X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Jay Carney is that you He said, if you like your current plan, you can keep it, PERIOD. That seems pretty simple, even a drunken BU grad should understand it

I don't mind arguments like yours, because they basically count on playing the American people for suckers. I doubt anybody seriously thought Obama meant your policy from your employer wouldn't change. It was more if you like to keep your policy at work you can, which is by and large true. The problem with knuckledragging is it makes stupid arguments like this and then expects the public to go along, and when they don't you guys get flabbergasted. Back during the whole Clinton impeachment debacle, his 75% approval ratings didn't come from a great love of the guy, it came from a sense of fairness, as in the righties were starting to look ridiculous in their opposition. Same thing here with Death Panels and other nonsense. Think of it this way - about the the only Republican who won last night was Chris Christie...a guy who signed on to expanding Medicare under the ACA!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I keep asking if the 27 - 35 healthy singles don't sign up, won't ACA be a financial ruin?

Fines (oops taxes) are not going to close the gap.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        While CNBC is a cheerleader of anti-ACA coverage, they did have a good article about how some employers are blaming 5-7% increases in premiums on Obamacare.....even though that's been the norm for the last decade! Pretty funny.
        Ummm.....don't companies change their policies all the time anyway, and had done so long before the ACA went into effect? I'm pretty sure I remember that happening every year for...oh, since I joined the work force 20 years ago...
        Is that rumbling sound I'm hearing due to the goalposts moving? I thought Obamacare was supposed to "bend the cost curve" (not allow premiums to keep increasing at historical rates) and to ensure that "people who like their plans can keep them" (instead of requiring insurers to change millions of current plans).

Tell me: did you think 41 actually meant, "no new taxes" or was that, too, merely metaphorical without any meaning?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Is that rumbling sound I'm hearing due to the goalposts moving? I thought Obamacare was supposed to "bend the cost curve" (not allow premiums to keep increasing at historical rates) and to ensure that "people who like their plans can keep them" (instead of requiring insurers to change millions of current plans).

Tell me: did you think 41 actually meant, "no new taxes" or was that, too, merely metaphorical without any meaning?
          It has bent the cost curve as we're gone from 9% a year increases to 4% in health care costs, so check on that one.

If you like your plan, you can keep it does not mean your plan won't change from time to time. It means you can keep getting your plan from the same place (presumably your employer). Not 100% correct obviously, but only an idiot would take that to mean that your plans offered to you by your employer would stay exactly the same from now until the end of time. Anybody who can't see that difference has larger issues.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I wonder what the definition of "is" is?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              An overwhelming re-election and outvoting the GOP in 5 out of the last 6 (and soon to be 6 out of 7) Presidential elections!

Comment

It has bent the cost curve as we're gone from 9% a year increases to 4% in health care costs, so check on that one.

If you like your plan, you can keep it does not mean your plan won't change from time to time. It means you can keep getting your plan from the same place (presumably your employer). Not 100% correct obviously, but only an idiot would take that to mean that your plans offered to you by your employer would stay exactly the same from now until the end of time. Anybody who can't see that difference has larger issues.
                If I was a person who had a bare bones, catastrophic plan, and I heard the President's speech, I would have assumed he was saying that this law will not change my ability to purchase a similar type plan. Obviously, plans change over time, but I think it's fair to assume the President was telling you this law would not change your ability to purchase that type of coverage. And that's simply not true.

Obviously, plans change slightly over the years, and insurance companies change those plans. But that's not what happened here.

The law effectively outlawed the type of plan I described.

The President's speech was truthful for people like me, with broader coverage. My plan isn't going to change, at least not any more than it might otherwise change on a year to year basis. But it wasn't truthful for a certain segment of society, or for certain types of plans, and what we're seeing now are some pretty pathetic efforts at spin control, imho.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

An overwhelming re-election and outvoting the GOP in 5 out of the last 6 (and soon to be 6 out of 7) Presidential elections!
                  so, what you are saying is "lying works." And that must justify it in your mind. Ends justify the means and all that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    If I was a person who had a bare bones, catastrophic plan, and I heard the President's speech, I would have assumed he was saying that this law will not change my ability to purchase a similar type plan. Obviously, plans change over time, but I think it's fair to assume the President was telling you this law would not change your ability to purchase that type of coverage. And that's simply not true.

Obviously, plans change slightly over the years, and insurance companies change those plans. But that's not what happened here.

The law effectively outlawed the type of plan I described.

The President's speech was truthful for people like me, with broader coverage. My plan isn't going to change, at least not any more than it might otherwise change on a year to year basis. But it wasn't truthful for a certain segment of society, or for certain types of plans, and what we're seeing now are some pretty pathetic efforts at spin control, imho.
                    This is in the beating a dead horse category. Obviously he should have clarified that plans categorized as "sub-standard" wouldn't be continued, or better yet should have broadcast that more as they did mention it in public reporting at the time. Live and learn I guess...

so, what you are saying is "lying works." And that must justify it in your mind. Ends justify the means and all that, right?
                    If that was the case we'd be talking about President Romney, no? The point is nobody listens to conservative sh !t anymore, which explains why its support is at record lows.

Comment

This is in the beating a dead horse category. Obviously he should have clarified that plans categorized as "sub-standard" wouldn't be continued, or better yet should have broadcast that more as they did mention it in public reporting at the time. Live and learn I guess...
                      What he should have said, "If I like your existing plan, you can keep it."
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Jesus I hate the ACA but even I acknowledge you have to give it a little time to see if it works. You know things normalize after a while sometimes if you just give them more than 2 seconds to do so...
                        And of course this is where politics really screws with things, and creates problems you wouldn't otherwise see in the real world.

It's pretty apparent the program wasn't ready to roll out on October 1. The Republicans are demanding that it get put on hold, but of course it's for political reasons, and not because the program isn't ready or needs additional time. The Democrats insist on an immediate rollout even though it isn't close to ready.

So what do you get? Basically, what we deserve for electing these clowns.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          What he should have said, "If I like your existing plan, you can keep it."
                          I wouldn't have worded it quite that way, but essentually yeah!

Comment

On the nose. And all he's got.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." In Clintonworld she was having sex, but he wasn't. What's that line in War Games where the teacher asks for an example of asexual reproduction and Mathew Broderick says: "your wife?"
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." In Clintonworld she was having sex, but he wasn't. What's that line in War Games where the teacher asks for an example of asexual reproduction and Mathew Broderick says: "your wife?"
                                Far better to have a Prez lie about a war that killed 5,000 American troops and cost a trillion dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X