Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS IV: Gays, Guns, and Immigrants, OH MY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS IV: Gays, Guns, and Immigrants, OH MY!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    My director of IT services, Mr. Brasi, will be contacting you shortly.
    Your IT guy sleeps with the fishes.

Comment

Really? Maybe Congre$$ would stop being lazy and write good, tight, laws that leave little wiggle room. Right now Congre$$ writes a jumble and lets God (oops, the courts) sort it out.

And, I see another judge used Justice Kennedy's opinion on DOMA to strike down the legislature (people's) will on same sex marriage. Justice Scalia was dead on in his dissent.
      With the collection of folks now on Capital Hill, good, tight laws is somewhere down the priority list near only spending money they have to spend.

Agreed on Scalia, as he often is.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        can someone explain to me why the recent appellate decision (effectively) doing away with the FCC's net neutrality policy is being billed as "the end of the Internet as we know it"?
        Propaganda from Google and Netflix. the only thing the ruling means is that high-bandwidth users might have to pay proportionate to their actual usage, just like electricity or water.

It's actually the opposite, its' a great step in the preservation of the internet as we know it!

If the FCC ruling were to stand, it would open the door for other countries to try to impose their controls on the internet too. If we want to preserve the internet as we know it, we need to keep any and all governments away from running it, including our own. there are plenty of totalitarian regimes who would love to use the FCC rule as cover to impose their own controls too.
        Last edited by FreshFish; 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
          What prevents Comcast from saying, screw a few extra bucks. We want to drive you out of business. We're going to block all traffic from Netflix even if our customers would pay $10/mo to access it.
          Existing anti-trust law.

Were Comcast to try such a tactic, we'd soon see internet service providers completely separated from content providers across the board as part of a settlement decree with the DoJ, similar to the way AT&T was split up years ago, in which long-distance service was separated from local telephone service.
          Last edited by FreshFish; 01-15-2014, 10:25 AM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Existing anti-trust law.

Were Comcast to try such a tactic, we'd soon see internet service providers completely separated from content providers across the board as part of a settlement decree with the DoJ, similar to the way AT&T was split up years ago, in which long-distance service was separated from local telephone service.
            Yeah, because cable companies carry every channel out there and never block their customers from receiving them due to pay disputes.

Get ready for tiered pricing internet based on content as well as usage. Comcast can't until 2018 due to a previous settlement, but Verizon's corporate speak press release signals that it's coming pretty clearly.

It's ironic you use at&t as your example, considering the reconsolidation that has been going in the area since then.
            Last edited by unofan; 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
              When has putting restrictions on a service that showed no real problems or need for restrictions actually helped?
              Clarifying - I'm not saying it helps, I'm not saying it's good, I just didn't really get why it's AS BAD as people were making it out to be.
              And, I see another judge used Justice Kennedy's opinion on DOMA to strike down the legislature (people's) will on same sex marriage. Justice Scalia was dead on in his dissent.
              The people's will SHOULDN'T ****ING MATTER if the people's will is to deny to some people the rights that are granted to others. What if some state passed a law that said "white people aren't allowed to get married"? So why should they be allowed to pass a law that says "gay people aren't allowed to get married"?
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                SHOULDN'T ****ING MATTER if the people's will is to deny to some people the rights that are granted to others. What if some state passed a law that said "white people aren't allowed to get married"? So why should they be allowed to pass a law that says "gay people aren't allowed to get married"?
                Do you really need to ask? Put it this way if OK had passed a law protecting Gay Marriage and the court overturned it what do you think the response would be?

Now you have your answer.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  Clarifying - I'm not saying it helps, I'm not saying it's good, I just didn't really get why it's AS BAD as people were making it out to be.?
                  Because telecom companies in the US suck, and if you give them an inch they will take a mile. I get why service in b.f.e. Iowa sucks, it is expensive to service a sparsely populated rural area. I don't get why service in NYC or Chicago or other major cities suck. If Seoul and tokyo can have gigabit service for $20/month, there is no reason our major cities can't have that at that price either.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Because telecom companies in the US suck, and if you give them an inch they will take a mile. I get why service in b.f.e. Iowa sucks, it is expensive to service a sparsely populated rural area. I don't get why service in NYC or Chicago or other major cities suck. If Seoul and tokyo can have gigabit service for $20/month, there is no reason our major cities can't have that at that price either.
                    The reason we can't have gigabyte service is three-fold. First, it's expensive to replace existing infrastructure. Second, replacing that service within high-density areas isn't going to do much good when you're trying to get data packets from said BFE Iowa. Third, regulators and/or politicians would cry foul if there was a systematic, long-term plan to provide a superior high-speed service only to certain areas and not have plans to provide the same to others.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The reason we can't have gigabyte service is three-fold. First, it's expensive to replace existing infrastructure. Second, replacing that service within high-density areas isn't going to do much good when you're trying to get data packets from said BFE Iowa. Third, regulators and/or politicians would cry foul if there was a systematic, long-term plan to provide a superior high-speed service only to certain areas and not have plans to provide the same to others.
                      Has more to do with profit then anything else. Nobody long term invests anymore.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Has more to do with profit then anything else. Nobody long term invests anymore.
                        That's why I listed the infrastructure cost first.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          That's why I listed the infrastructure cost first.
                          Yeah, but those costs don't prevent telecom from being profitable they just prevent them from being super profitable. Everything is at warp speed nowadays in finance. No one wants long term cost liability on the books even if that means future profit down the road.

I should have said max profit cause that's the true driver.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Another showdown hits SCOTUS docket on the limits of government power.

In Harris v Quinn, SCOTUS will determine whether governments can force people into a union against their will.

In March 2003, then Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich signed an executive order making the Service Employees International Union the monopoly bargaining representative for home-care workers. Governor Pat Quinn signed a second order in 2009. Such workers are often self-employed, don't work in state buildings or report to state officials. But Illinois uses Medicaid to subsidize home care for the disabled, which the governors used as the legal excuse to redefine home-care workers as state employees.

Pamela Harris cares at home for her severely disabled son, and she and seven others are challenging the Illinois rule in Harris v. Quinn. Their double-barreled First Amendment claim, which the High Court will hear Tuesday, is that they were first forced against their will to join a union, which violates their right to free association. Then their right to free speech was violated because the unions used their dues to spend on political causes they didn't support.
                            http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...n_AboveLEFTTop

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Another showdown hits SCOTUS docket on the limits of government power.

In Harris v Quinn, SCOTUS will determine whether governments can force people into a union against their will.
                              ... when acting as an employer, the biased one forgot to add.

Based on SCOTUSblog, it'll come down to Scalia's vote, since he seemed skeptical that governments should be treated differently than other employers as a constitutional matter.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                ... when acting as an employer, the biased one forgot to add.

Based on SCOTUSblog, it'll come down to Scalia's vote, since he seemed skeptical that governments should be treated differently than other employers as a constitutional matter.
                                Correct me if I'm wrong, but these employees are not forced into a union against their will. Rather, the employees must pay a fee to the union because the union represents them (Agency Shop theory).
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X