This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Speaking as a website designer, and mind you I've been doing this for half of my life now... and also I formerly worked DoD in software test... HOW IN THE HELL COULD A SITE NEED 500 MILLION SLOC?!?! I'm sure a site like Facebook, with all its bells and whistles, doesn't even come CLOSE to that! Heck, operating systems don't even use 1/10 that much SLOC!

SLOC = Source Lines of Code

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Speaking as a website designer, and mind you I've been doing this for half of my life now... and also I formerly worked DoD in software test... HOW IN THE HELL COULD A SITE NEED 500 MILLION SLOC?!?! I'm sure a site like Facebook, with all its bells and whistles, doesn't even come CLOSE to that! Heck, operating systems don't even use 1/10 that much SLOC!

SLOC = Source Lines of Code
      They hired the same code monkeys that worked on Windoze and Office.

Comment

Did you read your link? It says Facebook is 20 million. Heck, the sum of all the lines of code on the Joint Strike Fighter is only 24 million (link) - that includes all navigation, control, encrypted/secure communications, video up/down links, weapons management, radar and other sensors processing, everything. And that's enough to manage all 3 variants (there are significant differences).

Anyone want to take a bet that the contractor(s) didn't get paid by the SLOC?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Well, people working retail or food service aren't likely to get Health Care anyway.
          well, they did in pre-PPACA days, you know. McDonalds offered a "mini-med" plan to its employees, for example, a plan that covered 30,000 people in their restaurants. Many other companies did as well (hence the hundreds of waivers in 2011). The geniuses who wrote PPACA didn't even know mini-med plans existed, and inadvertantly made them all illegal through their ignorance. Tens of thousands of people lost / are losing coverage that way.

You cannot listen to news about Obamacare without hearing about waivers. Obamacare waivers not only evidence a poorly conceived law, but the very need for a waiver transfers power to a bureaucracy where the individual, organization, or firm with the best lobbyists wins. What you may not know is that there are actually several types of waivers.

•MLR waiver for mini-med health insurance plans
          •Annual limit waiver
          •MLR waiver for States
          •State innovation waiver
          •ACO anti-trust waivers
          •Individual mandate waivers
          read more: http://heartland.org/policy-document...macare-waivers

In 2014, tens of thousands more people are losing existing coverage because of PPACA mandates. So people used to have perfectly viable coverage and PPACA requires that coverage to be cancelled because some other genius who looked up a few articles on the internet thinks he knows better than trained professionals with advanced degrees?
          Last edited by FreshFish; 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Did you read your link? It says Facebook is 20 million. Heck, the sum of all the lines of code on the Joint Strike Fighter is only 24 million (link) - that includes all navigation, control, encrypted/secure communications, video up/down links, weapons management, radar and other sensors processing, everything. And that's enough to manage all 3 variants (there are significant differences).

And we went to the moon and landed using a computer with less computational power of a cell phone. That's it! Obamacare is a conspiracy to keep us from returning to the moon!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              In 2014, tens of thousands more people are losing existing coverage because of PPACA mandates. So people used to have perfectly viable coverage and PPACA requires that coverage to be cancelled because some other genius who looked up a few articles on the internet thinks he knows better than trained professionals with advanced degrees?
              Fishbreath, once again you're busted. People are "losing" crappy health plans that don't meet minimum coverage requirements. For example if you had insurance that only covered you if you lost a body part, the ACA will inform your carrier that charging for such minimal coverage is not legal so stop offering the plan. Most likely these people will obtain more coverage for the same price or less out on the exchanges.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

And how is 20 million close to 500 million, especially when ti comes to code design? Heck, even if you counted the commenting lines, I bet you still couldn't get there.

