This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

Thesis: people in government can't be trusted to administer a program "fairly"
    Evidence: the language of PPACA said that whatever was passed, members of Congress and their staffs had to participate in it just like everyone else.
    the exchanges haven't even started yet, and already members of Congress and their staffs are now exempted from PPACA.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Thesis: people in government can't be trusted to administer a program "fairly"
      Evidence: the language of PPACA said that whatever was passed, members of Congress and their staffs had to participate in it just like everyone else.
      the exchanges haven't even started yet, and already members of Congress and their staffs are now exempted from PPACA.
      So who should administer the program? Whatever it is, doesn't matter. Who do you think would be best to administer whatever program we have?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I thought a democracy was when your friends and neighbors think an idea is horrible, it dies (the tyranny of the majority) but a republic is when your friends and neighbors think it's a horrible idea, but it still passes because it's best for everyone, not just your friends and neighbors.
        I made the Republic vs Democracy argument because if I had said we live in a Republic someone would have said "We live in the Democracy!" and we would be left arguing which it is

The point is, he doesn't have to move to Vermont if he can convince enough people near him that it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          The problem with that is we live in a Republic (not a Democracy like almost everyone assumes).
          The bigger problem with that is that most people probably wouldn't mind living in Vermont in the grand scheme of things. At the least, you could have a nice comfortable life there if you chose.

I doubt any selfish d-bags...err...libertarians would actually want to move to Somalia.

Comment

The Chicago Tribune is concerned.

Cheeseheads are going to take it on the chin?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Well how about THIS joey, turns out premiums are coming in lower than expected. You can read the whole study if you'd like...

http://wonkwire.rollcall.com/2013/09...care-premiums/
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Well how about THIS joey, turns out premiums are coming in lower than expected. You can read the whole study if you'd like...

http://wonkwire.rollcall.com/2013/09...care-premiums/
                You realize that your "lower than expected" does not necessarily contradict joe's "higher than they were before," right? Right?
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  You realize that your "lower than expected" does not necessarily contradict joe's "higher than they were before," right? Right?
                  Depends on the starting point. "Higher than before" if you previously had no coverage? Sure as the rest of us were paying that bill for them. Its also higher if you had a plan that covered nothing short of a visit to the ER's trauma center.

Problem with much of the analysis we see is it doesn't take into account the tax credits for purchasing the insurance, unlike the link I posted which does include that info.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Depends on the starting point. "Higher than before" if you previously had no coverage? Sure as the rest of us were paying that bill for them. Its also higher if you had a plan that covered nothing short of a visit to the ER's trauma center.

Problem with much of the analysis we see is it doesn't take into account the tax credits for purchasing the insurance, unlike the link I posted which does include that info.
                    The tax credits for premiums is still a cost assigned to me and you. It just comes from the IRS and not the insurance companies or hospitals anymore.

And my starting point is what my insurance premiums were last year vs. what they are this year and what I get out of it. So far I'm losing with this Obamacare compliant insurance my company moved us into vs. the "Cadiallac" coverage we had in the past.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The tax credits for premiums is still a cost assigned to me and you. It just comes from the IRS and not the insurance companies or hospitals anymore.

And my starting point is what my insurance premiums were last year vs. what they are this year and what I get out of it. So far I'm losing with this Obamacare compliant insurance my company moved us into vs. the "Cadiallac" coverage we had in the past.
                      Its also a cost to treat un-insured people at the ER as well as those who wait too long to seek medical help. Hence an offset to those costs now via Obamacare.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

This.

The entire premise of Obamacare is that if everyone is covered, people will stop using emergency care and people will get preventive/early care, so total costs should come down. There are two major "sources" of health care spending: government subsidies (i.e. the portion of our taxes that go to pay for healthcare) and premium payments by those who are covered. If total costs were really coming down, then one or both of those entities (government and premium payers) should be spending *less* than they were before. So far, I've seen precious little evidence that this is occurring or will occur in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          This.

The entire premise of Obamacare is that if everyone is covered, people will stop using emergency care and people will get preventive/early care, so total costs should come down. There are two major "sources" of health care spending: government subsidies (i.e. the portion of our taxes that go to pay for healthcare) and premium payments by those who are covered. If total costs were really coming down, then one or both of those entities (government and premium payers) should be spending *less* than they were before. So far, I've seen precious little evidence that this is occurring or will occur in the near future.
                          Not necessarily. If more people are using preventative care more often that might offset the gains made by them waiting and using critical care at the ER. It will lead to a higher quality of life for those impacted, but that's not something that fits neatly in a bar graph or an income statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            Not necessarily. If more people are using preventative care more often that might offset the gains made by them waiting and using critical care at the ER. It will lead to a higher quality of life for those impacted, but that's not something that fits neatly in a bar graph or an income statement.
                            Sure it does. You'll find it filed under R for "Redistribution of Wealth."

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              This.

The point of Obamacare from its supporters wasn't that you'd be seeing lower costs year over year. This is a false argument and frankly an impossible task. The point was to bend the cost curve so that health care expenditures got more in line with the growth in inflation, i.e. a sustainable rate. Healthcare costs aren't there yet, but even the CBO has downgraded the expected future increases in projected health care expenditures.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...pending-drops/

The key to all of this is delivering the care more efficiently, not random cuts (or for that matter random tax hikes). Obamacare to its credit and something we don't always see out of govt policy is forward looking as it seeks to change the way care is delivered on a patient by patient basis instead of billing by procedure. That as well as getting people out of the ER for routine care is what will continue to bend the cost curve.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Sure it does. You'll find it filed under R for "Redistribution of Wealth."
                                I forgot...there are some people who watch It's a Wonderful Life and think Potter is the good guy.
                                Last edited by Priceless; 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X