Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going to Pittsburgh

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Yeah, I definitely remember hitting one up in San Diego a couple years ago. Did it originate in PGH?
    i believe in vegas, but def not the burgh
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      The real question is "where is the drinking?" Our crew is the craft/micro type... But anywhere w good people is fine.

I look forward to meeting a lot of you and seeing some people I haven't run into in awhile (bsaeagle)
      My two rules when traveling: eat well and drink well. My crew is craft/micro type, too. From my research, here are some places I'm planning to hit. (Note: we will not have a car, either, so all of these places are walk/public bus/cab-friendly. We are staying in Oakland.)

Sharp Edge Bistro On Penn (922 Penn Avenue) - Downtown/near Consol Energy Center
      Meat & Potatoes (649 Penn Avenue) - Downtown/near Consol Energy Center
      Piper's Pub (1828 East Carson Street) - South Side
      Fat Heads Saloon (1805 East Carson Street) - South Side
      Smokin' Joes (2001 East Carson Street) - South Side
      Ds 6Pak & Dogs (1118 South Braddock Avenue) - Regent Park
      Hough's (563 Greenfield Avenue) - Greenfield

Last two are probably cabs from downtown, but it sounds like they're worth it.
      Twitter: @buking21

Comment

Are there any breakfast places (read: diner) near the Consol? I'm staying at the Cambria Suites. I hate breakfasts at hotels and would rather go to a diner. Or even a bagel place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Are there any breakfast places (read: diner) near the Consol? I'm staying at the Cambria Suites. I hate breakfasts at hotels and would rather go to a diner. Or even a bagel place.
          Walking???
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

mmmm, breakfast. I have been looking forward to going out to breakfast. I did a google search and nothing seemed too close, but hopefully a local can provide a recommendation.

Comment

i've heard the general neighborhood around consol is iffy. Not sure based on that if there will be any local stuff... I'd try checking out between consol and PNC.

---

King, us geeks have arranged a friday happy hour at sharp edge... this is doubly unofficial because technically the sponsor organization isn't sponsoring and sharp edge wouldn't guarentee us jack... but I'll get over there at some point.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Walking???
                I am a bit crabby in the morning till I've had my coffee and orange juice so if some lowlife wants to bother me in my walk to get said coffee and orange juice, well, he (or she) is taking a big chance.

Originally posted by jen View Post
                mmmm, breakfast. I have been looking forward to going out to breakfast. I did a google search and nothing seemed too close, but hopefully a local can provide a recommendation.
                When we were at Jenna's last weekend, Chuck had some stuff and it looks like there's a Bruegger's Bagels pretty close by. We managed there when we were in St. paul, didn't we? Of course we had Mickey's close by as well. I want a Mickey's Diner type of place.

Comment

I am a bit crabby in the morning till I've had my coffee and orange juice so if some lowlife wants to bother me in my walk to get said coffee and orange juice, well, he (or she) is taking a big chance.

When we were at Jenna's last weekend, Chuck had some stuff and it looks like there's a Bruegger's Bagels pretty close by. We managed there when we were in St. paul, didn't we? Of course we had Mickey's close by as well. I want a Mickey's Diner type of place.
                  According to the google there's two bruggers and a dunk quarter/half mile to the west of consol (my search was based off of Duquesne which is direct south of consol)
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

We are also staying at the Cambria Suites (and I'm definitely up for a good breakfast myself). This place gets good reviews but it's a 30 minute walk (though the hotel says it has complimentary shuttle service around downtown so that might be an option).

http://www.pamelasdiner.com/wp-conte...strip_menu.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MaryK View Post
                      We are also staying at the Cambria Suites (and I'm definitely up for a good breakfast myself). This place gets good reviews but it's a 30 minute walk (though the hotel says it has complimentary shuttle service around downtown so that might be an option).

http://www.pamelasdiner.com/wp-conte...strip_menu.pdf

Oooooooo!. Good to know. In my quest to excercise, I have been trying to walk in the mornings. This could be a reason to do so. Or, you know, shuttle there, walk back. Especially if I get pancakes. jen? Thoughts?

Comment

Oooooooo!. Good to know. In my quest to excercise, I have been trying to walk in the mornings. This could be a reason to do so. Or, you know, shuttle there, walk back. Especially if I get pancakes. jen? Thoughts?
                        walking both ways sounds good to me. the more we walk, the more cocktails and croissant French toast we can have. and it's a good excuse to pack yet another pair of shoes.

edit: although with the number of cocktails that are usually consumed... we should probably walk to san francisco for breakfast.
                        Last edited by jen; 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

There's also:

City Cafe, 951 Liberty
                          https://plus.google.com/108258126136...gl=US&hl=en-US

and Bluebird Kitchen, 221 Forbes
                          http://bluebirdkitchen.com/

Both downtown, and (according to Google maps) a little under a mile away.

(And I'm not even going! )
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                            There's also:

City Cafe, 951 Liberty
                            https://plus.google.com/108258126136...gl=US&hl=en-US

and Bluebird Kitchen, 221 Forbes
                            http://bluebirdkitchen.com/

Both downtown, and (according to Google maps) a little under a mile away.

(And I'm not even going! )
                            Excellent!! And you need to go to a FF one of these days.

ETA: Breakfast only served till 10:30am???? Bluebird Kitchen is off the list!!

Comment

ETA: Breakfast only served till 10:30am???? Bluebird Kitchen is off the list!!
                              It's not a diner unless it serves breakfast all day!

Comment

There should be a Starbucks on every street corner

I stayed in Boston for the Hockey East tournament and my hotel was 2 blocks from the subway stop. In that space I had three Dunkin Donuts and 2 Starbucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X