Hobey Baker Award History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobey Baker Award History

Gray hairs are sapping my memory and brains. I know the AHCA now gives the Sid Watson Award to the DIII player of the year starting in 1993. But who made the award previously, and where are those records? Memory tells me that there was a "college division" Hobey Baker winner when I was in college in the '80's, but I can only find a few mentions of it on the sites of a few schools. Do any of you other geezers have a better memory, or can any of you young whippersnappers find that info? Thanks.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Re: Hobey Baker Award History

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Gray hairs are sapping my memory and brains. I know the AHCA now gives the Sid Watson Award to the DIII player of the year starting in 1993. But who made the award previously, and where are those records? Memory tells me that there was a "college division" Hobey Baker winner when I was in college in the '80's, but I can only find a few mentions of it on the sites of a few schools. Do any of you other geezers have a better memory, or can any of you young whippersnappers find that info? Thanks.
    In the beginning, the Hobey Baker Award was to be awarded to the best *college hockey* player irrespective of Division. There were a few D-II and D-III nominations in the early years.

When it became apparent that the Hobey Baker was only going to D-I players, the Sid was created.

There used to be a list of all the nominees up on the Hobey Baker site, but that appears to no longer exist.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

From Babson's site:

However, no star shone more brightly during this stretch than Tom Sasso, whose individual accolades are unmatched in the annuls of Babson hockey. In 1986, the legendary forward was the program's first-ever winner of the College Division Hobey Baker Award - given annually to the best college hockey player in the country. The following year, he became the first person in Hobey Baker history to win the College Division Award twice.
      I graduated a year before Tom and remember the Hobey stories from those years. I shot all the team pictures and individual head shots for the AD, and I don't think there was another athlete in my four years who ended up providing me more income.

USCHO has the list of nominees and has some of the DIII players, but I can't find a list of DIII winners. And the Hobey site doesn't have a "Contact" button.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Why is there no mention of the DII winners on the Hobey site? Paul Lohnes won the award while playing at ULowell in 1982.

Comment

Working...
        X