2013 Cycling Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Cycling Thread

Well as much fun as that last thread was, and it was, the new season is upon us!

So far, Andre Greipel has openned his account in Australia, winning the People's Choice Classic, essentially the opener for the TdU. The first real stage is tomorrow.

And today, Mark Cavendish won for his new team Omega-Pharma Quickstep in the Tour de San Luis. I'm a bit torn on this one, I like Quickstep, but not so much Cav... kinda like last year with Quickstep and Bottle.

Also Tirreno-Adriatico is hinting around its route and sounds good, TTT, ITT, Mountain stage, 2 sprint stages, and 2 classic-type stages.

Re: 2013 Cycling Thread

So if you had 0 in the how many times Phil and Paul would mention Lance during the TDU coverage you win. Greipel wins the stage going away but Gilbert looked strong. With more hills this year he may be a contender. Plus they had Robbie Mcewen doing commentary which made the usual duo better.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

What does anyone know about this Sacha Modolo guy? Is he the real deal or was him taking down Cav on a reportedly somewhat uphill finish just a one-off?

As for Phil and Paul....yeah, Phil needs to just hang it up. He's humiliated himself over the past six+ months. I prefer that other crew that works for NBC. Might not have as slick of voices but surely are more informative. If I hear "he's on the ride of his life" one more time I'm going to throw my television out the window.

I know I could google it, but anyone know where the TDU or San Luis are available to watch online?
      Last edited by XYZ; 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Modolo is a young and very skilled sprinter. I don't think he has the top end speed to consistently challenge Cav and Griepel but what he has is an ability to climb. He is good on uphill finishes and can get over the hills. He came 4th in San-Remo in 2010 so he certainly has the ability. As for TdU and San Luis, well, I'm not really sure. The TdU extended highlights (like 15-20 minutes packages) can be found here: http://www.dailymotion.com/cyclingvids#video=xqfspr You just need to scroll around a bit to find them. As for San Luis, I know coverage is VERY spotty, I think for the most part its just one stationary cam. I'm sure the link is in here somewhere: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthr...=19461&page=61

Comment

Well the first WT race is basically decided with Tom-Jelte Slagter finishing second to Simon Gerrans on Old Wilunga Hill in Australia. That should guarantee him the GC win.

Also Alberto Contador is on the board for the year. Winning in San Luis and looking to come 4th on GC. He claims to be 4 kgs over weight so seems to be a good ride.

Oh and I should have mentioned, for watching live cycling, always check steephill.tv or cyclingfans.com.

Comment

Just watched Strade Bianche, WHAT A RACE! Moreno Moser made a perfect counter about 20K out and won it on the 16% final climb. Of course, he teammate, Sagan, nullified Cance and came second. I'm kind of looking forward to the new race tomorrow, Roma Maxima, then its almost northern classics time.

Comment

Much like Strade Bianche, the Roma Maxima was great. Good attacking riding, a surprising winner and a spectacular backdrop for the finish. Here is Blel Kadri winning in Rome:
              http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...59781624_n.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Milan-San Remo temporarily halted while the riders are bused and driven around an extended section of the route where it's snowing heavily. Some of the riders have tweeted pics on the team buses, and none of them look very happy about the conditions.

Taylor Phinney

*****https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFjt20kCUAAV9nv.jpg:large******

Robbie Hunter

*****https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFjt3aCCMAA94oL.jpg:large******
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Even with the shortened route, the finale was great! Ciolek was perfect!

Comment

So Cancellara takes Roubaix after winning the Tour of Flanders, beats out young Sep Vanmarcke in the sprint. Omega got hosed though as they had 2 guys of 4 in the leading group along with Canc and Vanmarke who got eliminated from encounters with fans Zdenek Stybar managed to stay upright but fell behind on the pave and Stijn Vandenbergh ended up on the ground after getting clipped by a fan.
                    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Vandenbergh was already falling off the pace, and he clipped the fan because he was exhausted, and made a mistake. Stybar got screwed, because he was the only guy that could stay with Cance as he rode up to the two leaders, and might have taken him for the stage. Vanmarke's mistake was taking some pulls at the front. He should have wheelsucked Fabian for his life, and tried to save a little for the sprint.

Comment

Bradley Wiggins chucks his bike. Couldn't have been a more perfect bike toss if he tried.

http://video.eurosport.se/cykel/brad...38/video.shtml

Comment

And I slack on this thread bad despite watching the full gamut of the spring races...

Anyway, fantasy Giro is open at velogames. Anyone planning on creating a league? If not I can.

Comment

I've been slacking on this thread too! It was a great classics season but now on to the GTs. I'm in for Velogames. XYZ if you want to make the league go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Titleist View Post
                              I've been slacking on this thread too! It was a great classics season but now on to the GTs. I'm in for Velogames. XYZ if you want to make the league go for it.
                              League Name: USCHO
                              League Code: 30032921

Comment

Working...
                              X