X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...trol-abortion/

For those with inherent difficulty connecting these dots.
    Birth control at the "exclusive cost of the supplier", which BTW will raise the price of everything else they sell, reminds me of the NCAA's mandate of full face shields or cages on hockey helmets. We're going to see EVEN MORE problems, more "accidental pregnancies", all because some broad can't keep her legs shut as she now feels infallible.

Comment

Looks like Obamacare is reducing premiums after all:

http://wonkwire.rollcall.com/2013/06...rket-premiums/

Thoughts?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post

Thoughts?
        For some, yes. For others, no. We will have to wait for full implementation to guage the law's effect.

Has a central control made anything better?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

Thoughts?
          Housing prices in Buffalo went up during the housing crash of 2007. What's your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Has a central control made anything better?
            I would say the banking system being rescued during the Great Depression might be a good historical example. I'll now sit back and read the requisite head explosions from some of our righty friends.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I would say the banking system being rescued during the Great Depression might be a good historical example. I'll now sit back and read the requisite head explosions from some of our righty friends.
              Someone forgot about the crash of 1937. So unless you think the government is trying to start World War III in order to get a better economy, I'd stop taking history out of context.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Someone forgot about the crash of 1937. So unless you think the government is trying to start World War III in order to get a better economy, I'd stop taking history out of context.
                Heh, you guys are like Pavlov's dogs.

Comment

Heh, you guys are like Pavlov's dogs.
                  Who's Pavlov? Some new NPR host or something?

Comment

Thoughts?
                    A more accurate story would be that Obama'care' has introduced more annual volatility into health insurance premiums, so that in years in which claims are lower than anticipated, some policyholders will receive refund checks, while in the year following the year in which claims are higher than anticipated, premiums will spike more than they otherwise would have.

We discussed this issue at length before: a sensible law would have used something like a five-year rolling average (or even a three-year rolling average) of claims-to-premium ratios to smooth out annual volatility (or a ratio of five-year rolling average of claims over a five-year rolling average of premiums, if you prefer).

You can't in all seriousness ask us to look at one year's data and somehow try to convince us that it's a "trend." Even in your most rabid cheerleader costume, you generally have more sense than that!
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      A more accurate story would be that Obama'care' has introduced more annual volatility into health insurance premiums, so that in years in which claims are lower than anticipated, some policyholders will receive refund checks, while in the year following the year in which claims are higher than anticipated, premiums will spike more than they otherwise would have.

We discussed this issue at length before: a sensible law would have used something like a five-year rolling average (or even a three-year rolling average) of claims-to-premium ratios to smooth out annual volatility (or a ratio of five-year rolling average of claims over a five-year rolling average of premiums, if you prefer).

You can't in all seriousness ask us to look at one year's data and somehow try to convince us that it's a "trend." Even in your most rabid cheerleader costume, you generally have more sense than that!
                      Refund checks? That doesn't sound right. Wouldn't they hang onto the money as a rainy day for when claims go high?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Refund checks? That doesn't sound right. Wouldn't they hang onto the money as a rainy day for when claims go high?

That is now against the law.

Leaving out the qualifiers, the law mandates that if claims are less than 80% of premiums in any one year, then refunds need to be sent out so that claims are at least 80% of premiums for that year. On a rolling-average basis, that is actually fairly reasonable, as market competition already drives premiums to that level anyway. Before the law, companies were always shopping their group health insurance when it came up for renewal for exactly that reason.

However, if claims exceed 100% of premiums in any one year, then companies now have no choice but to eat the loss, which is really stupid: revenue is capped but expenses are not capped. They have no recourse at all. Another reason why a rolling-average calculation makes sense.

Some of these ideas are so basic, you have to wonder just who actually wrote the law and what could they possibly have been thinking. It really does look like a college sophomore did a few internet searches and cut and pasted stuff together without any consistency or context!

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Not saying its a trend but we've all seen the hyperbole about how premiums were going up 10000% compounded daily and the like, so its nice to inject some reality into the discussion.

As I've said repeatedly, I can live with any adjustment that would strengthen the law (for example, if you wanted to enact tort reform and get rid of medical devices tax). That's problematic when one party refuses to acknowledge its existence except to hold three dozen meaningless repeal votes on it.

Comment

Not saying its a trend but we've all seen the hyperbole about how premiums were going up 10000% compounded daily and the like, so its nice to inject some reality into the discussion.

As I've said repeatedly, I can live with any adjustment that would strengthen the law (for example, if you wanted to enact tort reform and get rid of medical devices tax). That's problematic when one party refuses to acknowledge its existence except to hold three dozen meaningless repeal votes on it.
                            Except the OTHER party steamrolled the passage. When you get 0 votes of the opposition, perhaps it is time to rethink things. However, the Dems were heady with power (just as the GOP was) and decided that if they had the keys, the car was going where they wanted to go, and never mind the gang in the back.

Now, perhaps in reflection, the direction taken was not the best, but it is tough to admit you made a mistake.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              it is tough to admit you made a mistake.
                              yeah, we can "adjust" the law so that none of the original remains, that's just fine and dandy. but no way can we repeal it.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Except the OTHER party steamrolled the passage. When you get 0 votes of the opposition, perhaps it is time to rethink things.
                                Tell you what, I'll be ok repealing Obamacare when Wisconsin, Kansas, Florida, et al repeal everything they passed on party line votes in the last 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X