Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel question: Turkey

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
    I heard from someone who lives there that everything in the Grand Bazaar is bartered--no set prices. So I can see why some traditions and unwritten rules become important.

The thought of walking through a business complex which began before Columbus' time and which has over 3,000 businesses representing so many cultural influences is pretty appealing. I was a dumb sucker at little county fairs as a kid though,(tried to knock over the cats for more years than I care to admit), so I'd be dead meat negotiating with a Turk.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Yup, and he said that if you go into a bazaar and start haggling with a shop owner over price, you should purchase the product if you come to an agreed upon number. It's considered a slap in the shopkeeper's face to not purchase the item at that point.
      They took the time to haggle with you when they could have been haggling with somebody else during the time. They gotta pay the bills as well.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

US Embassy in Ankara attacked by a suicide bomber today.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...ybov3DDAxoyZTP
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

If you want to see some REAL history, look up Catalhoyuk (or any of its dozen or so other spellings). One of the first ever gathering places of humans into a 'city', about 9500 years ago.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Got back from this Turkey trip last week. Just a delightful trip. Saw some of but not all the things you guys suggested. Highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
            X