2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Since I was at a bar watching half of this game, and the other half was over the radio, its tough for me to be too critical- since there's a lot to this contest that I didn't see. I'm only going off of the little I did see, so take this all with the appropriate grains of salt. Here are my thoughts:

- Offenseive Line. That's the new spelling until things turn around. Just a wholly disappointing group, and it doesn't need to be said in any more depth than that.

- Was there some variety to the blitzing schemes that Capers used and I somehow missed it entirely? I felt like Capers was using a lot of the same looks, which is probably not the best idea for an AFC North team. The Steelers and Ravens have similar defenses, so teams like Cincy or Cleveland aren't going to fall for it so readily.

- I want to be able to, once again, absolve Rodgers for the failings of his teammates, but he was shaky in a lot of places I thought. Not just the whole "throwing in the middle instead of deep or to the sidelines". The replays that I was able to see focused on the team trying to reset for the "last" snap. I don't know what other options he had besides throwing away, although he probably should have done that. Instead, I'm wondering about what on earth was going on with his pass distribution. He kept trying to go deep in a situation where he was getting a LOT of pressure from the defensive line. Why not go to quick drop passes or screens in that case? Why keep the focus upfield and not check down to the recievers underneath? Are the Bengals' linebackers really THAT good that those weren't valid options? It felt to me like the playcalling, and Rodgers' choices, focused downfield far too often. Especially since the Offensieve Line weren't giving him a lot of pocket time.

- Give Rodgers credit where its due: he was able to give himself a lot more time in the pocket than the line was allowing...

- Ugly freakin loss. Ugly ugly ugly. Disappointing on almost every level. The only bright sides were the onside kick and Mr. Charles Woodson. Yikes.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      It's a good thing the Packers weren't all set on that play because that snap was off before the clock hit :00.
      That sequence was strange. The rules would have run out anyway the clock because of the penalty, but it certainly wasn't how he explained it. He made it sound like the penalty was irrelevant because the clock had run out anyway, but there were 2 full seconds on the clock when it was snapped. I wasn't thrilled with their lack of hustle to get that ball marked. It was as if they wanted as much face time as possible with all of the penalties they flagged all day (although to be fair most were legit by 2 sloppy teams) but when it got to the end they had somewhere to be and wanted it over with.
      Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
      2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
      2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
      Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of the play calling. Why not toss some screens, swing passes and slants that don't require a lot of time in the pocket? Why not try and run the ball? Green Bay only attempted 18 rushes the whole game.

The punt returns were killers as well for the Bungels.

And all the penalties.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Very strange to see them cut Rouse. I think he's largely gotten worse instead of better, but it isn't like he was ditched because they had all of these wonderful alternatives. What a huge indictment of Rouse with Bigby out, Collins very questionable, and the other guys either tweeners or new to the team. They must have some confidence in Derrick Martin. They did pick up a Safety, but I'd find it hard to believe he's anything other than emergency guy for this Sunday after only a few days of practice. I was puzzled by the decision to cut Anthony Smith and this does nothing to change that. I wonder if they'll think about having Woodson play some Safety if Collins is out. His play suffered last year when they moved him, so I'd hate to see it. The secondary and the o-line are the two places I hate to see shuffling because of an injury and we may see both this week.

Comment

Was listening to The Game on ESPN540 last night. Bill Johnson labeled the matchup between our OffenSIEVE Line against the Rams' D-Line as "The Stoppable Force vs. the Movable Object".

Does that or does that not sound like a perfect summary of what we might be watching this weekend?

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Far from a perfect game, but it was good to see them finish strong on the road instead of hope to hang on.

Good
              *Sticking with the running game even though it wasn't gaining yards in big chunks.
              *Pretty decent d-line play.
              *Not a ton of big plays given up.
              *Overall decent special teams work with the exception of the PAT miss.
              *No turnovers for the good guys along with creating turnovers on the opponent.
              *ARodg making plays with his feet and avoiding big mistakes.
              *Creative playcalling in using the oft-forgetting fullback.
              Not so good
              *Too many hits on Rodgers.
              *More drops.
              *LBs got a little exposed in pass coverage and poor angles at times against the run.
              *Looking long too often. 20 yards per completion is good, but looking downfield a bunch with this offensive line will get Rodgers killed.

Comment

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...nclick_check=1

Eau Claire bar plans to burn Favre paraphernalia

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre may be feeling the heat Monday night when he suits up against his former team — the Green Bay Packers.

But at Milwaukee Burger Co., Favre memorabilia will be subjected to a different kind of heat.

The sports bar and grill, 2620 E. Clairemont Ave., is planning a burning party. Patrons can bring in their Favre memorabilia and throw it into a flaming burn barrel in the parking lot during halftime of the Packers-Vikings game. The business will donate $10 to charity for each article burned.

