X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    Of course if you don't pay for the hotel room you can't stay there, but if you don't pay for health insurance you still get healthcare provided on the backs of everyone who does pay.
    Then we should re-examine healthcare as being "a right" afforded to people. IMO, a personal right should not require something of someone else in order to exercise it.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It appears some people are still tryng to justify the theory to support the intention, while others are describing the effects and results of the actual law.

Where I see the biggest problem coming is in the destruction of the doctor-patient relationship. While subtler, it also appears to have been disguised deliberate intent.

Pre-PPACA, the theory was that the doctor was in charge of how "his/her" patients were treated: the personal physician was aware of all the medical considerations and had a sense of responsibility for how "his/her" patients fared.

One of the more pernicious effects (no matter what the "theory" says, I'm talking practical reality here) is the transformation of the physician from "boss" to "employee." I've seen first-hand what happens when a practitioner moves from private practice to the state payroll, and this process will only become more and more widespread.

No one person is responsible. The patient data is recorded in the chart, and whoever happens to be on duty at the time picks up the chart, reads it, and handles the situation until the end of his/her shift, after which the responsibility transfers over to whomever is next on the schedule. The whole concept of "my" doctor or "my" patients is tossed aside. We can't afford it any more. All must sacrifice to support the greater good.

DrD can probably speak more eloquently than me about how fundamentally transformative this is, and not at all for the better. There are abundant anecdotal stories from Britain about a patient who was ready for surgery at the end of the day who, because the preceding surgery ran long, had to wait for the next day because it was the end of shift and everyone just packed up and left.

This is a separate issue from a doctor shortage, which people can argue theory vs practicality elsewhere. It's the difference between treating "my" patients and making sure they are receiving all the care they need, and "okay, who's next on the list today? and I hope it doesn't take too long because I really have to get out of here by 5 today."

It's the difference between knowing the person, and managing the symptoms. All you blusterers are not going to like it, but by then it will be too late, and no one will take any pleasure in being right.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        Of course if you don't pay for the hotel room you can't stay there, but if you don't pay for health insurance you still get healthcare provided on the backs of everyone who does pay.
        You already do.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        You choose whether or not to make use of a hotel at all. We're now mandated to purchase insurance. In the Land of the Free we're compelled to make a purchase regardless of whether or not we want the product.
        I suppose when I go to the Frozen Four I can sleep outside the Wells Fargo Center. I'm sure the locals won't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          You already do.

I suppose when I go to the Frozen Four I can sleep outside the Wells Fargo Center. I'm sure the locals won't mind.
          If you don't have the resources for a hotel room, should you really be traveling to Philly and attending the Frozen Four in the first place? Your question is baseless on its face.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            If you don't have the resources for a hotel room, should you really be traveling to Philly and attending the Frozen Four in the first place? Your question is baseless on its face.
            It's an example. Try not being so literal.

Comment

The horror. The horror.

As we try to judge the short-term winners and losers from the Affordable Care Act, you can’t deny that it’s terrible to find out that your insurance plan has been cancelled. It happened all the time before Obamacare when it was a much worse fate, as there was a chance that no insurance might cover you again because of a pre-existing condition.

Still getting that cancellation letter can be disturbing. But what should be more even disturbing is discovering the insurance you were paying for is junk.

This week Diane Barrette was briefly the poster woman for the estimated 3% of America in the private insurance market who will lose their insurance and pay more to get coverage that meets the new minimum standards laid out by the ACA.

It turns out that she was paying $56 a month for a plan that covered — according to Yiddish experts — bubkis.

“She’s paying $650 a year to be uninsured,” Karen Pollitz, an insurance expert at the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation, told Consumer Reports. “I have to assume that she never really had to make much of a claim under this policy. She would have lost the house she’s sitting in if something serious had happened. I don’t know if she knows that.”

