2020 Olympics-Wrestling Out and Rugbyand Golf In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Olympics-Wrestling Out and Rugbyand Golf In

The Olympic Committee has announced for the 2020 games that all Wrestling will be removed-both freestyle and Greco Roman while Golf and Rugby will be added. They are considering applications for inclusion-Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. I don't know about anyone else but i think Wrestling having been included since the earliest days probably deserves to be included before anyone considers wushu.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Re: 2020 Olympics-Wrestling Out and Rugbyand Golf In

Swapping golf for wrestling is a shame... Removing wrestling is bad enough... I'm going to guess they didn't pay enough bribe money.

Seriously though, how do you remove a core sport to the Olympic movement that is done in hundreds of countries. Very pathetic. I'd hope that the USOC puts this ahead of baseball and softball in their lobbying efforts.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      The Olympic Committee has announced for the 2020 games that all Wrestling will be removed-both freestyle and Greco Roman while Golf and Rugby will be added. They are considering applications for inclusion-Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. I don't know about anyone else but i think Wrestling having been included since the earliest days probably deserves to be included before anyone considers wushu.
      I can't believe they will drop wrestling. What will all the 'stans compete in now? And what de f is wushu? Sounds like something on the menu at a Japanese restaurant.

Comment

That is awful. Wrestling has been part of the Olympics' core since... you know, the original Olympics. In ancient Greece. Totally ridiculous.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Whatever became of the proposition to include pole dancing in the Olympics? http://www.khou.com/sports/163839986.html
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
            Swapping golf for wrestling is a shame...
            Actually, the IOC isn't swapping golf for wrestling. Golf is an Olympic sport in 2016 in Rio.

C'mon, everyone knows modern pentathalon is more TV-friendly that wrestling. Right????

The IOC executive board decided Tuesday to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of core sports.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              That is awful. Wrestling has been part of the Olympics' core since... you know, the original Olympics. In ancient Greece. Totally ridiculous.
              Right! It's not like baseball and softball where the host country is stuck with a couple of stadiums that won't get any use after the games. All wrestling needs for the Olympics is a decent sized arena, that could be used for different stuff after the games. Like concerts and other sports as well.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I'm not a wraslin fan, far from it, but still....this is a terrible decision. I am a fan of golf, but I still don't think it should be in the Olympics. Golf had its own championships, it doesn't need the Olympics (I feel the same about Tennis, BTW). For any sport in the Olympics, winning the gold medal should be the first or second greatest achievement in that sport. For Golf, it will be behind the Open, US Open and Masters for sure, and maybe the PGA. For track and field, figure skating, gymnastics and WRASLIN, a gold medal is the highest achievement.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

What a joke.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Ridiculous. But, the IOC is a circus, so not unexpected. Wrestling should absolutely be part of the Olympics. It's certainly very widespread. Have they given a reason (excuse) for getting rid of wrestling?
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I'm not a wraslin fan, far from it, but still....this is a terrible decision. I am a fan of golf, but I still don't think it should be in the Olympics. Golf had its own championships, it doesn't need the Olympics (I feel the same about Tennis, BTW). For any sport in the Olympics, winning the gold medal should be the first or second greatest achievement in that sport. For Golf, it will be behind the Open, US Open and Masters for sure, and maybe the PGA. For track and field, figure skating, gymnastics and WRASLIN, a gold medal is the highest achievement.
                      True, but it gives the host cities an excuse to build a top notch course, which in turn could generate greater tourism dollars after the games have ended. One of the big reasons baseball and softball were dropped a few years back is that the cost of the stadiums far outweighed their long-term benefits. Cities had these large stadiums, and the sport just wasn't popular in the host countries. Golf is popular in most parts of the world, and a nice course is popular with the people willing to spend more money on their destination vacations.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                        Actually, the IOC isn't swapping golf for wrestling. Golf is an Olympic sport in 2016 in Rio.

C'mon, everyone knows modern pentathalon is more TV-friendly that wrestling. Right????
                        I meant intrinsically, but from a literal standpoint, yes, you are correct

Edit: of course I do have issues w gorf and rugby... With gorf a single 4 round tournament seems to short to award something as weighty as a gold medal. I could see 8 rounds or 36 hole match play (variant?). With rugby 7s... Similar criticism... I like the addition of rugby but the sevens game is rather varied (higher parity) and in my opinion is too short of a match, but admittly this is a better option than full 15-man 80 minute slog fest rugby... In the Olympic setting
                        Last edited by Patman; 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

But BMX biking is still in, right?!?!?!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

What a joke.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              True, but it gives the host cities an excuse to build a top notch course, which in turn could generate greater tourism dollars after the games have ended. One of the big reasons baseball and softball were dropped a few years back is that the cost of the stadiums far outweighed their long-term benefits. Cities had these large stadiums, and the sport just wasn't popular in the host countries. Golf is popular in most parts of the world, and a nice course is popular with the people willing to spend more money on their destination vacations.
                              The tourism thing makes sense in theory, but if having a high end golf course is going to be that much of a success in a place like Rio, then a golf course development company probably would have already developed something. For that kind of development, the Olympics isn't really needed, it should happen organically, if the market is there. I mean, poor as hell little island nations in the Caribbean have world class golf courses, because the demand is there.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X