems for a while and the same issues with penalties and poor fundamentals just never get fixed. My turning point with McCarthy was pretty much when he justified not benching Jolly for his stupidity against the Vikings.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I'm also starting to buy in to the fact that its more than just the line that's the problem here. Between McCarthy refusing to call for quick routes, Rodgers taking too long to try to find the "underneath" routes and the inconsistency in the running game... there are a lot of issues with this offense.
    You would think the QB on a team with a line that bad would try and get rid of the ball quicker...he stands in the pocket for way too long and even good lines can only block so long.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied

Tough loss there. I almost feel bad for the Pack.

In all seriousness, congrats to Ahman Green on becoming the teams all-time leading rusher.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    "In the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the GB Packers have chosen LG ______."

"In the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the GB Packers have chosen RG ______."
    Easily the best course of action right now. Although I'm starting to wonder if finding a quality free agent Guard isn't perhaps a little bit of a better idea.

I'm also starting to buy in to the fact that its more than just the line that's the problem here. Between McCarthy refusing to call for quick routes, Rodgers taking too long to try to find the "underneath" routes and the inconsistency in the running game... there are a lot of issues with this offense.

Granted, all of those problems are worsened by our terrible offenSIEVE line, but its still worth noting that its not entirely their fault.

*Sigh*

And its worth harping on this again: how do we not have a no huddle offense yet? There's no excuse to ever have to huddle up that late in the 4th. Even high school teams work on a no huddle offense starting in the first week of practice. (Mine did, at least)

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied

screw the packers, i hope you win just enough games to miss the playoffs and get a crappy draft pick.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

"In the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the GB Packers have chosen LG ______."

"In the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the GB Packers have chosen RG ______."

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

So... uh... we have a pretty bad football team.

Seriously, who huddles and lets the clock run off 30 seconds when you're down by three, deep in your own zone, and have only 1:30 on the clock? You'd think McCarthy would have set up a no-huddle scenario after the Cincy game.

I don't want to be talking about what should happen to whom once the season is over (let's leave that sort of nonsense to the guys west of the St. Croix), but if things don't turn around in some form by January, the off-season debates will be VERY heated.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Well MW4 it appears we don't have a match, but we hope you had fun playing the game and we are going to send you home with the home version of the game and a years supply of Rice o Roni, the San Fransisco treat!

Maybe next time you should try "Press Your Luck"

Leave a comment:

• powerofyellowandblack
    replied

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
    I know how much beer the two of us can drink and I know how much they cost. If Chuck is willing to pay for it, he can call it a date if he wants.

Brad, I should know something in the next 2 or 3 days and I'll let you know.
    Ubeknownst to me, my girlfriend made plans for us on the Sunday of the Dallas game. I am kind of upset by this...it would have been a fun game to go to had you had an extra ticket. However, since this relationship is still in its infancy, I would prefer to keep it going for a little while, so I have to turn the game down.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X