Still CBS News and Fox News presented her as canary in the Obamacare coal mine, suggesting her fate was indicative of the horrors waiting for millions. But even Fox’s Greta Van Susteren sussed out that Barrette’s story was bunk, Mediaite‘s Tommy Christopher — who has been doing a heroic job of debunking Obamacare “horror” stories — points out. After her appearance on Van Susteren’s show, Barrette’s further Fox News’ appearances were cancelled.

Even though Healthcare.gov is still crap, it was easy to discover that Barrette can get real coverage for under $200 a month. In fact, Consumer Report’s Nancy Metcalf did just that.

“To put these two plans in perspective, let’s imagine that Ms. Barrette’s luck runs out and she receives a diagnosis of breast cancer that will cost $120,000 to treat,” Metcalf wrote. “Under her current junk plan, she would probably receive no more than a few hundred dollars of benefits for doctor visits and drugs. It wouldn’t cover her surgery, her chemotherapy, her many expensive medications, or the repeated diagnostic tests she’d likely require. She would end up with probably $119,000 of unpaid medical bills. With the Humana plan, those bills top out at $6,300 a year, no matter what.”
              Also, to the charges that "You can keep it"

Finding out that your health insurance plan has been cancelled is terrible — especially when you have cancer.

This practice, known as recision, was one of the worst and first insurance industry abuses banned by the Affordable Care Act, along with annual caps on coverage and pre-existing conditions for kids.

Discovering that your insurance policy doesn’t cover much of anything after you or a family member has become sick is also unbearable.

The Affordable Care Act also seeks to end this far too common misery for the about 15% of America in the individual insurance market, which is why insurers are sending out millions of notices that inform people that their plans are being discontinued. Most of these policies do not meet the new requirements established by the law.

The good news is that if you earn over 400% of poverty, just over $40,000 for an individual and about $90,000 for a family of four, you can replace this policy with no fear that you or a family member will be denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition. You can do this now through a private insurer. It’s true that you may end up paying more for your coverage. But when you get sick, which you will, you and your family will be covered and able to retain coverage and shop for new coverage, even if you have a chronic ailment. And if your insurance company doesn’t spend enough on care, you’ll get a rebate.

The sort-of bad news is that if you earn under 400% of poverty you have to go to Healthcare.gov to get the subsidies that will help you pay for your new, more comprehensive plan. This is sort-of bad news because the site — depending on the state you live in — often doesn’t work, which is its own kind of misery. You have until December 15th to replace your plan by the beginning of next year and until the end of March to avoid paying the individual mandate.

After years of suggesting Obamacare would spark a Nazi, Communist and Satanic “government takeover” that would set the sky on fire, insurance plans that need to be upgraded and a broken website are what Republicans are stuck complaining about.

Of course, cancellation notices have been sent out by the millions over the last decade by the insurance industry. When these notices came, individuals then had to find insurance in a unregulated marketplace where they could be rejected for any reason whatsoever.

Republicans weren’t upset then.

26,000-45,000 Americans die every year for a lack of insurance. Any outrage from the GOP? Hundreds of thousands more go broke. Not an outrage. Trying to fix the broken system and not doing it seamlessly? Outrage. But outrage only good for 40+ repeals of Obamacare, not enough outrage to pass one plan to replace it.

The fact is America already has a socialized health care system, thanks in part to Ronald Reagan. It’s just socialized in the dumbest possible way, which is why we pay more for health care than any country in the world and don’t get anywhere near the best results. Emergency rooms can’t turn people away, driving up costs for all Americans. And instead of subsidizing the uninsured who are trying to get out of poverty, taxpayers subsidize Ted Cruz’s $40,000 health insurance plan.

Republicans do have a point that President Obama relied on a simplistic, untrue talking point to push his health law: If you like your plan, you can keep it.

He could have have nuanced it in a million ways, possibly by saying: If you like your plan, you’ll keep it or get something stronger. But he didn’t.

The president has no more elections to win. Despite the fact he prevented a depression, saved the auto industry and will end two wars, his legacy is tied to the Affordable Care Act, which is the greatest victory for the middle class since Medicare.

