Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about "Race"

1) How do you define 'race'?

2) Do you think 'race' is biological or social/cultural? Why?

3) Do you classify 'race' based on people's physical appearance?

4) How do you classify your own race?

5) Do you agree with this sentence: "Race is a myth; there is no such thing." Explain.

[note: see if you can answer the questions without using Google]

Edit: Sorry for the confusion. Race here refers to human race, like white, black, Asian, etc., not the race of running competition.
    Last edited by ymmit; 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM.

Re: Questions about "Race"

The race is to see whoever can get someone else to do their sociology homework for free on the web wins.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!!!
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The Timberwolves are too white.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

No sir. If this is for homework, I can google them right?

I do want people's thought on this.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          The race is to see whoever can get someone else to do their sociology homework for free on the web wins.

Comment

Originally posted by ymmit View Post

5) Do you agree with this sentence: "Race is a myth; there is no such thing." Explain.

[note: please answer the questions without google the answers]
            "Race" is who can get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. There is a cultural aspect of "race" because of a sense of pride amongst humans that one group is somehow better than the other. I classify "race" based upon the feelings regarding the end. I classify my own "race" as in progress. I do not agree with your sentence, based upon the number of track and speed skating events I see on the television.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.

Race in the OP refers to human race, like race of white, black, or yellow, etc., not the race of running competition.

Comment

Originally posted by ymmit View Post
                That small grain you eat with other foods.

Well since it's a plant I guess it's biological.

I guess so since they all cook it differently. The brown people like it with curry, and the people with the thin eyes like it with sweet and sour pork.

I usually cook it in a pot with some water until it's soft.

I hope it's real, otherwise I'd be ****ed to spend all of that time boiling a myth.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Race is my first name too!
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Let's see if you all agree on these answers:

1. Race=a person's skin color/ethnicity

2. Both biological and social/cultural: Biological because one's race is predetermined by genetics; Social/cultural because being of a certain race, depending on how one is brought up, can affect one's behavior when they follow the expectations/traditions of their race.

3. Most of the time, race can be determined by one's external appearance, but there are still some rare cases where a person's appearance does not match that of a typical person of their race, so I think that race can be more accurately classified by one's family background.

4. I classify my race, [name your race], as people with an ancestral history from the [xxxxxxx] continent.

5. I agree--even though we classify each other by color or background, all humans are humans.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      Well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!!!
                      You've been warned.

Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                        You've been warned.

Warned about what??
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Warned about what??
                          Per USCHO Cafe handbook...

Anyone posting a Monty Python reference, shall have said response made to that reference. Please see... Spanish Inquisition, any and all Life of Brian references, etc.
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            Per USCHO Cafe handbook...

Anyone posting a Monty Python reference, shall have said response made to that reference. Please see... Spanish Inquisition, any and all Life of Brian references, etc.
                            ahh... Gotcha!!! so then ymmit is not the Messiah, but just a very naughty boy??

It just happens.

Comment

Kill Whitey.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X