X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about "Race"

Why?

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Shoot them all and let a higher power sort it all out....

Comment

Bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster, is "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

Racist is a person who believes that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Can we say this:

When it comes to race, bigot is really racist?

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Without having read any of the thread...the guess is that some clarity would be useful.

There is a difference between being a bigot and being racist. Racism may not be that bad...whereas being a Bigot is nearly always bad. Let's take a look.

Being a Bigot means that you believe that your group is superior to other groups and/or deserves preferencial treatment. That could be a race...a sex...a nationality...etc. Frankly its Bigotry thats the problem.

Racism is that you believe there are differences between races. If looking at it terms of gender, most people understand there are differences between males and females...but that neither is superior. Now getting a bit controversial, some people claim disadvantaged minorities are racist like whites. This may be true. But I am of the opinion that disadvantaged minorities are far less likely to be Bigots than whites as its very uncommon for a disadvantaged minority to see themsleves as superior to whites.

Comment

Originally posted by ymmit View Post
        Racist is a person who believes that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
        Count me in. I firmly believe that race makes people of African descent superior athletes, on average, when compared to people of European descent.

To quote the noted anthropologist Chris Rock, "Black people dominate sports in the United States. 20% of the population and 90% of the final four. We own this [poo-poo]. Basketball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, and as soon as they make a heated hockey rink we'll take that [poo-poo] too."
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Count me in. I firmly believe that race makes people of African descent superior athletes, on average, when compared to people of European descent.

To quote the noted anthropologist Chris Rock, "Black people dominate sports in the United States. 20% of the population and 90% of the final four. We own this [poo-poo]. Basketball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, and as soon as they make a heated hockey rink we'll take that [poo-poo] too."
          Whereas a Bigot is someone who believes that other races, genders, etc. are inferior to their own. Again, technically one sees a differences in race...the other sees folks from other groups as inferior.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Do you size up the person before get up and move? What if he's your friend?

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            Again, from the gospel of Avenue Q "everyone's a little bit racist"

I'm in an empty theater and a stranger has the nerve to sit right next to me? I move, heck, I might leave completely. I do not care gender, race, color, breed, species. I assume they have no regard for my personal space and that I do not want to tolerate them for an entire movie. Unless it is crowded and there are no options, I expect at least a 1 seat barrier between myself and anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by ymmit View Post
              Do you size up the person before get up and move? What if he's your friend?
              If he's your friend, he's probably not a stranger, is he?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Why are people feeding the troll? I still maintain he's vbd. The style is identical but with slightly better English.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Why are people feeding the troll? I still maintain he's vbd. The style is identical but with slightly better English.
                  Because it's fun.

Comment

Proceed with caution:

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

But if you don't look, how do you know he's a friend?

That's why I asked him - "do you size him/her up before you get up?"

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X