This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

For the record, I work for a Dow 30 company that self-insures as well. We are offered three plans:
    PPO
    High deductible
    Really high deductible

I've been on the PPO for as long as I've been there (and pretty much all my life with the same clinic and insurance company - I've been EXTREMELY fortunate).

This year I'm probably switching to the high deductible because of the "disincentives" they've put on the PPO.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Yeah, in '08. Not in '12. And he NEVER ran on JOBS JOBS JOBS. Still waiting for Boner's JOBS JOBS JOBS legislation. The only thing I know for sure is there will be an abortion rider somewhere in the bill.
      There is legislation for JOBS JOBS JOBS. They're with the IRS, NSA, and many other government agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        For the record, I work for a Dow 30 company that self-insures as well. We are offered three plans:
        PPO
        High deductible
        Really high deductible

I've been on the PPO for as long as I've been there (and pretty much all my life with the same clinic and insurance company - I've been EXTREMELY fortunate).

This year I'm probably switching to the high deductible because of the "disincentives" they've put on the PPO.
        Mine is a DOW 30 as well, we have no options. Only plan offered for a family is $3K deductible, $8K out of pocket max (I think those are halved for an individual). Only thing that doesnt get paid out of pocket and count towards deductible is 1 annual checkup. Company gives $1K in an FSA provided we take health screening, and beginning next year any health issues we had this year must be improved upon in order to keep getting the FSA $.

Comment

Wow. That's a load of crap.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            PPO
            High deductible
            Really high deductible

So does that mean you're "transitioning"?

Seriously, I turned down an out-of-state job because the employer didn't have a health plan and I couldn't find out how much I would have to pay for insurance. Fortunately, my wife's company will still be offering family coverage next year. It's a high-deductible plan, which makes it tough paying for my diabetes supplies and meds.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Heh, funny. Dianne Barrette was paraded around right wing media as a victim of Obamacare. Turns out she ended up with a better deal after all. I wonder if the right wing media will update everyone?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ssing-disguise

Upon further inspection, the story of this “Obamacare victim” was far different from what those initial interviews suggested. Barrette had an awful insurance plan that left her one serious ailment away from bankruptcy. The Affordable Care Act offered an upgrade at a discount – she’s eligible for a subsidy under the law. Jonathan Cohn did some additional research, discovered that Barrette could sign up for a vastly better plan than she has now, and it’d cost her between $50 to $150 more per month, depending on how much coverage she was prepared to buy. Cohn asked Barrette directly if this would appeal to her, given her personal circumstances.

Here was her response: “I would jump at it,” she said.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Heh, funny. Dianne Barrette was paraded around right wing media as a victim of Obamacare. Turns out she ended up with a better deal after all. I wonder if the right wing media will update everyone?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...ssing-disguise
                The Affordable Care Act offered an upgrade at a discount – she’s eligible for a subsidy under the law.
                It's not a discounted plan. It's a plan that receives an annual subsidy while requiring monthly payments greater than her current plan. What's happening is that the PPACA is now shifting the payment of her insurance premiums from Dianne Barrette to society at large. And that's assuming that she can handle the increased monthly premiums without going bankrupt prior to receiving her tax subsidy in April 2015.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  It's not a discounted plan. It's a plan that receives an annual subsidy while requiring monthly payments greater than her current plan. What's happening is that the PPACA is now shifting the payment of her insurance premiums from Dianne Barrette to society at large.

Society at large will be paying her bills anyway if she's bankrupt but still needs medical care. Hospitals can't refuse her treatment, but somebody has to pay for that. That someone will be us, and I'd rather have her treated ahead of time.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Two of my friends work at the same small company. They just got word their insurance premium is doubling this year because of Obamacare, from an already high $1500 per month to $3000 per month. They both have kids, which might explain why they're being hit this hard. The sad thing is that the benefits are being cut (care network contraction) even while the premium is going up. It's a lose-lose situation.
                    There are no real changes this year at my work. Our health care plan was already gutted out over the last two years in anticipation of Obamacare taxes, so we were preemptively disenfranchised from having decent insurance because of Obamacare. By the way, how was Medicaid not always doing the job that Obamacare spent all these $billions$ failing so badly to address? It was here all along without bankrupting everyone inventing some new bureaucracy. That will probably be my last best option to get coverage for next year.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Two of my friends work at the same small company. They just got word their insurance premium is doubling this year because of Obamacare, from an already high $1500 per month to $3000 per month. They both have kids, which might explain why they're being hit this hard. The sad thing is that the benefits are being cut (care network contraction) even while the premium is going up. It's a lose-lose situation.
                      There are no real changes this year at my work. Our health care plan was already gutted out over the last two years in anticipation of Obamacare taxes, so we were preemptively disenfranchised from having decent insurance because of Obamacare. By the way, how was Medicaid not always doing the job that Obamacare spent all these $billions$ failing so badly to address? It was here all along without bankrupting everyone inventing some new bureaucracy. That will probably be my last best option to get coverage for next year.
                      This reads like a fw:fw:fw:email.

How small is the small company? Who is the insurer? What do they make? 3000/month is 36000/year. Unless they're making well into the six figures, they would be eligible to go to the exchanges since their employer provided coverage costs more than 9% of their income.

As far as your Medicaid question, it doesn't cover nearly the amount of people you are assuming it covers. The ACA was going to fix that by giving the states more money to cover more people, but many GOP governors turned it down in a case of biting off their noses to spite their faces.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        It's not a discounted plan. It's a plan that receives an annual subsidy while requiring monthly payments greater than her current plan. What's happening is that the PPACA is now shifting the payment of her insurance premiums from Dianne Barrette to society at large. And that's assuming that she can handle the increased monthly premiums without going bankrupt prior to receiving her tax subsidy in April 2015.
                        You do realize you get the option to have the credits applied to your upfront premiums under most circumstances, right? Most people will not need to wait until April 2015 to be reimbursed.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          This reads like a fw:fw:fw:email.

How small is the small company? Who is the insurer? What do they make? 3000/month is 36000/year. Unless they're making well into the six figures, they would be eligible to go to the exchanges since their employer provided coverage costs more than 9% of their income.

As far as your Medicaid question, it doesn't cover nearly the amount of people you are assuming it covers. The ACA was going to fix that by giving the states more money to cover more people, but many GOP governors turned it down in a case of biting off their noses to spite their faces.
                          I think you nailed it! Easy download and e-mail from the Drudge site or something like that.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

You do realize you get the option to have the credits applied to your upfront premiums under most circumstances, right? Most people will not need to wait until April 2015 to be reimbursed.
                            I did not know that, but it doesn't really make things much better. Self reliance in this nation is a dying notion and Obamacare just takes us yet another step down that road.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I did not know that, but it doesn't really make things much better. Self reliance in this nation is a dying notion and Obamacare just takes us yet another step down that road.
                              Self reliance has been going down since man first formed a tribe. It's a feature, not a bug.

Unless you built that arena to watch the hockey game while drinking the beer you brewed and eating the burger from the cow you personally butchered.

Comment

Self reliance has been going down since man first formed a tribe. It's a feature, not a bug.

Unless you built that arena to watch the hockey game while drinking the beer you brewed and eating the burger from the cow you personally butchered.
                                I pay for those services directly. You don't pay for my steaks of beers.

Comment

Working...
                                X