I think that the president should say that he should have been clearer.

He could say this then point out that most Americans will still not even notice a change in their policies, which are now stronger than ever. However, Americans in the individual market may need to find a new policy that meets basic requirements and will cover their family comprehensively. And millions of uninsured Americans, millions of Americans with pre-existing conditions will get affordable coverage, possibly for the first time, as we get Healthcare.gov working as well as it needs to.

If I were him, I would add:

But if you like the broken health care system that Republicans are trying to defend — a system where millions go broke each decade and millions more feel indentured to their employers for their family’s well-being, a system where insurance companies could sell policies that don’t cover enough then don’t spend enough on care, a system where America’s economy falls behind the rest of the world as thousands of Americans die needlessly — I’m sorry, you can’t keep that.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                It appears some people are still tryng to justify the theory to support the intention, while others are describing the effects and results of the actual law.

Where I see the biggest problem coming is in the destruction of the doctor-patient relationship. While subtler, it also appears to have been disguised deliberate intent.

Pre-PPACA, the theory was that the doctor was in charge of how "his/her" patients were treated: the personal physician was aware of all the medical considerations and had a sense of responsibility for how "his/her" patients fared.

One of the more pernicious effects (no matter what the "theory" says, I'm talking practical reality here) is the transformation of the physician from "boss" to "employee." I've seen first-hand what happens when a practitioner moves from private practice to the state payroll, and this process will only become more and more widespread.

No one person is responsible. The patient data is recorded in the chart, and whoever happens to be on duty at the time picks up the chart, reads it, and handles the situation until the end of his/her shift, after which the responsibility transfers over to whomever is next on the schedule. The whole concept of "my" doctor or "my" patients is tossed aside. We can't afford it any more. All must sacrifice to support the greater good.

DrD can probably speak more eloquently than me about how fundamentally transformative this is, and not at all for the better. There are abundant anecdotal stories from Britain about a patient who was ready for surgery at the end of the day who, because the preceding surgery ran long, had to wait for the next day because it was the end of shift and everyone just packed up and left.

This is a separate issue from a doctor shortage, which people can argue theory vs practicality elsewhere. It's the difference between treating "my" patients and making sure they are receiving all the care they need, and "okay, who's next on the list today? and I hope it doesn't take too long because I really have to get out of here by 5 today."

It's the difference between knowing the person, and managing the symptoms. All you blusterers are not going to like it, but by then it will be too late, and no one will take any pleasure in being right.
                All stated very well. One of these days when I feel particularly verbose-I will put up a few anecdotes from my own personal history of medical practice. I saw the handwriting on the wall many years ago-i adapted as most have as best i could but i refuse to compromise my treatment, work up, or expertise. i was always(and still am) my patient's advocate. It just got to be too difficult to fight for every single case with medicare and with insurers who demanded I do what is most expedient and what is most economical instead of what is in the best medical interest of my patients. Jenny and i spent 1/2 our day seeing and tending to patients-and 1/2 our day calling and fighting with insurers or the government. Often overlooked by many is the fact that mediclaly untrained individuals make decisions that your provider has to abide by-but they(these decision makers) cannot be held accountable for poor results or even for the death of a patient. The physician is the one who has to bear the legal burden. I am now semi retired-meaning no longer runring an office, I no longer accept government or third party intervention or payment. I choose who and what i treat-virtually all of it without compensation. I love what i was able to do for 40 years and i still love it today. For my own personal care and that of my family-i actively seek out physicians much like myself-who are willing to do their best regardless. But each year it gets more diffiuclt to find them as many retire(or die).

