Converting fridge to kegerator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting fridge to kegerator!

Hi all, I'm about to start the process of converting a full size fridge into a kegerator. Turns out that deciding to go back to school and take classes online also made me miss the consistent drinking aspect of college. I know the basic supplies that I'll need and I'm pretty confident that I can get it all setup fairly quickly.

What I'm looking/hoping for are some suggestions on customizations people may have. That could be tap handles, custom setups and especially beer suggestions. I'll be doing at least a double tap and I'm not sure yet if I'll add a third. I'm going with at least two corny kegs and may try fitting in a pony keg if possible.

I know I'm going to start with a microbrew from a local Colorado Springs brewer, Rocky Mountain brewery. After that, I'm open to suggestions. The major issue is getting some of the east coast (Gritty's, Sea Dog) beers out here. So if you have suggestions on that, I'd love to hear them.

Re: Converting fridge to kegerator!

You could support former Cornell defenseman Douglas Murray and go with The Ubertap.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

This thread would fit in nicely with the Homebrew thread. You can put all 5 gal of your homebrew in a 5-gal soda keg and have homebrew keg goodness. Most Brew-your-own shops sell the equipment.
      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I have a homemade kegerator made from a dorm fridge. It fits under my custom built bar and holds two corny kegs. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it and post it.

It was a pretty simple set up. The only pipes to watch out for were behind the fridge and as part of the internal condenser. I just avoided drilling holes anywhere near those areas. Otherwise, I just have two holes in the top for the tap lines and two holes in the side for the CO2 lines. It's worked really well for about the last 7 years.
        scsuhockey.com
        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Step 1: Get refrigerator.

Step 2: Get beer. Lots of beer. Use the fridge to keep 'em appropriately chilled.

Step 3: Drink lots of beer.

Step 4: What were we talking about again?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Step 1: Get refrigerator.

Step 2: Get beer. Lots of beer. Use the fridge to keep 'em appropriately chilled.

Step 3: Drink lots of beer.

Step 4: What were we talking about again?
            Supposedly, it's too much work for someone to open the fridge, grab the bottle of beer, close the fridge, and open the bottle. Not to mention, what to do with the bottles. They want to instead put the keg in the fridge, and use a hose that pops through the fridge to extract the liquid from the keg.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
              This thread would fit in nicely with the Homebrew thread. You can put all 5 gal of your homebrew in a 5-gal soda keg and have homebrew keg goodness. Most Brew-your-own shops sell the equipment.
              Sorry about that, I didn't see the homebrew page. The 5-gal soda keg is what one of the smaller brewers use out here. I've ordered one from them before was "forced" to drink it in two days so that it didn't go flat. They also sell all the equipment I'll need for the conversion, so I'm planning on hitting them up for the beer too.

Exiled One, I thought about buying a mini-fridge and doing the conversion but then I remembered my girlfriend has a nice full size spare fridge in her basement next to the bar. Due to the freezer, I'll have to have the taps coming out of the front instead of being able to have a tower like a dorm fridge. However, allows me to keep some of the shelving in so we can put mixers and cans/bottles in the fridge too.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Supposedly, it's too much work for someone to open the fridge, grab the bottle of beer, close the fridge, and open the bottle. Not to mention, what to do with the bottles. They want to instead put the keg in the fridge, and use a hose that pops through the fridge to extract the liquid from the keg.
                This solution really does make a lot more sense for homebrewers. Kegging is sooooooooo much easier than bottling.
                scsuhockey.com
                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Note: I was trying to be cheeky.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X