This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Where is the money supposed to come from to finance the subsidies for insurance that costs 10 times that much!
    Ask your pal Paul Ryan. Remember how he include Obamacare savings in his budget.

Ah, conservatives. Sometimes you make it too easy...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Not sure if this is too "mathy" for our conservative friends, but from your own article: $2.50 a week x 52 weeks is $130 bucks, and you have insurance. Fine is $95 bucks...and you have no insurance. So.....you're saving a whopping $35 bucks by not having insurance? Sounds like Popeye's is either hiring really stupid people, or they need to hold a quick info session with their employees.
      Considering emergency rooms will still accept walk-ins, and I would venture a guess that many of these people are already doing that as it is, the only thing that has changed is an extra tax on the workers.

Plus, the plan has high deductibles, so even though you're paying for insurance, you're still paying out of pocket for most of the coverage you'd receive anyway. I know you like to attack people on their math skills, but why don't you try the math on that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Considering emergency rooms will still accept walk-ins, and I would venture a guess that many of these people are already doing that as it is, the only thing that has changed is an extra tax on the workers.

Plus, the plan has high deductibles, so even though you're paying for insurance, you're still paying out of pocket for most of the coverage you'd receive anyway.
        Yes you would, but if something catastrophic happened there'd be some coverage. For 35 bucks a year, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'd also venture to guess, while not being familiar with the plan Popeye's offers its workers, is that some routine checkups are covered, hence lessening the need to visit the ER if problems can be caught beforehand. I'm wondering if these same people get their car tuned up and oil changed regularly, because its the same concept.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Yes you would, but if something catastrophic happened there'd be some coverage. For 35 bucks a year, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'd also venture to guess, while not being familiar with the plan Popeye's offers its workers, is that some routine checkups are covered, hence lessening the need to visit the ER if problems can be caught beforehand. I'm wondering if these same people get their car tuned up and oil changed regularly, because its the same concept.
          It was probably some of the other loony left I know that made the argument (i.e. not you), but one thing I find funny is that certain people think that these people can't afford to get an identification card in order to vote, but somehow they can afford to pay for a health plan or even a tax for it. Double standard, anyone?

Comment

It was probably some of the other loony left I know that made the argument (i.e. not you), but one thing I find funny is that certain people think that these people can't afford to get an identification card in order to vote, but somehow they can afford to pay for a health plan or even a tax for it. Double standard, anyone?
            Poll taxes are unconstitutional. It's not that they can't afford them, but that you cannot force someone to pay to vote. If you require Id, there had better be a free option available.

The rest of the arguement is simply that as a solution, it's worse than the problem it's meant to solve. You discourage more legitimate voters than you prevent from committing fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Poll taxes are unconstitutional. It's not that they can't afford them, but that you cannot force someone to pay to vote. If you require Id, there had better be a free option available.

The rest of the arguement is simply that as a solution, it's worse than the problem it's meant to solve. You discourage more legitimate voters than you prevent from committing fraud.
              There can be a free option available; the loony went on to complain that waiting in line meant the difference between being able to buy something and not. Yet, they're OK with this...

Comment

There can be a free option available; the loony went on to complain that waiting in line meant the difference between being able to buy something and not. Yet, they're OK with this...
                I think this is a little simplistic. For example, Pennsylvania Republicans swore up and down that the voter ID law they passed would be no problem because the state was giving out free ID's. Sounds good, right? Problem was 1) they enacted the law a few months before election season, and 2) the DMV could not handle the volume of people trying to get the free ID's. Unlike Rhode Island, which did something similar but made it effective for the following election, a lot of these places enacted a blatant attempt to disenfranchise voters they didn't want voting.

So, while the only loony lefty I can speak for is myself, I can tell you I have no problem with voter ID's. My problem resides in "oh by the way, this goes into effect next month and if you can't get the proper ID by then too f'in bad".

Comment

I think this is a little simplistic. For example, Pennsylvania Republicans swore up and down that the voter ID law they passed would be no problem because the state was giving out free ID's. Sounds good, right? Problem was 1) they enacted the law a few months before election season, and 2) the DMV could not handle the volume of people trying to get the free ID's. Unlike Rhode Island, which did something similar but made it effective for the following election, a lot of these places enacted a blatant attempt to disenfranchise voters they didn't want voting.

So, while the only loony lefty I can speak for is myself, I can tell you I have no problem with voter ID's. My problem resides in "oh by the way, this goes into effect next month and if you can't get the proper ID by then too f'in bad".
                  It's not the first time this sort of thing has ever happened. Look at every gun law tried within the last couple of months, especially the ones from my state.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that while the ID's were free, they required several forms of identification to get one. And those IDs were not free.
                    Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
                      Not to mention the fact that while the ID's were free, they required several forms of identification to get one. And those IDs were not free.
                      A birth certificate isn't free? A social security card isn't free?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I think we're talking more like Arnold in the first Terminator...beamed down, nekked. Therefore, no ID of any sort and no place to keep it.
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

TANSTAAFL!!

The cost of the birth certificate is probably buried somewhere in the bill. I know the copies of my Mom's death certificate were part of the funeral bill. Your Social Security Card is all part of the General Fund.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I can tell you I have no problem with voter ID's. My problem resides in "oh by the way, this goes into effect next month and if you can't get the proper ID by then too f'in bad".
                            wow, that's exactly what I was saying last fall. we agreed on something. wow.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's the other [constitutional amendment you'd propose]?
                              if I were a different kind of person, I'd be tempted to tell you to take it to the SCOTUS thread.

If I could enact one constitutional amendment, it would be the following on compensation for legislators for time spent serving in the legislature:
                              > no legislator shall be eligible for a Federal defined benefit pension.
                              > legislators' compensation shall be set as follows:
                              -- upon being elected, the legislator shall present his tax return to document his earned income.
                              -- his compensation for service in the legislature while it is in session will be determined on a pro-rata basis based on the income declared on the tax return, and paid on a per-diem basis.

That's it.

The first bullet allows 401(c)(3) or 401(k) or what have you, just no lifetime pension on someone else's dime without contributing any of your own money first.

The second bullet makes it economically neutral to you whether Congress is in session or not. If you are a real successful, well-organized person, you might be drawn to Congress and figure you can get a lot done in a short period of time so that you can then get back to work. Everyone would know that service in the legislature is comparable to jury duty; it's a responsibility to others, not a lifetime career for your own aggrandizement.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

They aren't giving up: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...x-will-test-c/

However, looking at the Constitution, they have a point; it's just a question of where it originated: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Although, perhaps there's a double jeopardy issue?
                                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X