The game, set for 7:30 p.m. at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis, will be broadcast on ESPN. Milwaukee Burger Co. will show the game.

Manager Julie Kolk said the idea to burn Favre jerseys, pictures, posters and other items sparked when the former Packers quarterback came out of retirement in August to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

"It kind of started with some of the regulars here," Kolk said. "There was a lot of talk about doing something for the Packers-Vikings game."

The restaurant, along with patrons, decided to have a "Brett Favre burning ceremony," Kolk said. Of course, they mean no harm to Favre — only to things that bear his name.

Kolk said Milwaukee Burger Co. is filled with about equal numbers of Vikings and Packers fans on any Sunday during football season.

"We cater to both the Vikings and the Packers (fans)," she said. "We do have kind of two segregated crowds."

As for the burning ceremony, Kolk said she thinks the Vikings fans are "cool with it."

"They'll let us burn those (Green Bay) jerseys," Kolk said.

If people want to burn Vikings Favre items, they're more than welcome to do that too.

"I think there has been turmoil for the last couple years," Kolk said of Favre. "All we can do is hope and pray that this (event) is going to be big."

Comment

Amusing story about the Eau Claire bar. Personally I wish people would just ignore him. It's the biggest insult that publicity addict could be given.

Comment

Wow. Rather mundane in here compared to the Vikings' thread...
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

• Re: 2009 Green Bay Packers - NFC North the 3-4 way

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      Wow. Rather mundane in here compared to the Vikings' thread...
                      Quiet before the storm?

Besides, I think that thread is all tongue-in-cheek bravado anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Quiet before the storm?

Besides, I think that thread is all tongue-in-cheek bravado anyway.
                        Indeed. This rivalry has gone down the tubes.

I actually do not believe that. I think fans of both sides don't really know what to think or know what the other team is bringing. After the game starts and there are a few goofy calls (which will happen) both of these threads will explode/implode, whichever you prefer.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I actually do not believe that. I think fans of both sides don't really know what to think or know what the other team is bringing. After the game starts and there are a few goofy calls (which will happen) both of these threads will explode/implode, whichever you prefer.

I beg to differ . I think the Vikings are a better team and will win. I don't think they are significantly better, but they are. The fact that two of Minnesota's greatest strengths match up well with what have been Green Bay's two huge weaknesses the past two weeks doesn't bode well for the Pack. Throw in the Dump which should be as loud as ever and I can't see Green Bay winning.

Considering this is the way I see it...at least it will be impossible for me to be disappointed. Sort of like being an Oakland fan for a week.
                          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

4 people are riding in a train carriage - A Packer fan, a pretty young blonde girl, an ugly old woman and Brett Favre.

It all goes dark when the train goes through a tunnel. In the dark there's the sound of an almighty slap, and when the train emerges from the tunnel Brett Favre is rubbing his face, and there's a huge red mark on his cheek.

The old lady thinks "I bet that Brett Favre fondled the blonde in the dark and she slapped him"

The pretty young blonde thinks " I bet Brett Favre tried to fondle me in the dark, got the old lady by mistake, and she hit him"

Brett Favre thinks "I bet that Packer fan fondled the blonde in the dark, but the blonde thought it was me and hit me"

The Packer Fan thinks "I hope there's another tunnel coming up soon so I can slap Brett Favre again"

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                              I beg to differ . I think the Vikings are a better team and will win. I don't think they are significantly better, but they are. The fact that two of Minnesota's greatest strengths match up well with what have been Green Bay's two huge weaknesses the past two weeks doesn't bode well for the Pack. Throw in the Dump which should be as loud as ever and I can't see Green Bay winning.

Considering this is the way I see it...at least it will be impossible for me to be disappointed. Sort of like being an Oakland fan for a week.
                              Or a Lions fan for a season...
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I'm a Vikes fan 2 weeks (and one time, 3 weeks) of the year. And I agree with you. I don't know WHAT to think. Despite Cheech's (Percy Harvin) production so far, I think the Packers' receivers are better (assuming Jennings is healthy and is playing). AP is obviously better, and I think the QBs are a wash (Favre somehow gets it done, with support of course, but Rodgers is the more talented/skilled/able-bodied at this point). Vikes' D-line is unreal. Defense is solid. GB? Tough to say. Better than last year, but that's not saying much.

Homefield doesn't exist at the Dome, but I guess that could change this year. Traditionally, there are more Packer fans there than there should be.

The line is about MN -3 right now, which in betting circles means a wash (home team gets 3 points automatically). In that aspect, I smell a trap, and that MN is actually favored by about 6.5-7.5, since WI usually bets on their team no matter what the odds are (so in this case, Vegas "wants/needs" more money to come in on MN).

I think the key for GB is to spread the D. Not necessarily downfield, but spread out, with Rodgers making a lot of screens and such. Get MN's front line to leave gaps, so the GB running game can maybe MAYBE succeed.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X