This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    because of the number of doctors who decided to retire rather than deal wtih it, probably.
    "Probably?" For an actuary, your ability to determine odds appears to be fairly bad. I pray you don't work for any of my insurers.

Comment

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      How is a doctor shortage the fault of the ACA? What it sounds like on here is people who formerly didn't worry about it because they had insurance while others did not (and who impliedly did not deserve care otherwise they would have had it already) are now ****ed off because more people have insurance and access to their previously exclusive medical care.

Sorry, but the solution to a shortage of doctors isn't to artificially restrict the availability to them. It's to curtail the AMA's power to restrict medical licenses. Encouraging more medical schools (which, unlike law schools, are typically money losers for universities) would be helpful too.
      You can give out M.D.s until you're blue in the face, but unless those graduates are willing to actually set up practices in this country, you haven't actually made any progress. We've already seen testimonials from doctors that post on this forum about how the need for more administration to ensure regulation compliance is one of the primary drivers of cost. Not to mention, your ilk chasing them around in order to find cause for a lawsuit makes for even higher costs, but that's another story for another day. These practitioners are either stopping to practice or refusing new patients because the cost associated with taking them on, when you factor in the aforementioned expenses, is too high to keep the customer without the customer going to either another practitioner or the subsidized public health system (at least NYS has this, I don't know about other states).

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Just switched this year and had zero problems doing so (I changed insurance and networks). I also live in the only state where universal care is up and running so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Health care needs to evolve in several ways. 1) If there's a need for a service, more professionals will drift towards that service, or take on more of a workload, in an effort to increase earnings. The concept is simple - if your town supports two gas stations, and one closes because the owner retires, you can now open one up across the street and make $$$ without having to charge people more than the going rate for a gallon of gas. You're filling hole in the supply of the product. 2) People need not get every aspect of medical care from a primary or the ER. In fact they may be better off finding more convenient options, which benefits everyone.
        During the first 3-5 years of Massachusetts' PPACA, what was the turnover on the number of available practitioners? Just a rough guess, and if you want to adjust for expected retirement/startup, so be it. How did administrative costs for practitioners in your state change, and what did it do to the cost of the care itself?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          During the first 3-5 years of Massachusetts' PPACA, what was the turnover on the number of available practitioners? Just a rough guess, and if you want to adjust for expected retirement/startup, so be it. How did administrative costs for practitioners in your state change, and what did it do to the cost of the care itself?
          Flaggy, I don't take orders unless you'll willing to pay for it and make sure your request stays rated "G". Find your own info.

What I can tell you is 1) Mass has the highest # of insured people, 2) the state has implemented the exchanges, 3) unemployment is lower than the national average, and 4) the state has not been bankrupted in the process.

Points #3 and #4 are the ones that always get the righties, as it blows their mind that an actual example has been implemented successfully.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Flaggy, I don't take orders unless you'll willing to pay for it and make sure your request stays rated "G". Find your own info.

What I can tell you is 1) Mass has the highest # of insured people, 2) the state has implemented the exchanges, 3) unemployment is lower than the national average, and 4) the state has not been bankrupted in the process.

Points #3 and #4 are the ones that always get the righties, as it blows their mind that an actual example has been implemented successfully.
            It may not be bankrupted, but it's running some serious deficits. And yes, I'm well aware of your state's balanced budget requirement, but projected != actual. Also, I don't trust anything anymore with regards to unemployment, especially seeing as how the definition of those "in the work force" has changed greatly since the crash of 2008. I bet it's higher than you'd think, despite the fact your spin on unemployment was a comparative one with respect to the national average.

I'm not surprised you don't want to provide the info, as there's a chance my points could very well be proved.

Comment

How are your taxes? Is the moniker "Taxachusetts" a misnomer?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                You can give out M.D.s until you're blue in the face, but unless those graduates are willing to actually set up practices in this country, you haven't actually made any progress. We've already seen testimonials from doctors that post on this forum about how the need for more administration to ensure regulation compliance is one of the primary drivers of cost. Not to mention, your ilk chasing them around in order to find cause for a lawsuit makes for even higher costs, but that's another story for another day. These practitioners are either stopping to practice or refusing new patients because the cost associated with taking them on, when you factor in the aforementioned expenses, is too high to keep the customer without the customer going to either another practitioner or the subsidized public health system (at least NYS has this, I don't know about other states).
                Much of that is the gist of this story from CNN Money.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/11/news...ors/index.html
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  How are your taxes? Is the moniker "Taxachusetts" a misnomer?
                  Maybe we should all just address Rover as Candide....after all, they both live in the best possible worlds, no?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

http://www.leagueofruralvoters.org/r...uthdakota.html

Just one of many pre-ACA articles discussing the upcoming shortage of doctors due to policy decisions made in the 80's and 90's. But please, do keep trying to pin it on the ACA.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      http://www.leagueofruralvoters.org/r...uthdakota.html

Just one of many pre-ACA articles discussing the upcoming shortage of doctors due to policy decisions made in the 80's and 90's. But please, do keep trying to pin it on the ACA.
                      If anything, you could pin the shortage on policy decisions made in the 60's (medicare/medicaid). As we all know, though, you lose a game of Jenga because of a block that someone else pulled out.

Comment

Perhaps it is time for impeachment? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...509555268.html

Although, you could probably sue if you were an employee of the IRS.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Perhaps it is time for impeachment? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...509555268.html

Although, you could probably sue if you were an employee of the IRS.
                          No, impeachment isn't going to happen. Censure might, but that would be highly unlikely. Nobody in Congress wants to side with the enforcement of what could be considered a regulatory tax.

I don't know who could or would sue in order to get this section of the law enforced. My only bet would be a governor or treasurer of a state whose funds were in jeopardy due to some projected value of tax revenue not arriving into its coffers that were based upon the expected purchase of more insurance contracts. Even then, it would be political suicide in almost any state outside of Hawaii.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            No, impeachment isn't going to happen. Censure might, but that would be highly unlikely. Nobody in Congress wants to side with the enforcement of what could be considered a regulatory tax.

I don't know who could or would sue in order to get this section of the law enforced. My only bet would be a governor or treasurer of a state whose funds were in jeopardy due to some projected value of tax revenue not arriving into its coffers that were based upon the expected purchase of more insurance contracts. Even then, it would be political suicide in almost any state outside of Hawaii.

It seems to me that the best way to avoid a potential Constitutional crisis here would be for a few thoughtful Democrats in the Senate merely to ask that a law be passed suspending the employer mandate for one year.

I know someone who knows a good Democrat Senator, I'll try to pass the word along.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              It seems to me that the best way to avoid a potential Constitutional crisis here would be for a few thoughtful Democrats in the Senate merely to ask that a law be passed suspending the employer mandate for one year.

I know someone who knows a good Democrat Senator, I'll try to pass the word along.
                              Do you similarly ask your state legislature for similar waivers every time a cop uses his discretion to issue a warning rather than a ticket? Or lets people going only 5 over go without pulling them over?

Otherwise, it sounds like you don't mind some executive discretion, and only care about this because it makes the other side look bad.

Comment

The "smokers' penalty" won't be implemented due to software problems.

Oops.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X