X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burd
    replied
    Re: Travel question: Turkey

Got back from this Turkey trip last week. Just a delightful trip. Saw some of but not all the things you guys suggested. Highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• MadTownSioux
    replied

If you want to see some REAL history, look up Catalhoyuk (or any of its dozen or so other spellings). One of the first ever gathering places of humans into a 'city', about 9500 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

US Embassy in Ankara attacked by a suicide bomber today.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...ybov3DDAxoyZTP

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
    They took the time to haggle with you when they could have been haggling with somebody else during the time. They gotta pay the bills as well.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
    I heard from someone who lives there that everything in the Grand Bazaar is bartered--no set prices. So I can see why some traditions and unwritten rules become important.

The thought of walking through a business complex which began before Columbus' time and which has over 3,000 businesses representing so many cultural influences is pretty appealing. I was a dumb sucker at little county fairs as a kid though,(tried to knock over the cats for more years than I care to admit), so I'd be dead meat negotiating with a Turk.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Grand Bazaar is good stuff. It was in Skyfall, last Bond movie.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    There was a nice piece about Istanbul on the rick steve's show which is on PBS. Looked very fun and doing a water tour of the Bosporus straights looked like a lot of fun too.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

There was a nice piece about Istanbul on the rick steve's show which is on PBS. Looked very fun and doing a water tour of the Bosporus straights looked like a lot of fun too.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    What!?!

Figured you'd be going by steamship and taking the family "car."

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Burd_in_Turkey.jpg******

Mrs Burd was very upset after seeing that. Said only the Devil himself could do that. Then we looked closer.

We traded that old clunker away last year for one with springs under. It ain't us at all! HaHaHa!

Gotta get up pretty early to fool a Burd.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by burd View Post

Personally, $10/gal gas will have more effect on my visit than worrying about Hassan.

What!?!

Figured you'd be going by steamship and taking the family "car."

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Burd_in_Turkey.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I've been to Ankara, Adana, and Istanbul among others.. I liked them all. I took a public bus from Adana to Tarsus, and down to the coast for the day and had fun. The bus went really slowly and played the obligatory music. The seats were reserved and it smelled pretty bad but after a bit you get used to it. People were very friendly too. No issues, but I didn't go to the bars either. I would avoid the public toilets however.
    And that's from a guy who spreads manure everybody. Think about it.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

I've been to Ankara, Adana, and Istanbul among others.. I liked them all. I took a public bus from Adana to Tarsus, and down to the coast for the day and had fun. The bus went really slowly and played the obligatory music. The seats were reserved and it smelled pretty bad but after a bit you get used to it. People were very friendly too. No issues, but I didn't go to the bars either. I would avoid the public toilets however.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
    Turkey is normally a great place to visit. but, with Assad losing control of Syria - I would not be surprised if he attempts to widen the war to neighboring countries.
    I highly doubt Hassan has any such notion--there's nothing in it for him, militarily or politically. He has more than he can handle with his own rebellion. Now, what effect the US's contribution to Turkey's missle defense might have on terrorist activity inside Turkey is a more interesting question. Turkey also has other domestic terrorism concerns, including those with Kurdish elements, much like Spain has in the past with Basque separatists.

Personally, $10/gal gas will have more effect on my visit than worrying about Hassan. Of course, we may have to forget that little side trip over the border into Damascus.

Leave a comment:

• GopherBigGuy911
    replied

Turkey is normally a great place to visit. but, with Assad losing control of Syria - I would not be surprised if he attempts to widen the war to neighboring countries.

Leave a comment:

• Probert
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    My wife and I will have a couple of weeks in Turkey in a couple of months. Not work related, so we will have a lot of time. One week in Istanbul then 4 or 5 days for a little road trip. Neither of us has been to Turkey. I know I want to include historical sites along the western coast on the trip, and there are some pretty obvious sites in Istanbul as well. But if any of you have lived or visited there and can recommend things to do or places to see, I'd welcome suggestions.

High on the list, of course, is a bar where they will be showing the frozen four. You know, one with Greek/Roman/Persian/Mongol/Hun/Turk decor, a big screen, and a lot of drunk college hockey fans.
    I went in 2000 so some of my observations may be a bit dated. While Troy is not much to see, it's basically a big archaeological dig. Ephesus and Pergamon along the Mediterranean are the ancient sites to see. Antalaya and Kusadasi which is near Ephesus are nice cities to visit. For non historic sites the hot springs and cotton candy of Pamukkale are really cool and Cappadocia is very unique. As for Istanbul I would hit the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, smaller less crowded and different than the grand Bazaar, Topkopi Palace, definitely do the tour of the Harem, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, boat cruise on the Bosphorus, the underground cisterns are pretty good to visit as well. I thought Suleyman Mosque was nothing special Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosquewere nicer. Galata Tower is basically an observation tower and the other palaces along the Bosporus are okay I would do Topkopi and then if you want to hit another you can.
    Last edited by Probert; 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X