Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power of the SCOTUS IV: Gays, Guns, and Immigrants, OH MY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Power of the SCOTUS IV: Gays, Guns, and Immigrants, OH MY!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Fishy if you're looking for abuse there's no need to ask for it in public. Send me an e-mail and I'll happily rip you a new one for a small fee of course!

However I'll be happy to address your topic. You seem to think I hate Republicans or conservatives. Not true. I hate knuckledraggers. These people (epitomized in Congress by the Bachmann's of the world) can't be reasoned with. They don't want to be reasoned with. They will take unreasonable positions in order to get themselves on TV and maybe work a deal to head up a foundation (Jim DeMint) or a gig on Fox Cable (Palin) without a care if this is harmful to the country or not.

Now, all of this wouldn't matter if it was one person or two, but over half the GOP caucus in the House and Senate is this way, so they must be crushed for the good of the country. Then maybe these so called traditional conservatives will re-assert themselves if they in fact still exist. The lamestream media won't do it because they're too interested in "fairness" so they won't call out ridiculous positions. That in turn encourages knuckledraggers to take bizzare positions on issues because they don't feel they'll ever get called on it.

So, its my job as head of Rover Nation to do just that. Wherever I see such idiocy, be it out here, in a bar, in a newspaper, etc I'll call it out. In case you haven't noticed, there's a whole movement of us doing this, which is why so called "dog whistle politics" doesn't work anymore. That's the new reality, because as I've said before, we Dems/libs/progressives/whatever are playing to win. With gun control, immigration reform and tax hikes on rich/military cuts are being enacted or coming down the pike, seems like we're doing our jobs.
    You're digging yourself into a hole here. Many of the left-wing positions are unreasonable from a standpoint that they are impossible to execute and achieve your goals, not to mention any side-effect harm that is given to the country. Whenever you happen to present a position, I challenge you on a standpoint of execution, and several others challenge you in terms of side effects. You can talk the talk as much as you want with what you spew, but be prepared to walk the walk.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      You're digging yourself into a hole here. Many of the left-wing positions are unreasonable from a standpoint that they are impossible to execute and achieve your goals, not to mention any side-effect harm that is given to the country. Whenever you happen to present a position, I challenge you on a standpoint of execution, and several others challenge you in terms of side effects. You can talk the talk as much as you want with what you spew, but be prepared to walk the walk.
      I'm not interested in every left wing position in the world. I'm more than happy to defend my own ideas however. In fact I already said in detail (to pirate maybe) about how I'd balance the budget and I've detailed a plan for what I think is a big winner - energy independence. If there's one thing I'm not, its shy.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm not interested in every left wing position in the world. I'm more than happy to defend my own ideas however. In fact I already said in detail (to pirate maybe) about how I'd balance the budget and I've detailed a plan for what I think is a big winner - energy independence. If there's one thing I'm not, its shy.
        I'm happy to see that you are proactive with coming up with budget cuts. We need to ensure that we aren't tacking on new spending at the same time, though, otherwise you're defeating the purpose of what you're doing.

Comment

. You seem to think I hate Republicans or conservatives. Not true. I hate knuckledraggers. These people (epitomized in Congress by the Bachmann's of the world) can't be reasoned with. They don't want to be reasoned with. They will take unreasonable positions .
          So how does that make them anything other than your doppelganger? you've bragged many times about how proud you are to be equally unreasonable ("hatchet man" is a term you used to describe yourself, no?).

it is quite rare that you ever respond to a reasonable comment in a reasonable manner. if you disagree with something someone said, your typical tactic is to call them names and ridicule them....exactly the same thing you say the other side does. It is quite rare that you ever address the substance of another person's comments.

For example, I said it is "immature" for any leader to complain that a problem is "not his fault." You gloss over that entirely without any response whatsoever. to me, that is a tacit acknowledgement on your part that you do in fact agree but are unwilling (or more likely, unable) to admit it. You seem to care little about right or wrong, effective or ineffective, healthy or unhealthy, it is all about sliming the other "side" and creating distraction so people don't notice the drawbacks of your "side."

Obama says one thing one day, he contradicts himself the next day, you don't care, no matter what he says or does, you will mindlessly defend him. When I criticize him, I provide reason and evidence for it. I'm not always down on everything he does, on those rare occasions when he's said or done something sensible, I'll acknowledge it. it is the course of action that matters.

I'm not on anyone's "side."
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            So how does that make them anything other than your doppelganger? you've bragged many times about how proud you are to be equally unreasonable ("hatchet man" is a term you used to describe yourself, no?).

it is quite rare that you ever respond to a reasonable comment in a reasonable manner. if you disagree with something someone said, your typical tactic is to call them names and ridicule them....exactly the same thing you say the other side does. It is quite rare that you ever address the substance of another person's comments.

For example, I said it is "immature" for any leader to complain that a problem is "not his fault." You gloss over that entirely without any response whatsoever. to me, that is a tacit acknowledgement on your part that you do in fact agree but are unwilling (or more likely, unable) to admit it. You seem to care little about right or wrong, effective or ineffective, healthy or unhealthy, it is all about sliming the other "side" and creating distraction so people don't notice the drawbacks of your "side."

Obama says one thing one day, he contradicts himself the next day, you don't care, no matter what he says or does, you will mindlessly defend him. When I criticize him, I provide reason and evidence for it. I'm not always down on everything he does, on those rare occasions when he's said or done something sensible, I'll acknowledge it. it is the course of action that matters.

