X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Did you ever watch "The Case of the Purloined Policies" from the Mathnet segment of Square One TV? Although it's not an exact case, a policy is taken out for a fake vehicle, and a couple days later the "vehicle" is conveniently reported stolen, in order to collect money.
    No, because when Mr. Glitch came on during Mathman I changed the channel.

One time Mr. Glitch just went ahead and ate Mathman right at the start. "Beware the evil Mr. Glitch. He will...*nom nom nom*...eat you." GAME OVER. That was pure evil on the part of the producers.

/though he deserved it for wearing a Weasels helmet
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      But that's the deal the insurers struck with the Obama administration over the legislation. In order for them to support coverage for the previously uninsurable, they demanded that a requirement be but in there to get the younger healthy people added to the pool. If that doesn't cancel out as you say, they shouldn't have agreed to it then, right?
      Why not? They never promised not to raise rates - it was Obama's accountants who guessed that insurers wouldn't have to raise their rates. New captive customer base + increased premiums across the board = win for insurance companies. If I were an insurance exec, I'd have taken that deal every day and twice on Sundays.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        No, because when Mr. Glitch came on during Mathman I changed the channel.

One time Mr. Glitch just went ahead and ate Mathman right at the start. "Beware the evil Mr. Glitch. He will...*nom nom nom*...eat you." GAME OVER. That was pure evil on the part of the producers.

/though he deserved it for wearing a Weasels helmet
        I don't think there was a Mathman episode that time around.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Why not? They never promised not to raise rates - it was Obama's accountants who guessed that insurers wouldn't have to raise their rates. New captive customer base + increased premiums across the board = win for insurance companies. If I were an insurance exec, I'd have taken that deal every day and twice on Sundays.
          Or perhaps that was the plan all along. Price the poor out so they all die.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Or perhaps that was the plan all along. Price the poor out so they all die.
            It's like the song says,

Tax the rich.
            Disease the poor.
            'Til there are no poor no more.

Oh, wait.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              The law says you can buy insurance at any time and pre-existing conditions cannot be used as a reason to deny you coverage. The law does NOT say that coverage must be offered retroactively. Coverage is only offered on a go-forward basis.
              Which is completely fair. As I think you said, you can't break your arm and then get insurance and then go in for treatment. In my career employers tended to have you sign up at least two months before the insurance actually kicked in. I think that's reasonable. A big point of this law is personal responsibility. Part of that responsibility is signing up ahead of time for insurance which shouldn't be that difficult for functioning human beings.

Lynah, insurance companies as part of taking the deal have to live within certain parameters. You can't say "thanks for the new clients" then jack up rates 500% even though the costs haven't gone up comparably. Anybody who tries that needs to be subject to an investigation.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Lynah, insurance companies as part of taking the deal have to live within certain parameters. You can't say "thanks for the new clients" then jack up rates 500% even though the costs haven't gone up comparably. Anybody who tries that needs to be subject to an investigation.
                Yeah, we can't have private companies going around pricing their products willy-nilly, when we could spend additional money having government bureaucrats do it for them...
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Yeah, we can't have private companies going around pricing their products willy-nilly, when we could spend additional money having government bureaucrats do it for them...
                  Yeah, we should maintain the old status quo with private companies pricing their products willy-nilly for the sole purpose of excluding millions from their selective market.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Having private companies controlling something with nearly completely inelastic demand is asking for all sorts of market failures.

Comment

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      Yeah, we should maintain the old status quo with private companies pricing their products willy-nilly for the sole purpose of excluding millions from their selective market.
                      Yeah, we should be forced to pay for the unhealthy choices of others...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Having private companies controlling something with nearly completely inelastic demand is asking for all sorts of market failures.
                        The market fails because of gas prices. Got it.

Comment

Health insurers in most states (perhaps all) have to submit their annual insurance premium rates to state insurance regulatory boards. Prices will not change "willy-nilly". As part of that review, they have to be able to justify or explain their rate changes to that board in order to get the new rates approved. Since insurance is now a required product, do you think that state overview will slacken or tighten going forward?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            So in your view price gouging, predatory lending, Ponzi schemes, etc, should all be legal as long as you can get away with it? Nice...
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Health insurers in most states (perhaps all) have to submit their annual insurance premium rates to state insurance regulatory boards. Prices will not change "willy-nilly". As part of that review, they have to be able to justify or explain their rate changes to that board in order to get the new rates approved. Since insurance is now a required product, do you think that state overview will slacken or tighten going forward?
                              The answer is not always obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                The market fails because of gas prices. Got it.
                                Because driving a humvee is exactly the same as getting chemo. Got it.

Comment

Working...
                                X