As for how they were paid, the contract bid is usually based upon an estimated SLOC, but I'd bet you anything it was a cost-plus contract, the government requested all of these cockamamie requirements (I remember working on a mobile radar, we had some out in the field, one came apart because of turbulence from an emergency landing when all other landings had no issue, and the government came back demanding that the product stay together during said extreme event a requirement), and it went to 500 million SLOC.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  And we went to the moon and landed using a computer with less computational power of a cell phone. That's it! Obamacare is a conspiracy to keep us from returning to the moon!
                  Clarkson still sucks at trolling, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Fishbreath, once again you're busted. People are "losing" crappy health plans that don't meet minimum coverage requirements. For example if you had insurance that only covered you if you lost a body part, the ACA will inform your carrier that charging for such minimal coverage is not legal so stop offering the plan. Most likely these people will obtain more coverage for the same price or less out on the exchanges.
                    Grover, once again you're busted. Those employees that chose this coverage, and mind you they could have gone somewhere else still, were of the low risk variety, and that's all they wanted protection against, so that's all they paid for. Also, the cost of your exchange plans are a heck of a lot more than they were paying previously. Here, I'll even give you numbers.

Comment

Grover, once again you're busted. Those employees that chose this coverage, and mind you they could have gone somewhere else still, were of the low risk variety, and that's all they wanted protection against, so that's all they paid for. Also, the cost of your exchange plans are a heck of a lot more than they were paying previously. Here, I'll even give you numbers.

Wrong Flaggy. You may say "oh, just give me insurance that covers if I get hit by a bus". Problem is, if you don't get hit by a bus but are seriously injured in another way, say you've been getting weird with kitchen utensils again, and don't have insurance coverage unless you get hit by a bus, guess who pays for that? The rest of us. That's why these plans aren't allowed to continue. The concept of "shared risk" seems to be lost on you, much like the concept of "the guy leading in every independent poll on election eve will most likely win the election" was last November.

PS - Does your website include the subsidies or did you conveniently leave that part out?
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

In case we all forgot here is the Republican Health Care plan proposed to Congress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Republicans speak out

"This is a huge undertaking and there are going to be glitches" -- Joe Barton (R-TX)
                          "Any time there is something new, there is going to be glitches" -- Tim Murphy (R-PA)
                          "People are trying to play politics with...health by encouraging people not to enroll" -- Phil Gingrey (R-GA)

Glad they understand.

Comment

And how is 20 million close to 500 million, especially when ti comes to code design? Heck, even if you counted the commenting lines, I bet you still couldn't get there.
                            No, no - I was agreeing with you, that Facebook wasn't anywhere close to 500M. Just pointing out that the numbers were already documented in the article, so speculative statements ("I'm sure a site like Faceboook..." from your original post) weren't necessary since we already had the actual data.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Wrong Flaggy. You may say "oh, just give me insurance that covers if I get hit by a bus". Problem is, if you don't get hit by a bus but are seriously injured in another way, say you've been getting weird with kitchen utensils again, and don't have insurance coverage unless you get hit by a bus, guess who pays for that? The rest of us. That's why these plans aren't allowed to continue. The concept of "shared risk" seems to be lost on you, much like the concept of "the guy leading in every independent poll on election eve will most likely win the election" was last November.

PS - Does your website include the subsidies or did you conveniently leave that part out?
                              Here is the thing about insurance that I think people forget. And that's the impact that the existence of insurance has on whether the product/service is purchased. I just raise this from my own experience.

About 10 years ago we had a hail storm that moved through the town where I lived. I remember that all the insurance companies sent teams of people to town to inspect property, primarily the roofs of homes, and automobiles.

My roof was inspected, and it was determined that there really wasn't enough damage to justify a claim. In other words, the insurance company wasn't going to write me a check, and I in turn wasn't going to pay a roofing company to come out and put new shingles on my roof. Now, if the insurance company had paid, I would have certainly put the new roof on. But it didn't, and the old roof remained.

I don't have dental insurance. I pay for everything out of my own pocket. That fact has impacted what procedures I have had performed.

It's one thing to just say everyone should be insured so that we don't have to listen to the heartbreaking sob story of some old lady who died from a preventable disease due to the lack of health insurance/care. But it is an economic fact that the more insurance that exists, the more demand/use of the insured services will occur (think automatic windshield replacement for cracked windshields). That increased demand can only increase costs.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Clarkson still sucks at trolling, too.
                                Sometimes you need to inject (attempted) humor when the temperature in the room gets too hot.

And I don't think we're a 12th place team, just as I don't think you're a 1st place team.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X