Pride. One of the seven deadly sins that becomes the downfall of many cultures.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Oh please. I can come up with many legitimate criticisms of Obama. Not nonsensical ones like he changed his mind or won't take responsibility for the Bush economy. His handling of Israel-Palestine for example, or how the bills he passes take far too long to implement (Dodd-Frank, ACA). However, these are minor compared to the idiocy coming out of the right (death panels, closet Muslim, etc). Hence my ability to call this stuff out.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Oh please. I can come up with many legitimate criticisms of Obama. Not nonsensical ones like he changed his mind or won't take responsibility for the Bush economy. His handling of Israel-Palestine for example, or how the bills he passes take far too long to implement (Dodd-Frank, ACA). However, these are minor compared to the idiocy coming out of the right (death panels, closet Muslim, etc). Hence my ability to call this stuff out.
                The left likes to time their bills so the worst parts happen when the GOP's in charge. That's right, they may be crazy, but they're not stupid. They understand that they can't hold power forever, so that's why they time these things. Heck, I think they are expecting a GOP takeover in 2015, hence why they timed the PPACA as such. This allows knuckleheads like you to come in, point the finger, and gloat about how the left practically received divine right.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  The left likes to time their bills so the worst parts happen when the GOP's in charge. That's right, they may be crazy, but they're not stupid. They understand that they can't hold power forever, so that's why they time these things. Heck, I think they are expecting a GOP takeover in 2015, hence why they timed the PPACA as such. This allows knuckleheads like you to come in, point the finger, and gloat about how the left practically received divine right.
                  So what you're saying is Bush II's timing was off by a few months in his quest to leave the worst financial crisis at Obama's door? Too bad the $%%^ hit the fan in September of 08, huh?

Comment

Catholic organizations have been in court arguing against the HHS mandate that they must provide abortifacients to their employees. Apparently the HHS has promised the court to modify that rule!

the contraception coverage requirement as enacted would never be enforced against the plaintiffs, the court cited representations made by the government at oral argument that “it would never enforce 45 C.F.R. § 147.130(a)(1)(iv) in its current form against the appellants or those similarly situated as regards contraceptive services” and that “there will . . . be a different rule for entities like the appellees,” which the court construed as a “binding commitment.” Id. It also pointed to language from an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (“ANPRM”), which discusses alternatives to the contraception coverage requirement for certain self-certifying organizations, that the government “intend[s] to propose." [emphasis added]
                    In other words, the Government promised the court that it would modify the rule requiring religious organizations to provide abortifacients (note that a Plaintiff in a different case, Wheaton College, does offer preventive birth control; its suit is limited only to the rule requiring abortifacients. The series of court cases on this issue is not at all limited to the Catholic Church and preventive birth control).

Will HHS follow through on its promise? or are they merely stalling for time? The courts generally take a dim view of a defendant reneging on its promises. Will this administration even care? If they continue to ignore court orders, what happens then?

I wish we didn't even have to entertain such speculations.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Catholic organizations have been in court arguing against the HHS mandate that they must provide abortifacients to their employees. Apparently the HHS has promised the court to modify that rule!

In other words, the Government promised the court that it would modify the rule requiring religious organizations to provide abortifacients (note that a Plaintiff in a different case, Wheaton College, does offer preventive birth control; its suit is limited only to the rule requiring abortifacients. The series of court cases on this issue is not at all limited to the Catholic Church and preventive birth control).

Will HHS follow through on its promise? or are they merely stalling for time? The courts generally take a dim view of a defendant reneging on its promises. Will this administration even care? If they continue to ignore court orders, what happens then?

I would not trust one word Kathleen Sebelius says - especially when it comes to relations with the Roman Catholic Church.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

See the first 25 seconds of this clip.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I would not trust one word Kathleen Sebelius says - especially when it comes to relations with the Roman Catholic Church.
                          100 percent agree
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/02/ne...mandate-rules/

I'm sure you were just about to post this news though, as a non-partisan independent. Right?
                            Last edited by unofan; 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

The Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) responds:

“This morning the US Department of Health and Human Services issued a notice of proposed rulemaking on the government mandate that employee health plans must provide contraception, sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs as part of their coverage. On February 9, 2012, EWTN was the first organization to file a lawsuit challenging this mandate shortly after the original rules were promulgated by the government. That lawsuit is still pending in the US District Court in Birmingham, Alabama.

We have analyzed today’s notice with our legal team from the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and the initial conclusions are not promising. First, this is simply a notice of a proposed rule; it is not an actual rule that changes anything. Second, while the proposed rules might expand the mandate’s religious exemption for some organizations affiliated directly with the Church, it does not appear that EWTN will qualify for this exemption. Third, the proposed rules have not dealt with the concerns of self-insured health plans like EWTN’s. Today’s notice from the government simply kicks this can further down the road.

Sadly, throughout this proposed rule, the government continues to make the erroneous assertion that contraception, sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs are health care. They are not.

We will continue to study this notice with our attorneys, but are highly doubtful it will provide EWTN with any relief from this immoral mandate. EWTN remains firmly committed to pressing forward with our case in the Federal Courts and will take all steps necessary to challenge this unjust mandate.”
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                The Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) responds:
                                http://www.fark.com/comments/7569689?from_page=politics

Meanwhile, a more reasonable response from a Catholic group is made.

Also, I can now apparently say I know someone who watches the Catholic channel. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                                X