Going to Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Pittsburgh

My son and I are traveling to Pittsburgh in April for the Frozen Four. We have never been to Pittsburgh so we are asking for some information.

We have Friday and Saturday mornings and afternoons open for sightseeing. We also need recommendations for breakfast and lunch both days. We are staying at the Courtyard Downtown on Penn Ave and will not have a car.

Thanks.
    Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Re: Going to Pittsburgh

I'm told that Pamela's is the place to go for breakfast in Pittsburgh. There are multiple locations. I don't know exactly where your Courtyard is. But it looks you should be about 10-15 blocks from the Pamela's on 21st Street.

Again, this a second hand recommendation. I'll be trying it for the first time myself. But the hope is that it's comparable to First Watch in Columbus. Remember?

On a procedural note, this conversation should probably shift over to the Cafe. But I did want to give you an immediate, direct reply on the breakfast question.

Comment

Pretty sure the Pirates are playing at home that weekend, so you could catch a baseball game if you were interested.

There are a few things to see.
      -The strip district is just off of downtown area and has shops and restaurants.
      - Carnegie offers several museums downtown (history, science, etc)
      - You could ride the duquesne incline trolley
      - South side, which is just across the river from downtown has a shopping area also (think AE, Old Navy, etc)
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Pretty sure the Pirates are playing at home that weekend, so you could catch a baseball game if you were interested.
        I think I've mentioned in the MLB thread previously, the Pirates have a home game against the Reds Friday evening and the ticket prices are (IMO) quite reasonable.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I should have mentioned the we already have tickets to the baseball game. The duquesne incline trolley looks like a possibility.

Thanks for the help.
          Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

- South side, which is just across the river from downtown has a shopping area also (think AE, Old Navy, etc)
            I'm told Primanti Brothers is the place to go in Pittsburgh. The original location is in the strip district on 18th Street.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
              I'm told Primanti Brothers is the place to go in Pittsburgh. The original location is in the strip district on 18th Street.
              Primanti Brothers is good,be warned it is not what you would call a
              heart healthy menu.

Jerome Bettis' restaurant was on the water by the football stadium...decent fare.
              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                Primanti bro's is a must!
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                  Jerome Bettis' restaurant was on the water by the football stadium...decent fare.
                  It's a floating restaurant?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    It's a floating restaurant?
                    it is not
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                      Did you know he's from Detroit?
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        Did you know he is a Capricorn?
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Pittsburgh is butt-boring, but you may be able to waste a couple of days. Just don't plan a return trip. Of note from my visits....

1) The Strip District may interest some people, but its a low rent version of Lansdowne St in Boston (the area near Fenway Park). A couple of bars in old warehouses and shops selling cheap stuff. Not a bad place to kill some time, but not a life changing experience.

2) The Mellon museum was a bit of a disappointment. They have all plaster casts of great art work. So while seeing Winged Victory or the Venus de Milo as a replica may be okay, its loses its appeal if you've already seen the real thing. There was a very cool video playing of wild animals trashing a hotel room though, which may be a good harbinger of NCAA hockey fans at the Frozen Four!

3) The area where Pitt is (near the museum) is a decent neighborhood. Liked it there. Also go on other side of Pitt tunnel and climb up until you get to a lookout point to view the city which is nice.

4) River cruise is fine, just don't look down at what's floating in the water. I won't say any more than that...

5) If you like Andy Warhol (and I don't) he's from there so they have a place with all his artwork over the bridge on the side of the city where the football and baseball stadiums are.

6) Lastly, I'm not 100% sure where the new arena is, but behind the Igloo is a no-BS 20 block slum that I had the pleasure of driving through with my out of state plates and having a stop sign at every block. Avoid at all costs the area behind the old ice hockey area even though its on the edge of downtown.
                          Last edited by Rover; 02-25-2013, 12:30 PM.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            Born and raised in south Detroit.

Comment

You know, as excited as I am to be going to a real city with a worthwhile transit system this April, I have to admit that the warm-weather Frozen Four was a lot of fun. I doubt we'll be doing much in the way of sitting outside and sipping frozen drinks in Pittsburgh.

Comment

Working...
                              X