Travel question: Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel question: Turkey

My wife and I will have a couple of weeks in Turkey in a couple of months. Not work related, so we will have a lot of time. One week in Istanbul then 4 or 5 days for a little road trip. Neither of us has been to Turkey. I know I want to include historical sites along the western coast on the trip, and there are some pretty obvious sites in Istanbul as well. But if any of you have lived or visited there and can recommend things to do or places to see, I'd welcome suggestions.

High on the list, of course, is a bar where they will be showing the frozen four. You know, one with Greek/Roman/Persian/Mongol/Hun/Turk decor, a big screen, and a lot of drunk college hockey fans.

Re: Travel question: Turkey

Get ready for gas. Yogurt is pretty big there.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Turkey is totally safe in tourist areas. I would just play it safe, don't rely too much on individual locals and have fun. Having said that, a little story...

I was living in Latvia for a couple years in the mid 2000s. Over Christmas me and my local biz partner decided to sell Turkish trinkets in Latvia to make some additional cash. So I went down there to buy. Locals on the street had been very politely asking me througout my trip if I was enjoying my stay and if they could give me directions. I always said...nah, thanks though! The last day I thought...what the heck...I might as well get a chance to hang with some locals if I got the opportunity and get to know some people (I had visited about 30 european countries and liked talking to other travellers). So I someone again asked me on the streets if I needed any help...and I started talking to him. He knew of a local bar where we could hang out. It was cool..he was a chair salesman from Ankara the capital. After an hour he suggested we go to another local bar and hear some live music. I cautioned him I could only go for an hour or so and had little money on me. In reality, I had 3000 eur in my sock for buying products. Anyways, we went and he suggested a taxi. I wondered about that...he just said it would be easier. Well, we went away from where there were so many people down what was a main street just uninhabited at 10pm on a Sunday night. After some blocks, I asked him where this supposedly close bar was..and he told me..we're here, we're here. The taxi pulled over and there was a small entrance to an underground bar with two giant bouncers at the door.

We went down into a rather small but crowded bar. My Ankara friend ordered a couple of beers and we hung out. Two women came over and started talking to us. Mine was thirsty...of course, I knew better than to buy her a drink as that was usually the oldest trick in the book for expensive drinks...but said I would do so over lunch the next day. They brought over a plate of carrots and celery...and I reiterated I had like no money (still not telling about the 3k eur). So he ordered another beer for us and I we continued to talk. The girls wanted to go dance...but I knew I had my coat and I did have a camera in the pocket. So I finally relented and said I would dance at the end of the table. Finally the second beer was drank...and I told my Ankara friend that's it, I'm done, we need to go. Instantly the women stood up and left like a shot...and the waiter dropped a bill on the table. The friend from Ankara was astonished as he looked at the bill...and said this can't be right. He said the bill was 300 eur. I said 'What?!' He talked to the waiter in Turkish and said I think we can figure this out. We just need to go in the back room. My mind racing...i said OK. At that point, I saw the Ankara guy subtly wave to one of the bus boys...it was as I expected, he was in on it. So we started walking towards the backroom down a corridor...the waiter, then the Ankara guy, then me. The corridor got dark and turned to the right..but the stairs were to the left. So I hesitated as the two of them went around the corner. Then I turned left and took two deliberate steps at a time to go up the stairs quickly. Near the top of the stairs I remembered the bouncers and casually took one step at a time for the last 3 steps. As I cooly walked between them, I saw them look at each other surprised. I slowly walked a few feet down the road...and looked casually at my wrist and looked surprised. I didn't have a watch, but wanted to give them the idea that I was late. So I immediately went into a slow jog...and then kicked it in (I'm a runner) and was gone.

Anyways, the place is safe. Just stay to the tourist areas.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

For some reason, all I can think of when I see this is speaking Turkey. Example around 0:35:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Turkey is totally safe in tourist areas. I would just play it safe, don't rely too much on individual locals and have fun. Having said that, a little story...

Anyways, the place is safe. Just stay to the tourist areas.