I do not blame all of this on the ACA. That is just the newest wrinkle in the control and invasion of the practice of medicine. I lay as much blame on physicians themselves, who, over the years, stood back and allowed all of the incursions to take place and took the easy way out. Go along with the system, even if it meant patients got substandard care instead of organizing and standing up for practicing what is best for each patient.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Starting to hear some rumblings about the latest, maybe the biggest "OOOOOPS" yet out of the incompetent Obama White House. Remember the 7 billion times he chanted "If you like your health care plan. You can keep your health care plan." Yeah... not so much. It turns out millions of people are being kicked off their fully funded insurance rolls onto the "street" of Obamacare, which is proving impossible for most families to buy. Nobody yet knows, and Obama least of all, where this mess is going to lead going forward. Full fledged revolt is growing more and more likely in the "IRS overreach" department. They can't put everyone in jail at once.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

It's an example. Try not being so literal.
                    I wasn't supposed to continue your metaphor in my reply?

Comment

The horror. The horror.

Also, to the charges that "You can keep it"
                      "I believe that deck chair looks better over there."
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

"...prevented a depression..."

That's a rich statement, which glosses over the fact that we're still in the midst of a long-term recession, with U4 unemployment still north of 7%.

And as I've said a few times before, I voted for Obama the first time around, so don't go lumping me into the angry conservative category. I realize that the President's effect on the national economy is significantly weaker than the James Carvilles of the world would have us believe. But to credit Obama with singlehandedly preventing another depression is a huge stretch.

Comment

Found out last week that my premiums are going up something like 10-15%, my deductible is going up 10+%, and my out of pocket max is going up by nearly 50% (over $2,000)
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            "...prevented a depression..."

That's a rich statement, which glosses over the fact that we're still in the midst of a long-term recession, with U4 unemployment still north of 7%.

And as I've said a few times before, I voted for Obama the first time around, so don't go lumping me into the angry conservative category. I realize that the President's effect on the national economy is significantly weaker than the James Carvilles of the world would have us believe. But to credit Obama with singlehandedly preventing another depression is a huge stretch.
                            Wasn't just him. 99% of what Obama did to prevent it Bush was already doing before he left. As for the recession that continues give John Boner a call and ask him about JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. See what he says.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Found out last week that my premiums are going up something like 10-15%, my deductible is going up 10+%, and my out of pocket max is going up by nearly 50% (over $2,000)
                              You are still relatively fortunate. My wife renewed her policy with horizon B/C in NJ and the increase was 19%. Deductible stayed the same($5000) and out of pocket cost is now maxed out at $10,000. Drug coverage is abyssmal-50/50 copay but only of the price that horizon deems appropriate for the drug-and ti had better be a generic or the reimbursement is a pittance of the cost. She was forced to make an ER visit 2 weeks ago and we bore the entire cost since the first $100 went to her ER copay and the remainder of the bill all to her deductilbe. Unfortunately for us-this is october-so a completely new deductible starts on 1/1/14 so we will be on the hook again for most bills. after all of this-Horizon sends her a letter that this will be the last renewal due to the fact that this policy does not meet ACA standards. They assure us they will offer her acceptable coverage when this policy is cancelled-but they have no idea as yet what the deductible, copay, premium or even the drug coverage will be. I did manage to ask why she will need obstetrical coverage-after all she had a hysterectomy years ago and there is no possibility of a preganancy. The representative actually just got very quiet. Let me see the fervent supporters blame this one on GW Bush(and he was not one of my favorites either).
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Yeah, the generic/brand thing is an absolute scam. I have recently come to find out the medication I take had a "generic equivalent" approved. It hardly worked. I could actually feel the difference between the two. It was incredible. The off was sudden and dramatic. It lasted a few hours less than the brand I had been taking.

I came to find out the actual medication was therapeutically equivalent but the delivery mechanism wasn't. And it wasn't even close. The generics available for this medication are simply not equivalent and after months of suffering through the lower cost but relatively ineffective medicine, I've decided to pay the penalties. It's not worth having my daily life impacted despite doubling my costs.

All because the FDA and insurance companies, people who have no personal experience and no medical understanding of the drug have made a decision (and an incorrect one at that) with a great financial impact to me.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X