Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puter Help... I hate these **** machines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: Puter Help... I hate these **** machines!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Dell computers have a storied history of not playing nicely with non-Dell parts. For years, Dell used proprietary power supplies and motherboards with non-standard connectors. They supposedly stopped doing that with their desktops several years ago, but laptops are anyone's guess.

Could just be that the RAM you bought was a lemon. I've had it happen before.
    See also:Gateway and Sony. Doomed their products for stretches.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Dell computers have a storied history of not playing nicely with non-Dell parts. For years, Dell used proprietary power supplies and motherboards with non-standard connectors. They supposedly stopped doing that with their desktops several years ago, but laptops are anyone's guess.

Could just be that the RAM you bought was a lemon. I've had it happen before.

Leave a comment:

• brookyone
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    It should have been a no brainer. Does it have 2 slots? It may want 2 4GB cards.

Otherwise, blame the communists.
    No...one slot. I asked Dell that before I purchased the 8GB or opened the notebook. Dell tech states that alarm sequence indicates RAM failure.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Tried the 8GB RAM card upgrade today. No go. RAM card (PNY) installed easy as pie as advised here by several. Turn on the notebook and all I get is an alarm of two loud beeps...pause...two loud beeps...repeating. Reinstall the original 4GB RAM card and PC works just fine.

Back to Best Buy to return the PNY RAM. Guess I'll have to buy the 8GB card from Dell at a $30.00 premium over other brands.
    It should have been a no brainer. Does it have 2 slots? It may want 2 4GB cards.

Otherwise, blame the communists.

Leave a comment:

• brookyone
    replied

Tried the 8GB RAM card upgrade today. No go. RAM card (PNY) installed easy as pie as advised here by several. Turn on the notebook and all I get is an alarm of two loud beeps...pause...two loud beeps...repeating. Reinstall the original 4GB RAM card and PC works just fine.

Back to Best Buy to return the PNY RAM. Guess I'll have to buy the 8GB card from Dell at a $30.00 premium over other brands.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Never done it on a laptop, but it is that simple on desktops. As long as the memory is readily accessible, I'd imagine it's just as simple for laptops.
    It's even easier in a laptop. Manufacturers have taken to locating the memory sticks under the battery compartment.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Recently bought an inexpensive Dell Inspiron notebook, primarily for use as a source for music integrated into an audio / home theater system. Supplied new with 4GB memory card...expandable to 8GB. I've never cracked the case on any PC...desktop or notebook, but I want to upgrade to the 8GB memory. A little research and it looks like a fairly simple procedure. Just access the memory card port...or whatever, remove the original and the new card pretty much snaps right in...in place of. Anyone have experience with replacement or upgrade of a memory card? Is it that simple...or anything else I need to know?

The 8GB card...Dell wants $150.00. Anyplace online I might buy one for less?

Thanks!
    Never done it on a laptop, but it is that simple on desktops. As long as the memory is readily accessible, I'd imagine it's just as simple for laptops.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    It is that simple. Just be careful installing the new RAM chips, and you need to be gentle yet force them in. [Insert joke here]

Obviously, don't do it will the laptop running or plugged in.

And try Newegg.com for a better price.
    Or Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

It is that simple. Just be careful installing the new RAM chips, and you need to be gentle yet force them in. [Insert joke here]

Obviously, don't do it will the laptop running or plugged in.

And try Newegg.com for a better price.

Leave a comment:

• brookyone
    replied

Recently bought an inexpensive Dell Inspiron notebook, primarily for use as a source for music integrated into an audio / home theater system. Supplied new with 4GB memory card...expandable to 8GB. I've never cracked the case on any PC...desktop or notebook, but I want to upgrade to the 8GB memory. A little research and it looks like a fairly simple procedure. Just access the memory card port...or whatever, remove the original and the new card pretty much snaps right in...in place of. Anyone have experience with replacement or upgrade of a memory card? Is it that simple...or anything else I need to know?

The 8GB card...Dell wants $150.00. Anyplace online I might buy one for less?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Unplug the router, wait 10 seconds. Plug it in again.

If that fails, delete the network and readd it. Don't know why, but it works, especially if you're in hotels that may have the same network name but are 100's of miles apart.
    The unplug trick worked. I'm still thinking of buying a new computer, though... this one is a dinosaur. The CD-R drive is still jammed shut, the screen is shot (plugged into a monitor so I can use it at all), and the wireless card is old. I'm thinking a new laptop will suffice... all I use a computer for now is internet and music. And I have a 500 gb external hard drive, so I can load all my music.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

If that fails, delete the network and readd it. Don't know why, but it works, especially if you're in hotels that may have the same network name but are 100's of miles apart.
    And if all else fails, I hear there's internet out Californee-way.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Question: the wireless internet on my laptop will not hold a signal. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting, repairing the connection, etc, only to be met with "limited or no connectivity." The computer is an IBM Thinkpad and it's from 2005. Also, the in-house internet is DSL from Frontier, so I don't know whether it's the computer or the network itself. What can I do to stay connected?

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Question: the wireless internet on my laptop will not hold a signal. I have tried restarting the computer, disconnecting and reconnecting, repairing the connection, etc, only to be met with "limited or no connectivity." The computer is an IBM Thinkpad and it's from 2005. Also, the in-house internet is DSL from Frontier, so I don't know whether it's the computer or the network itself. What can I do to stay connected?

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

When in doubt, delete cache and reset. Then uninstall/reinstall.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X