Yikes! Lucky you didn't wake up in a bathtub of ice with no kidneys!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            My wife and I will have a couple of weeks in Turkey in a couple of months. Not work related, so we will have a lot of time. One week in Istanbul then 4 or 5 days for a little road trip. Neither of us has been to Turkey. I know I want to include historical sites along the western coast on the trip, and there are some pretty obvious sites in Istanbul as well. But if any of you have lived or visited there and can recommend things to do or places to see, I'd welcome suggestions.

High on the list, of course, is a bar where they will be showing the frozen four. You know, one with Greek/Roman/Persian/Mongol/Hun/Turk decor, a big screen, and a lot of drunk college hockey fans.
            I went in 2000 so some of my observations may be a bit dated. While Troy is not much to see, it's basically a big archaeological dig. Ephesus and Pergamon along the Mediterranean are the ancient sites to see. Antalaya and Kusadasi which is near Ephesus are nice cities to visit. For non historic sites the hot springs and cotton candy of Pamukkale are really cool and Cappadocia is very unique. As for Istanbul I would hit the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, smaller less crowded and different than the grand Bazaar, Topkopi Palace, definitely do the tour of the Harem, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, boat cruise on the Bosphorus, the underground cisterns are pretty good to visit as well. I thought Suleyman Mosque was nothing special Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosquewere nicer. Galata Tower is basically an observation tower and the other palaces along the Bosporus are okay I would do Topkopi and then if you want to hit another you can.
            Last edited by Probert; 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM.
            Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Turkey is normally a great place to visit. but, with Assad losing control of Syria - I would not be surprised if he attempts to widen the war to neighboring countries.
              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
              Go you Green and White
              Go Bemidji Beavers
              Fight with all your might!
              Rah! Rah! Rah!
              We are here to cheer you
              We are out to win your fame,
              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                Turkey is normally a great place to visit. but, with Assad losing control of Syria - I would not be surprised if he attempts to widen the war to neighboring countries.
                I highly doubt Hassan has any such notion--there's nothing in it for him, militarily or politically. He has more than he can handle with his own rebellion. Now, what effect the US's contribution to Turkey's missle defense might have on terrorist activity inside Turkey is a more interesting question. Turkey also has other domestic terrorism concerns, including those with Kurdish elements, much like Spain has in the past with Basque separatists.

Personally, $10/gal gas will have more effect on my visit than worrying about Hassan. Of course, we may have to forget that little side trip over the border into Damascus.

Comment

I've been to Ankara, Adana, and Istanbul among others.. I liked them all. I took a public bus from Adana to Tarsus, and down to the coast for the day and had fun. The bus went really slowly and played the obligatory music. The seats were reserved and it smelled pretty bad but after a bit you get used to it. People were very friendly too. No issues, but I didn't go to the bars either. I would avoid the public toilets however.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I've been to Ankara, Adana, and Istanbul among others.. I liked them all. I took a public bus from Adana to Tarsus, and down to the coast for the day and had fun. The bus went really slowly and played the obligatory music. The seats were reserved and it smelled pretty bad but after a bit you get used to it. People were very friendly too. No issues, but I didn't go to the bars either. I would avoid the public toilets however.
                    And that's from a guy who spreads manure everybody. Think about it.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

Personally, $10/gal gas will have more effect on my visit than worrying about Hassan.

What!?!

Figured you'd be going by steamship and taking the family "car."

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Burd_in_Turkey.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        What!?!

Figured you'd be going by steamship and taking the family "car."

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/Burd_in_Turkey.jpg******

Mrs Burd was very upset after seeing that. Said only the Devil himself could do that. Then we looked closer.

We traded that old clunker away last year for one with springs under. It ain't us at all! HaHaHa!

Gotta get up pretty early to fool a Burd.

Comment

There was a nice piece about Istanbul on the rick steve's show which is on PBS. Looked very fun and doing a water tour of the Bosporus straights looked like a lot of fun too.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            There was a nice piece about Istanbul on the rick steve's show which is on PBS. Looked very fun and doing a water tour of the Bosporus straights looked like a lot of fun too.
                            Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
                              Grand Bazaar is good stuff. It was in Skyfall, last Bond movie.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X